The diamond revolution

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
From the Website:
Here’s another thought for you:
The diamond you wear on your finger can come from two places:
1. A lab where the latest technology and some of the rarest elements on earth are combined to create a flawless stone. A lab where everyone makes a living wage and gets to go home to their loved ones. Where the style, size and cut is dictated by your desired ring and not that of a large corporation.
OR
2. Comprised of one of the most common elements on our planet. Mined from deep in the earth by ecologically unsound means, by people who make less than a living wage. Due to their assigned value (NOT rarity) they are often cut off the hands of African woman and wars are often fought for them. The stone you wear on your finger is untraceable, there is no real way to know where exactly it came from. You must trust the diamond source quoted to you. Your ring is so precious someone might have died so you could wear it. Someone’s mother, someone’s father, someone’s child. That is how special you are.

Engagement Rings: Should I Buy A Synthetic Diamond - Synthetic vs. Real Diamonds Should I Buy A Synthetic Diamond - Synthetic vs. Real Diamonds
Follow us: ringenvy on Facebook

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The diamonds in a pipe are unique to that pipe, sometimes source is as important as clarity, colour and inclusions in setting the value.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
so was the Stanley Steamer and the Duyea Brothers " Safe battery powered electric carriage'
All done in by the kettering electric starter...

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Charles Kettering receives patent for electric self-starter — History.com This Day in History — 8/17/1915

You can stop hand cranking any time now...

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
What does it have to do with diamonds?

Technological replacement and refinement of one crucial component made steam cars redundant.

Except in Moose Jaw, the WDM still has a working Stanley Bro.s Steamer.)

I keep forgetting that you live in Saskatchewan, where real men use coffman Shotgun starters

Coffman engine starter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its reached the point where you cna't tell a natural form a synthetic. Sell your diamond mine stocks.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
depends on where the diamond comes from and if you are A-okay with supporting the blood diamond trade

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There is far more blood on a cell phone than a diamond these days.
no kidding, and I don't think most people have a clue about that or there would be a loud hue and cry. I only learned about this a few weeks ago and I was stunned... :(

still, blood is blood and death come from both

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think I'm the last person on the planet that doesn't have a cell phone because I was probably one of the first to get frustrated and POed at all the useless calls and tossed it out the window.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think I'm the last person on the planet that doesn't have a cell phone because I was probably one of the first to get frustrated and POed at all the useless calls and tossed it out the window.
I think some people just likely don't "need" one. I on the other hand depend upon a call in system for work. If they can't get me, I don't work. So I no longer have a land line. Most people do not need both. They just can't see themselves without both. In Europe landlines are almost a thing of the past. That will be the way here soon too.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
It's also the fact that it isn't synthetic and also requires massive efforts to mine/acquire the diamonds.

Well,I've been to engagement parties where people scream:

"OMG OGM what a beautiful ring!"( neckace, etc.)

I've yet to see anyone whip out an election scanning microscope to try to determine the origin...

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Diamonds are squished coal and rubies are nothing but corundum a very common mineral abrasive.
Just rocks in the end.
If you cannot afford the real thing why bother with a a synthetic?
A synthetic has no backstory and it has no history it is, in effect a fake.

Paste and costume jewellery can look pretty cool.
The 30's stuff is highly collectable.
Go real or go fake and be proud of it.