Does The Coast Guard Do Stuff Other Than Help Boaters?


wizard
#1
... i've been watching a medium-size coast guard vessel inching back and forth along the texada island coastline in bc for about a week now. it's obviously not there to save anyone in distress ...

... not the first time i've seen whacky marine activity from the government in malaspina strait ...
Last edited by wizard; Oct 16th, 2012 at 04:51 PM..
 
petros
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by wizardView Post

... i've been watching a medium-size coast guard vessel inching back and forth along the texada island coastline in bc for about a week now. its obviously not there to save anyone in distress ...

... not the first time i've seen whacky marine activity from the government in malaspina strait ...

It's harvest.
 
wizard
#3
... this summer i watched the coast guard AND the royal canadian mounted police harassing a group of native indians that undertake an annual canoe trip down malaspina strait at powell river. it was positivley appalling. the natives have never been attacked that way before that i've seen ...

... found a photograph of the coast guard boat trolling up and down malaspina strait. it's this very vessel named "vector" that i see every time i look out my window now:



... if it's on spy patrol it's been identified ...
 
Tonington
+2
#4
They do lots of other stuff. The Pacific Biological Station, if it's anything like Saint Andrews Biological station in New Brunswick, has a Coast Guard vessel that the science branch of DFO use from time to time, as well as for enforcement and other things. DFO also use them for research tows to assess fish stocks. And now that the government has announced an end to funding of the at-sea observer program, it's going to be more important than ever that the Coast Guard lends a hand with management related activities. I don't expect the fishermen will be able to pick up the entire cost of the observer program.
 
wizard
#5
... thanks for your reply tonington ...

... however, they look like they might be hiding from something. federal coast guard cutbacks maybe?
 
lone wolf
+4
#6  Top Rated Post
They're watchin' ya....
 
taxslave
+1
#7
They could be doing anything from water quality survey near the mine to ocean floor mapping to hanging out until their next fuel allotment arrives. Or maybe they are monitoring the overflow from your septic tank into the ocean.
 
petros
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by wizardView Post

... however, they look like they might be hiding from something. federal coast guard cutbacks maybe?

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

They're watchin' ya....

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

They could be doing anything from water quality survey near the mine to ocean floor mapping to hanging out until their next fuel allotment arrives. Or maybe they are monitoring the overflow from your septic tank into the ocean.

It's harvest!
 
JLM
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

They do lots of other stuff. The Pacific Biological Station, if it's anything like Saint Andrews Biological station in New Brunswick, has a Coast Guard vessel that the science branch of DFO use from time to time, as well as for enforcement and other things. DFO also use them for research tows to assess fish stocks. And now that the government has announced an end to funding of the at-sea observer program, it's going to be more important than ever that the Coast Guard lends a hand with management related activities. I don't expect the fishermen will be able to pick up the entire cost of the observer program.

Any activity observed by the Wiz is for nefarious reasons!
 
tay
#10
They catch pirates.............
 
taxslave
+3
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

They catch pirates.............

And escort illegal refugees in to port. Maybe they are waiting to bring wiz into this dimension?
 
Corduroy
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by wizardView Post

What's with those five circles? Some kind of spy code? Are they eyes? Only creature I know with eyes like that is a spider! Is the Coast Guard run by the giant spider illuminati? Is the city of Vancouver (seen in picture) a sleeping spider? Is it planning to catch Malaspina spit in its web, injecting it with venom and wrapping it in web for consumption later?

Yes! It all makes sense now.
 
#juan
#13
I was a power boater for quite a few years on the west coast of B.C.. The coast guard ran the boating qualification
examinations for anyone operating a boat in these waters. I was a member of the coast guard civilian auxiliary for
twelve years.
 
TenPenny
#14
I believe the coast guard does special monitoring of people who steal their fathers' money when they have dementia.
 
Dexter Sinister
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by wizardView Post

... i've been watching a medium-size coast guard vessel inching back and forth along the texada island coastline in bc for about a week now. it's obviously not there to save anyone in distress ...

