The Greatest

gerryh
+2 / -1
The Greatest has left us. RIP, you will be missed.

And if you don't know who "The Greatest" was, then don't bother posting in the thread.

bill barilko
+3
RIP-A True Hero to Millions Worldwide

skookumchuck
+2 / -1
Oh, you mean the guy that became a Muslim as soon as he was drafted? Odd, he tried to tell us that his religion forbade him fighting, does not seem to bother the other muzzies hmmmm.
He would not shoulder a rifle for his country but he would beat someones brains out in a heartbeat for money. Good on the dead azzhole.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

RIP

bill barilko

taxslave
+1 / -1
Elvis died a long time ago.

Kreskin
One of the great sports personalities of all time.

personal touch
RIP,I am going with it,call me a copycat if you wish.

talloola
+2
you were as big as life itself, pure entertainment, and you'll be missed.

RIP

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
He's been sick for a lot of years. RIP MA.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

The Greatest has left us. RIP, you will be missed. And if you don't know who "The Greatest" was, then don't bother posting in the thread.

Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

RIP-A True Hero to Millions Worldwide

for a second I though William katt had died.

B00Mer
Boxing legend Muhammad Ali dies at 74

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2016/...ies-at-74.html

Ludlow
+2
Unique individual.

The Muhammed Ali Parkinson Center is a large wing of Saint Joseph Hospital in Phoenix. Named after a man who faced a number of battles. His greatest being his long battle with this disease. Along with Michael J. Fox and others the awareness he brought to this debilitating disease enhances research that may some day provide answers that are not yet known. If you're ever in uptown Phoenix and drive down Thomas Road around 3rd Street you'll see his name in big letters. I think he would be more proud of this Memorial than all his other accomplishments combined. Rest in peace Sir.

Curious Cdn
It shows how dangerous sports lke boxing are. His " Dementia pugilistica" Parkinson's was as cruel as Altzheimer's.

lone wolf
Boxing legend Muhammad Ali dies at 74 (external - login to view)

Rest in peace

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

Oh, you mean the guy that became a Muslim as soon as he was drafted? Odd, he tried to tell us that his religion forbade him fighting, does not seem to bother the other muzzies hmmmm.
He would not shoulder a rifle for his country but he would beat someones brains out in a heartbeat for money. Good on the dead azzhole.

The Amish and the Quakers, among others, don't fight. Other Christians not only fight, they torture, murder, and rape little boys.

As to your second point, I really can't help you if you can't grasp the difference between a boxing match and war. Maybe intensive cognitive therapy and special ed program. . .

#juan
+4
#17  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

you were as big as life itself, pure entertainment, and you'll be missed.

RIP

Yes he will. Whatever else he was, he was the finest boxer the world has known. RIP

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Boxing legend Muhammad Ali dies at 74 (external - login to view)

Rest in peace

The world is a little worse of a place today. R.I.P. Muhammad

Curious Cdn
Merge this or dig two graves.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Merge this or dig two graves.

"The Greatest" isn't one of those descriptive thread titles. I put in the order quite a while ago. Where were you then, boss?

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

You mean the guy who didn't run away to Canada, but went to jail for his convictions. In retrospect, the Vietnam War was a complete waste of human life. Unless of course you were rich enough to go to college, then you didn't have to go off and die somewhere in the jungle. If Ali had gone along he would have probably gotten a pass because of his celebrity, but he chose instead to do the unpopular thing and went to jail.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

You mean the guy who didn't run away to Canada, but went to jail for his convictions. In retrospect, the Vietnam War was a complete waste of human life. Unless of course you were rich enough to go to college, then you didn't have to go off and die somewhere in the jungle. If Ali had gone along he would have probably gotten a pass because of his celebrity, but he chose instead to do the unpopular thing and went to jail.

This won't be a popular observation but one of the main original reasons for fighting in Southeast Asia was to stop the spread of Communism. The cost was likely too high but after the fall of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, the classic Soviet version of Communism went no further. Just a look over our shoulders. A century or two from now, the Vietnam War may be considered to have been a limited success.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2

This won't be a popular observation but one of the main original reasons for fighting in Southeast Asia was to stop the spread of Communism. The cost was likely too high but after the fall of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, the classic Soviet version of Communism went no further. Just a look over our shoulders. A century or two from now, the Vietnam War may be considered to have been a limited success.

I have nothing but respect for the soldiers who fought there, but poor folk were used as fodder. The fact that draftees could get a pass if they were in college makes it all the more disgusting.

lone wolf
+1

This is a less popular version ... but Vietnam was a war to unite the Vietnams and evict the French. The sad part is, Ho Chi Minh welcomed the support of Communists as much as he did Americans,

It really wasn't Clay's fight
Last edited by lone wolf; Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:47 AM..

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehbones

Other Christians not only fight, they torture, murder, and rape little boys.

Such people have nothing to do with Christianity.

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

pretty sure the dude didn't go to prison. he won an appeal.

he might have been a good boxer but the rest of his personal life seemed as much of a steve harvey dog's breakfast as most. multiple marriages, kids out of wedlock, money troubles, trying on different religions, sunni, sufism...not to mention his 10 years with those racist nation of islam bastards.

MHz
How did he get that disease that messed up his co-ordination?

Ludlow

Well I'll be. You mean to tell me one of our heros that we put on a pedestal actually turned out to be less than perfect like Elvis, Pres. Kennedy, and 100% of all our other heros ? Thank you for reminding all of us that he was human on the day of the mans death. We can only hope that one day a hero will come along as virtuous as you.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

How did he get that disease that messed up his co-ordination?

I heard that every time you take a blow to the head, the brain bleeds some. Most boxers end up punch drunk I think.

coldstream
+2
Nobody was so emblamatic the turbulent 60s and early 70s in America and world, as Muhammed Ali... from Civil Rights, to Viet Nam to Social and Cultural revolutions.. Ali was at the centre of the whirlwind. His charisma gave voice to the disenfranchised and to dissent out of the stultifying political conformity and systemic racism of the 50s.

As far as his career as a boxer goes, I never saw Ali live, but three notable events of his career are branded onto my memory. The first was the Ali/Chuvalo fight of 1966, televised live as i remember it. It was a bruising, bloody brawl (as were many of Chuvalo's fights), with Chuvalo beaten, but standing at end of it. The first and last to do so until Frazier in 1971. Ali remembered Chuvalo as toughest man he ever fought.

The second was the Ali/Frazier fight of 1971. Some highschool friends and I bought tickets (i think $9) to what was likely the first global sports simulcast in history on the big screen at Maple Leaf Gardens. The place was packed and electric with excitement. We were treated to what was, imho, the greatest boxing match in history, although Ali lost the decision (you could argue the Thrilla and Manila was as good).

The third was in 1974. I was in a student bar, watching a live band. The Rumble in the Jungle in Zaire was on that night.. but everyone assumed the Ali would be destroyed by the impregnable George Foreman. The lead singer started a set by announcing that Ali had knocked out Foreman in the 8th round to a spontaneous, fist pumping cheer from the audience. Got roaring drunk in salute.

Thanks for memories, Champ... rest in peace.
Last edited by coldstream; Jun 4th, 2016 at 01:55 PM..

FiveParadox
+1
Threads merged.