Richard Dawkins: Telling children the myth of Santa Claus could damage them

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Sounds like he's elf-medicating again

More proof that dawkins is an idiot.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

A PHD in zoology telling us the world is overheating...

A Biologist who thinks he thinks he's a Psychiatrist....

A real bizzaro world we're turning into..............

It's a bizarro WESTERN world we're turning into to. The rest of the world doesn't follow this modern, silly, PC nonsense that we follow.

I blame left-wing radical students in Yankee campuses in the 1970s.

Cliffy
Santa Claus is a Coke commercial icon representing mindless consumerism. Judging by the posts on this thread. Santa has you all brainwashed.... HAHAHAHA!!!

Blackleaf
This is the kind of "there is no Santa Claus! He is not real! He's just from a Coca-Cola advert" thread that we traditionally have on this forum over the Christmas period.

Anyone reading it will probably be right into coming to the conclusion that Canada is now a nation of Christmas-hating, misery-guts Scrooges who probably get some kind of sick perverted pleasure in telling their children that Santa isn't real. You never see this on other nations' forums.

Zipperfish
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Especially when it's science. It's how religion started. As science.

I don't think that's very likely.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

This is the kind of "there is no Santa Claus! He is not real! He's just from a Coca-Cola advert" thread that we traditionally have on this forum over the Christmas period.

Anyone reading it will probably be right into coming to the conclusion that Canada is now a nation of Christmas-hating, misery-guts Scrooges who probably get some kind of sick perverted pleasure in telling their children that Santa isn't real. You never see this on other nations' forums.

Bah Humbug! Buy the kids all; the toxic plastic crap made in China all you want. When they get sick and/or die you can blame it on Santa.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Santa Claus is a Coke commercial icon representing mindless consumerism. Judging by the posts on this thread. Santa has you all brainwashed.... HAHAHAHA!!!

Did he not get you the pot you asked for for Christmas?

darkbeaver
+1
Dawkins works his paid role as a leading skeptic and recognized expert of reality, scientific and otherwise, of course in his limited mind he considers it appropriate to teach Darwinism and the Big Bang the two leading science fairy tales of the modern era. I got over the shock of Santas mythical nature as soon as I confirmed, Scientifically,the uninterrupted flow of material goods on that sacred date despite my new found disbelief. I was worried for a while.

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

myths and fairy tales are a part of every culture known to humanity - there has never been any proof that any of this causes harm to children

Except when one of a myth's true believer blows himself up on a busy street.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Or joins the army to "fight for freedom."

Spade
+1
Or "Queen and country"
Santa Claus is real; democracy isn't.

darkbeaver
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Or "Queen and country"
Santa Claus is real; democracy isn't.

Hmmm, that's a disturbing but sound observation. Well it should be disturbing. People assume that democracy is real and Santa mythical but the later overwhelmingly consumes more effort of every kind than the former which is only assumed but not at all exercised. Actions speak louder than words? I'm troubled with the definition of real which seems to have escaped me while I read your post. I'm close to awknowlegeing Santa as real. Is information real, the idea of Santa Clause might be more real than the idea of democracy. Both stories are happy glad titing kind of things ain't they, the one might be the other, democracy wears a beard too. The chimney might be taken as the barrel of a cannon.

Spade
Nicely said!

darkbeaver
+1
Thanyou for the pat on the head Spade. I have willed my scriblings to the smithsonian.

Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Santa bomber! Really, there was this movie

Spade
It wasn't meant as a pat, but a quiet cheer.

darkbeaver
I will no doubt be published several hundred years from now when the ruins of the Smithsonian are excavated by 27th century Chinese argheologistss

I think I'm building an excuse for giving myself something special thgis coming christmas, Cuba I think.

Spade
You are wise to pick Cuba over the Island of Hispaniola. The beaches are cleaner, the people friendlier - a more pleasant place all around.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

You are wise to pick Cuba over the Island of Hispaniola. The beaches are cleaner, the people friendlier - a more pleasant place all around.

I've never met friendlier people, they picked me out of bushes and off the beach, my daughters wedding compelled me to go, I can't get it out of my system, I have to go back. So my plan is simp,le, when the first frost appears on the car I load my luggage and drive to the airport when the last danger of frost expires I return to romp in NS.

I simply cAN'T TOLERATE ANOTHER NINE MONTH WINTER.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Correction: The image we all know of Santa today is a Coca Cola icon, but the "Person" - Santa Claus - has existed long before that and has been referenced or tied to characters as far back as Germanic Pagan beliefs and Odin himself.

Santa Claus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1881 illustration by Thomas Nast who, with the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas", helped to create the modern image of Santa Claus.

A 13th-century Egyptian depiction of St. Nicholas from Saint Catherine's Monastery, Sinai.

Folk tale depiction of Father Christmas riding on a goat.

A man dressed up as Santa Claus fundraising for Volunteers of America on the sidewalk of street in Chicago, Illinois, in 1902. He is wearing a mask with a beard attached.

Quote:

Images of Santa Claus were further popularized through Haddon Sundblom's depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company's Christmas advertising in the 1930s. The popularity of the image spawned urban legends that Santa Claus was invented by The Coca-Cola Company or that Santa wears red and white because they are the colors used to promote the Coca-Cola brand. Historically, Coca-Cola was not the first soft drink company to utilize the modern image of Santa Claus in its advertising—White Rock Beverages had already used a red and white Santa to sell mineral water in 1915 and then in advertisements for its ginger ale in 1923. Earlier still, Santa Claus had appeared dressed in red and white and essentially in his current form on several covers of Puck magazine in the first few years of the 20th century.

Learn some history.
Last edited by Praxius; Jun 5th, 2014 at 10:07 PM..

gopher
+1
Honestly, I cannot even begin to imagine my childhood without Christmas and Santa Claus. It would be a much sadder world if this legend didn't exist.