How much are you comfortable in breastfeeding your baby ?

dr_farzan

Mar 21, 2005
Sweden
Breast milk is the only food your baby needs for the first 4 to 6 months of life. It is advisable to continue to breastfeed your baby for a minimum of one year, and preferably for a full two years. Breast milk is specifically designed to meet the needs of the human infant, just as the milk of other mammals is specifically designed to meet the needs of their young. Breast milk also provides immune protection, reduces risk of allergies, decreases the incidence of respiratory, gastrointestinal, and other illnesses, helps to create a wonderful bond between you and your infant.
How much are you comfortable in breastfeeding your baby ?

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
RE: How much are you comfortable in breastfeeding your baby

i know i'm probably gonna be alone on this, but i am personally bothered when i'm enjoying a meal at my favourite restaurant and someone at the table near me starts breastfeeding.

not while i eat, damnit.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast

I loved breast feeding and I did it wherever I was. Discreetly of course. However, if anyone stared at me rudely expecting me to feed my babe in the bathroom I stared beck at them till they figured out it was best to mind their own business. That only happened twice. ;)

If you're uncomfortable seeing a woman's (covered) breast, don't look.
If it's the manner of feeding that bothers you.... I sure hope your manners are impeccable.... no talking with food in your mouth, no playing chew 'n' show.... you get my point.

I even nursed while wandering the aisles at Costco, and no-one noticed.:D

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: How much are you comf

I personally find it hard to understand how anyone would be disturbed at the sight of a baby nursing. I've tried to understand but I can't figure it out.

We don't get upset watching kittens nurse, or puppies nurse, or kid goats or calves or foals....

I wonder if it has something to do with the "dirtiness" of it being a human BREAST. I wonder if subconciously it makes some feel that they can no longer enjoy the sexual aspect of a breast once they see the real reason women have them?

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com

i can assure you i've enjoyed one or two human breasts since the last time i had the displeasure of witnessing a breastfeeding in a restaurant.

i would be just as bothered if a kitten, puppie or goat were nursing near my table at a restaurant as i am by a person.

and ladyc, i would never make mention of it to the woman, as it's the restaurant's policy to allow such behaviour. more often than not, i ask for my meal to be wrapped up and i'll finish it at home or in the car or what-have-you.

as i stipulated, i expect to be in the minority on this issue.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast

Such behaviour?

You don't need to mention it... we can see it in your eyes. Not that I cared. I was discreet in my nursing, even in the privacy of my own home, but I'll admit to a secret pleasure knowing it disturbed some people - probably the same people that were just ogling the underwear model on the side of the bus.

Something's seriously wrong with a society that sees breast-feeding a baby as somehow shameful, yet wants to see a little breast on TV.

I'm surprised at you, fubbleskag. I get the impression you're younger than me. Isn't every generation supposed to be more enlightened than the one previous?

Makes me wish I were still nursing......

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Re: How much are you comfortable in breastfeeding your baby

I would like to know why the good doctor is asking these questions? Is he doing some kind of research...they seem to be only women type questions...I would like to ask the doctor a few male type questions....like once my brother had a picture of a man from india with a case of elephantitsis, my brother called it. His balls were so big, he had to carry them around in a wheel barrel...Is this for real?? Can this really happen to a mans balls?? what causes this??

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Pea, it's caused by round worms! It can happen, it does happen.

Saw the same picture.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Really 8O and I just thought my brother was dreaming as usual :lol: :lol: :lol: Wow no cure...what a horrible life the poor man must have suffered 8O

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I haven't heard about whether it's painfull or not. Looks painful. But just think....that guy was able to say without a shadow of a doubt and with obviously visual proof that he does in fact have the biggest balls of them all! Bon Scott is rolling in his grave right this very minute.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Really, or are you simply picturing a man with gianormous balls?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...well ehm..no I was trying to figure out how he did things trying to get around with them in a wheel barrel...think about it 8O I seriously doubt he could..*whispers*
preform :p Shhhhhhh

Worms you say, what kind of worms? please continue it is most fascinating...really

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Round worms. Apprently they infect the lymphatic system and that's why things swell. I can't remember if the worms are ingested from tainted water or if they burrow their way in.

dr_farzan

Mar 21, 2005
Sweden

Peapod, thank you for the question.Elephantitis or elephantiasis is the gross ,visible enlargement of the arms, legs, or genitals to very large size.It is the result of a parasitic infection caused by three kinds of round worms transmitted by particular species of mosquitoes.The worms block the body's lymphatic system which can lead to great swelling, called "lymphedema." that they resemble an elephant's foreleg in size.Long-term infection can lead to hydrocele in the scrotum, the scenario you were talking about.It is the result of lack of medical care at the right time. This disease can be well controlled, if diagonised in the early stages.Some times,several courses of diethylcarbamazine treatment over a long time period may be necessary.

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
Re: RE: How much are you comfortable in breastfeeding your b

LadyC said:
Something's seriously wrong with a society that sees breast-feeding a baby as somehow shameful, yet wants to see a little breast on TV.
as i've said twice now, and i'll repeat once more just to be sure we're clear - i am quite certain that i am a minority on this issue, thereby making this statement completely ridiculous. if society truly deemed public breastfeeding as distasteful, it wouldn't be allowed in public. see smoking for a working example of this in practice.

LadyC said:
I'm surprised at you, fubbleskag. I get the impression you're younger than me. Isn't every generation supposed to be more enlightened than the one previous?
my personal tastes have nothing to do with enlightenement, but i find it amusing that you would even mentino enlightenement after a comment such as this:
LadyC said:
...but I'll admit to a secret pleasure knowing it disturbed some people...

choppie

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2005

meh....breastfeed wherever or whenever....it don't bother me but I am glad that rooms are provided for people who are shy...

acidcomplex

Mar 29, 2005
Canada

yeah theres nothing else better Id like to see than some woman who is a deuce fity, flop out her headlights to give her baby some food, use a room. :)

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now