... not the first time i've seen whacky marine activity from the government in malaspina strait ...

Right, just because it's the government and you don't know what the vessel's up to, it must be something stupid. The coast guard's business is icebreaking, northern resupply, navigational aids, search and rescue, ship inspection and standards, channel markers, mapping, lighthouses, navigational hazards, and weather advice, and for those purposes operates 33 coastal radio stations, 15 maritime traffic centres, 55 search and rescue stations, 56 major vessels like the one you saw, 35 helicopters, 74 rescue vessels, and 4 hovercraft. Ya coulda looked it up, it's not secret. Inching back and forth along the coast suggests some sort of mapping or charting activity. The coast guard maintains some 13,000 channel markers, so obviously it has to know where the channels are, and they've been known to shift. It could also be something as simple as training new crew in navigation and ship handling, you'll see naval vessels behaving the same way when that's what they're doing, I've seen them in the Saanich Inlet. But really, you probably could call the nearest coast guard station and ask if you really want to know, instead of leaping to the conclusion that they're up to something whacky.
 
taxslave
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Right, just because it's the government and you don't know what the vessel's up to, it must be something stupid. The coast guard's business is icebreaking, northern resupply, navigational aids, search and rescue, ship inspection and standards, channel markers, mapping, lighthouses, navigational hazards, and weather advice, and for those purposes operates 33 coastal radio stations, 15 maritime traffic centres, 55 search and rescue stations, 56 major vessels like the one you saw, 35 helicopters, 74 rescue vessels, and 4 hovercraft. Ya coulda looked it up, it's not secret. Inching back and forth along the coast suggests some sort of mapping or charting activity. The coast guard maintains some 13,000 channel markers, so obviously it has to know where the channels are, and they've been known to shift. It could also be something as simple as training new crew in navigation and ship handling, you'll see naval vessels behaving the same way when that's what they're doing, I've seen them in the Saanich Inlet. But really, you probably could call the nearest coast guard station and ask if you really want to know, instead of leaping to the conclusion that they're up to something whacky.

You think observing the overflow from Wiz's septic tank is wacky? He does live right on the beach.
Maybe they were counting the rocks wiz steals off the beach?
 
SLM
+2
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Right, just because it's the government and you don't know what the vessel's up to, it must be something stupid. The coast guard's business is icebreaking, northern resupply, navigational aids, search and rescue, ship inspection and standards, channel markers, mapping, lighthouses, navigational hazards, and weather advice, and for those purposes operates 33 coastal radio stations, 15 maritime traffic centres, 55 search and rescue stations, 56 major vessels like the one you saw, 35 helicopters, 74 rescue vessels, and 4 hovercraft. Ya coulda looked it up, it's not secret. Inching back and forth along the coast suggests some sort of mapping or charting activity. The coast guard maintains some 13,000 channel markers, so obviously it has to know where the channels are, and they've been known to shift. It could also be something as simple as training new crew in navigation and ship handling, you'll see naval vessels behaving the same way when that's what they're doing, I've seen them in the Saanich Inlet. But really, you probably could call the nearest coast guard station and ask if you really want to know, instead of leaping to the conclusion that they're up to something whacky.


Dexter! Why do you hate the coast guard?

 
petros
+2
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Right, just because it's the government and you don't know what the vessel's up to, it must be something stupid. The coast guard's business is icebreaking, northern resupply, navigational aids, search and rescue, ship inspection and standards, channel markers, mapping, lighthouses, navigational hazards, and weather advice, and for those purposes operates 33 coastal radio stations, 15 maritime traffic centres, 55 search and rescue stations, 56 major vessels like the one you saw, 35 helicopters, 74 rescue vessels, and 4 hovercraft. Ya coulda looked it up, it's not secret. Inching back and forth along the coast suggests some sort of mapping or charting activity. The coast guard maintains some 13,000 channel markers, so obviously it has to know where the channels are, and they've been known to shift. It could also be something as simple as training new crew in navigation and ship handling, you'll see naval vessels behaving the same way when that's what they're doing, I've seen them in the Saanich Inlet. But really, you probably could call the nearest coast guard station and ask if you really want to know, instead of leaping to the conclusion that they're up to something whacky.

