US, Canada should merge into one country

B00Mer
US Eh?

No two nations in the world are as integrated, economically and socially, as the United States and Canada. We share geography, values and a gigantic border.

Regardless of this close friendship, our two countries are on a slow-motion collision course — with each other and with the rest of the world.

In 1987, the two countries signed the Free Trade Agreement (Mexico joined in 1994) but the US-Canada border has become more clogged than ever, hurting trade and tourism. There are heavy regulations, security controls and border police, the result of terrorist threats and extensive drug smuggling from Canada that has forced US officials to deploy drones and set up listening posts.

Border problems are also due to neglect. Talks to create joint infrastructure have dragged on for years. An initiative announced in 2011 aimed at creating a two-country security perimeter, by blending police, immigration, customs and anti-terrorist efforts, has still not delivered results.

While both countries wrestle with internal political challenges, meanwhile, the economies of the larger world change and flourish. The International Monetary Fund forecasts that by 2018, China’s economy will be bigger than that of the United States and Asian economies will be bigger than the US, Canada, Germany, Britain, France, Italy and Russia combined.

Rather than continuing on this road to mutual decline, the United States and Canada should chart a new course — by joining forces.

The United States and Canada could merge into one country, or follow a European Union model that eliminates the border without merging the two governments.

At the very least, the nations should discuss joint ventures to develop Canada’s staggering, and untapped, resources in the north, an area three times bigger than Alaska.

If combined, the US and Canada would have an economy larger than the European Union. The two would be an economic superpower, bigger than South America in size, with more energy, metals and minerals, water, arable land and technology than any other nation, all protected by America’s military.

Citizens of the merged countries would have more options in terms of jobs, business opportunities, climates, studies and lifestyles.

Of course, a merger, as the Europeans discovered, can be difficult. The US and Canada have unique cultures, governments, health care, taxes, gun laws and legal systems. But we have far more similarities than differences.

Good mergers, in business or diplomacy, create advantages and opportunities. But they also deliver sound defensive strategies. Emerging economies, and the Chinese version of state capitalism, compete against the US and Canada and are aggressively and effectively winning the new Economic Cold War with their arsenal of “soft” economic weapons. These include the deployment of secretive sovereign wealth funds, government-controlled corporations and diplomatic pressure to gain control of mines, oil fields, land and even occasionally politicians.

China has targeted Canada’s resources and Russia has declared that all of the Arctic is Russian. China is now the largest owner of farmland in Africa and last month bought 5% of the land in Ukraine to help feed its people.

South Koreans attempted to take over half of Madagascar’s arable land and were only repelled after the people and military revolted and brought in a new leader. Arab nations are buying huge tracts of farmland and gaining political influence by doing so. Water, oil and metals are becoming issues going forward in these regions too.

By joining forces, such looming problems can be overcome: The US will gain national security, energy and resource independence and create millions of jobs in helping develop Canada’s north; and Canada will be able to defend and develop its huge landmass, overcoming lack of capital, workers, technology and military might.
As a business writer and citizen of both countries, I believe that forming a more perfect union should top our bilateral priorities.

The status quo is not an option, and by combining efforts and marshaling resources between two trusted and traditional partners, Canada and America will remain prosperous and also be able to protect our shared values.

source: US, Canada should merge into one country | New York Post (external - login to view)

source #2: The Big Idea: Why Canada and U.S. Should Merge - The Daily Beast (external - login to view)

Give it 10 more years and Canada and the USA will be one country..

darkbeaver
+2
The Boom never heard of NAFTA nor the TPP agreements I would guess. As fer American values, sure, more reality TV and cheezeburgers couldn't hurt an already fifty percent brain dead N American population.

The entire article reeks of commercial grade bovine feces designed to communicate with those same above brain dead.

Boomer could you supply a list of these famous shared values? Never mind we both share values with Israel according to our corrupt pocket politicians.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

US Eh?

No two nations in the world are as integrated, economically and socially, as the United States and Canada. We share geography, values and a gigantic border.

Regardless of this close friendship, our two countries are on a slow-motion collision course — with each other and with the rest of the world.

In 1987, the two countries signed the Free Trade Agreement (Mexico joined in 1994) but the US-Canada border has become more clogged than ever, hurting trade and tourism. There are heavy regulations, security controls and border police, the result of terrorist threats and extensive drug smuggling from Canada that has forced US officials to deploy drones and set up listening posts.

Border problems are also due to neglect. Talks to create joint infrastructure have dragged on for years. An initiative announced in 2011 aimed at creating a two-country security perimeter, by blending police, immigration, customs and anti-terrorist efforts, has still not delivered results.

While both countries wrestle with internal political challenges, meanwhile, the economies of the larger world change and flourish. The International Monetary Fund forecasts that by 2018, China’s economy will be bigger than that of the United States and Asian economies will be bigger than the US, Canada, Germany, Britain, France, Italy and Russia combined.

Rather than continuing on this road to mutual decline, the United States and Canada should chart a new course — by joining forces.

The United States and Canada could merge into one country, or follow a European Union model that eliminates the border without merging the two governments.

At the very least, the nations should discuss joint ventures to develop Canada’s staggering, and untapped, resources in the north, an area three times bigger than Alaska.

If combined, the US and Canada would have an economy larger than the European Union. The two would be an economic superpower, bigger than South America in size, with more energy, metals and minerals, water, arable land and technology than any other nation, all protected by America’s military.

Citizens of the merged countries would have more options in terms of jobs, business opportunities, climates, studies and lifestyles.

Of course, a merger, as the Europeans discovered, can be difficult. The US and Canada have unique cultures, governments, health care, taxes, gun laws and legal systems. But we have far more similarities than differences.

Good mergers, in business or diplomacy, create advantages and opportunities. But they also deliver sound defensive strategies. Emerging economies, and the Chinese version of state capitalism, compete against the US and Canada and are aggressively and effectively winning the new Economic Cold War with their arsenal of “soft” economic weapons. These include the deployment of secretive sovereign wealth funds, government-controlled corporations and diplomatic pressure to gain control of mines, oil fields, land and even occasionally politicians.

China has targeted Canada’s resources and Russia has declared that all of the Arctic is Russian. China is now the largest owner of farmland in Africa and last month bought 5% of the land in Ukraine to help feed its people.

South Koreans attempted to take over half of Madagascar’s arable land and were only repelled after the people and military revolted and brought in a new leader. Arab nations are buying huge tracts of farmland and gaining political influence by doing so. Water, oil and metals are becoming issues going forward in these regions too.

By joining forces, such looming problems can be overcome: The US will gain national security, energy and resource independence and create millions of jobs in helping develop Canada’s north; and Canada will be able to defend and develop its huge landmass, overcoming lack of capital, workers, technology and military might.
As a business writer and citizen of both countries, I believe that forming a more perfect union should top our bilateral priorities.

The status quo is not an option, and by combining efforts and marshaling resources between two trusted and traditional partners, Canada and America will remain prosperous and also be able to protect our shared values.

source: US, Canada should merge into one country | New York Post (external - login to view)

source #2: The Big Idea: Why Canada and U.S. Should Merge - The Daily Beast (external - login to view)

Give it 10 more years and Canada and the USA will be one country..

Nah, I like you guys but don't want to "sleep" with you! -

petros
+3
No thanks.

gerryh
+6
#5  Top Rated Post
Why? americans running out of kids to send to war?

karrie
+5
From what I see, both are maxed out for their ability for their central governments to be able to effectively provide for their widespread and varied populations. Merger would be a disaster.

Locutus
Sounds like an excellent idea.

Excellent.

EagleSmack
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

From what I see, both are maxed out for their ability for their central governments to be able to effectively provide for their widespread and varied populations. Merger would be a disaster.

It would be a disaster for Canada I think.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Why? americans running out of kids to send to war?

Nope

El Barto
+5
Thumbs down on this idea

petros
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Nope

That,s what Mexicans are for. Green Card Soldiers.

El Barto
+3
I think we have enough debt to payback I wouldn't want the load they have.
Just that would be a good enough reason not to. I think we would lose out way more then any type of gain we may think we would get.

karrie
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

It would be a disaster for Canada I think.

A failed merger is a disaster for all involved.

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

The entire article reeks

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Sounds like an excellent idea.

Excellent.

Hey darkestbeaver...my entire post should have reeked of sarcasm to you but your red says otherwise. So sarcastic as a matter of fact that I used 'excellent' twice.