Or maybe it's dope harvest time on Texada, Gabriola, Lasqueit, Denman and a host of other small island? Maybe fishing boats from the US come up the Strait for and are met by hard bottom pontoon boats full of Texada Time Warp? 100s of Millions of $$$ worth at insane US prices.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post


Dexter! Why do you hate the coast guard?

See above?
 
SLM
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Or maybe it's dope harvest time on Texada, Gabriola, Lasqueit, Denman and a host of other small island? Maybe fishing boats from the US come up the Strait for and are met by hard bottom pontoon boats full of Texada Time Warp? 100s of Millions of $$$ worth at insane US prices.


See above?

Yes, ok, all valid arguments. Well, they're arguments.

But turning the wizard loose on the Coast Guard? That's gotta be it's own little circle of hell!
 
petros
#20
He's a jib rat that does like the cut of the Coast Guard's jib?
 
SLM
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

He's a jib rat that does like the cut of the Coast Guard's jib?

Who Wizard? If by jib rat you mean paranoid freak and by liking the cut of the Coast Guard's jib you mean irrational hatred of all things governmental, then I'd say that's an accurate assessment.
 
petros
+3
#22
Yes Wizard.. Jib is methamphetamines, a jib rat is a meth head, a sailing jib is the triangle sail in the front of the vessel. Now maybe it will be funny and make sense.
Last edited by petros; Oct 20th, 2012 at 06:49 AM..
 
SLM
+3
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Yes Wizard.. Jib is methamphetamines, a jib rat is a meth head, a saling jib is the triangle sail in the fron of the vessel. Now maybe it will be funny and make sense.

ah ok, gotcha.

Caught the nautical reference of jib, but I am not up to speed (pun fits well here) on the tweaker lingo.
 
petros
+4
#24
The same boats that come up for weed bring coke and meth to Canada. I'm glad they are there doing what they(Coast Guard) do. Coke and meth are nasty and the weed should be consumed domestically.
 
CDNBear
+1
#25
I miss the wiz.
 
SLM
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

The same boats that come up for weed bring coke and meth to Canada. I'm glad they are there doing what they(Coast Guard) do. Coke and meth are nasty and the weed should be consumed domestically.

I agree.

Harvest our natural resources but keep your damn hands off our pot!

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I miss the wiz.

This Wiz that started this thread I'd agree but the freakazoid from the Amanda Todd thread I could have strangled with my bare hands.

Just saying.
 
petros
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I agree.

Harvest our natural resources but keep your damn hands off our pot!



This Wiz that started this thread I'd agree but the freakazoid from the Amanda Todd thread I could have strangled with my bare hands.

Just saying.

Weed crops help rejuvenate soil in clear cuts.

As well as being a jib rat I got the indication he was a pud pulling skinner.
 
CDNBear
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

This Wiz that started this thread I'd agree but the freakazoid from the Amanda Todd thread I could have strangled with my bare hands.

Just saying.

Meh, the wiz is just the wiz.
 
SLM
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Weed crops help rejuvenate soil in clear cuts.

It wouldn't be Canadian weed if it wasn't helpful now would it?

Quote:

As well as being a jib rat I got the indication he was a pud pulling skinner.

Ok, fess up. You read his erotic e-story didn't you?

Lol.
 
JLM
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I agree.

Harvest our natural resources but keep your damn hands off our pot!



This Wiz that started this thread I'd agree but the freakazoid from the Amanda Todd thread I could have strangled with my bare hands.

Just saying.

Yeah, I miss him about as much as a dose of leprosy!
 

Similar Threads

6
5 Stars for the Canadian Coast Guard !
by CanadianLove | Feb 23rd, 2009
4
Coast Guard Machine Gun Drills
by Curiosity | Sep 29th, 2006
no new posts