No harm no foul and I'm over the hurt, but really man...

lone wolf
+6
I know people who have lost their best friends by marrying them. A Canada US marriage would be the perfect example.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
I think borders need realigning, but toward more countries, not fewer. I suggest:

Nunavut
Acadia
Canada
The Atlantic Republic
Dixie
The Republic of Texas
Bundesrepublik Mitte
The Wild West
Pacifica

darkbeaver
+2

Hey darkestbeaver...my entire post should have reeked of sarcasm to you but your red says otherwise. So sarcastic as a matter of fact that I used 'excellent' twice.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA, relax, I did it for the children reading this thread. Even sarcastic positives on this subject must be suppressed without regard to personal feelings and I do have some and it did hurt quite a bit to push the button on you but, even granny would get the same. I have defended my country, I will simply smoke away any residual guilt.

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I think borders need realigning, but toward more countries, not fewer. I suggest:

Nunavut
Acadia
Canada
The Atlantic Republic
Dixie
The Republic of Texas
Bundesrepublik Mitte
The Wild West
Pacifica

Excellent idea, and if anything of freedom would exist it must happen.

Tecumsehsbones

Excellent idea, and if anything of freedom would exist it must happen.

No, this arrangement would reduce, not increase, freedom. That's the whole point.

petros
We have too much freedom as it is.

darkbeaver

No, this arrangement would reduce, not increase, freedom. That's the whole point.

Which arrangement are you referring to, the OPs or your more countries suggestion?

EagleSmack
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

A failed merger is a disaster for all involved.

Geez Karrie... I don't know what the downside for the US is of absorbing Canada into the US.

Of course this is all far fetched... this idea. I am making assumptions on the form of government that would certainly not be a parliamentary government with the Royal Family as its head of state.

For sake of argument (or discussion)... lets just say the provinces simply became states I don't see the downside for the US... but I see it as a disaster for Canadians.

Tecumsehsbones

Which arrangement are you referring to, the OPs or your more countries suggestion?

My suggestion.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We have too much freedom as it is.

You're free to give yours up any time you like.

petros
I have enough dipsh-t political sports fans doing it for me already.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I have enough dipsh-t political sports fans doing it for me already.

So, you say you have too much freedom, then you're unhappy at people taking away your freedom?

Hard to please, ain'tcha?

darkbeaver
+1

My suggestion.

Did you use purple indicating sarcasm? I'm colour blind. More nation states is better than fewer nation states that is why the NWO destroys independent nations and imposes central authorities. So more is better. All the eggs in one basket is what led to the stinking mess we have now.

Nuggler
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I know people who have lost their best friends by marrying them. A Canada US marriage would be the perfect example.

The are our best friends when they want something.

They are now referring to water as "North American Water".

Bit presumptuous I would say, but that's just me. Stevo will likely giv'em all they want.

Speaking of water, we're getting sold down the river. ha ha , eh.

Tecumsehsbones

Did you use purple indicating sarcasm?

No, because

1. I wasn't being sarcastic and

2. I don't believe in colour-coding for dullards.

Quote:

I'm colour blind.

Merely one of many blindnesses that beset you.

Quote:

More nation states is better than fewer nation states that is why the NWO destroys independent nations and imposes central authorities. So more is better. All the eggs in one basket is what led to the stinking mess we have now.

Yep, look how great Europe was when it was in a state of constant warfare.

And my arrangement would provide less freedom by grouping like-minded people into countries where they would have substantial majorities, thus enabling them to impose their views on on the minorities and maintain indoctrination.

Nuggler
+1

I thought we normally used purple ink for sarcasm, but you, being in an elevated position, probably consider purple ink only for the peasants. ..............but really man.(big fukkin smiley here) winky winky

petros

So, you say you have too much freedom, then you're unhappy at people taking away your freedom?

Hard to please, ain'tcha?

Nah, just sarcastic.

Nuggler
+2

No, because

1. I wasn't being sarcastic and

2. I don't believe in colour-coding for dullards.

Merely one of many blindnesses that beset you.

Yep, look how great Europe was when it was in a state of constant warfare.

And my arrangement would provide less freedom by grouping like-minded people into countries where they would have substantial majorities, thus enabling them to impose their views on on the minorities and maintain indoctrination.

You enjoy sucking up to the mods?? Or just being your normal puerile self ??
Check the mirror for a true dullard.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

You enjoy sucking up to the mods?? Or just being your normal puerile self ??
Check the mirror for a true dullard.

No need with you here.