Rupert Everett: 'There's nothing worse than gay parents'

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Rupert Everett has spoken out against gay parents and said he “can’t think of anything worse” than two men bringing up a child together.

The star of the 1998 film Shakespeare in Love blazed a trail for gay actors when he came out as homosexual 20 years ago.

However, he has been criticised by gay rights groups after giving an interview in which he decried same-sex couples who have children.

The 53-year-old told the Sunday Times Magazine that his mother Sara had met his boyfriend but “still wishes I had a wife and kids.”

“She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her,” he said. “I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads.

“Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion.

“I’m not speaking on behalf of the gay community. In fact, I don’t feel like I’m part of any ‘community’.
“The only community I belong to is humanity and we’ve got too many children on the planet, so it’s good not to have more.”

more

Rupert Everett: 'There's nothing worse than gay parents' - Telegraph

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I always find it suspicious when actors make "controversial" statements and their last big film was over a decade ago. Not saying that's what is, just saying though.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was raised by just a mother. You dont really "need" a mother and a father. Sure, it may be ideal but one or the other (or any combination) can get the job done. Its been done before and will be again. I can think of much worse things than being brought up by two gay dads or two lesbian mothers. Like having heterosexual Susan Smith as a mother for example.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I can think of a few worse things than gay parents: sexually abusive parents, neglectful parents, junkie parents, no parents (unless you're Batman), religious fanatic parents, toddler beauty pageant parents.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I can think of a few worse things than gay parents: sexually abusive parents, neglectful parents, junkie parents, no parents (unless you're Batman), religious fanatic parents, toddler beauty pageant parents.

I think a kid needs a Mom and a Dad........but it is hard to disagree with your point.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
An exhaustive academic study by U of Texas sociologist Mark Regnerus recently prompted a vitriolic campaign against him at the University, when in strictly contolled and objective studies he found there were measurable and definable negative impacts on children raised in same sex, homosexual households.

To its credit the campaign to expel Regnerus failed at the University.. no doubt to the great frustration of pseudo psycho 'scientists' that have attached themselves to the homosexual cause.. .. who want to prevent any publishing or academic credibility attached to anything counter to the politically correct mantra of the indistinguishability of traditional and homosexual families.

Essentially it seems that homosexual households really are tantamount to child abuse

Case Closed at UT Austin: Regnerus Exonerated

study of children in same sex households

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I was raised by just a mother. You dont really "need" a mother and a father. Sure, it may be ideal but one or the other (or any combination) can get the job done. Its been done before and will be again. I can think of much worse things than being brought up by two gay dads or two lesbian mothers. Like having heterosexual Susan Smith as a mother for example.

Like I said above.....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Let's suppose two heterosexual celibate men were raising a kid together. What would we say to that?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Let's suppose two heterosexual celibate men were raising a kid together. What would we say to that?

There is a genius to both the male and female contributions to child rearing.. that can't be faked. A childhood deficient in one or the other and within a family gounded on the love of those parent for each other and the child.. will be impoverished in comparison.

It's obvious for all who want to see.. of the catastrophic social outcomes for individuals and communities in the absence of (real) fathers.. or mothers.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There is a genius to both the male and female contributions to child rearing.. that can't be faked. A childhood deficient in one or the other and within a family gounded on the love of those parent for each other and the child.. will be impoverished in comparison.

It's obvious for all who want to see.. of the catastrophic social outcomes for individuals and communities in the absence of (real) fathers.. or mothers.

Let's say the mother dies and the brother in law decides to move in to help out for awhile. It's still better than nothing, right?

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I would imagine any communal setting where there is harmony amongst the members would be a better atmosphere for raising children than one which is fraught with discord, regardless of gender or orientation.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

I was raised by a single mother. Im fine. My sister is too - though she had a really big rough couple years and became a mother young. My father was an abusive alcoholic. My mother was lucky to get rid of him. In hindsight so were me and my sister. Nearly all of my friends come from single parent households. Given divorce rates it wont be long before most children are raised in such a way.

Now there are ways around adoption if you are a homosexual couple. I personally know of two couples who simply made an arrangement with a member of the opposite sex and had a child. So its now quite easy for homosexuals to reproduce and be parents in a relationship with someone of the same sex. Though I do imagine a lot of those kids will end up being ultimately raised by one parent. From what Ive read the divorce rates among homosexuals is similar to that of heterosexuals.

The nuclear family is no longer the only way.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What is a male contribution and female contribution to child rearing?

Males are not much more than sperm donors, except in rare occasions. With both parents working in most households today, I think that it would be hard to objectively measure the differences between any combination of parents. And as you pointed out before, heterosexual parents come in all stripes and perversions.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Let's say the mother dies and the brother in law decides to move in to help out for awhile. It's still better than nothing, right?

The study was intended to determine whether children are in fact affected negatively by unconventional homosexual lifestyles by parents. It indicates that they are. Certainly you will find many cases where children of single parents have flourished... or where highly dysfunctional families... those plagued with alcoholism and the like.. in fact are very injurious to the children regardless of the presence of two heterosexual parents. But that doesn't undercut the point that there are ideals that affect both community and individuals.. and that should be promoted by society in general.. rather than utterly rejected in service of some gratuitous concept of equality.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I disagree with Rupert. My parents were and are happy and they raised a very successful and happy next generation.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
An exhaustive academic study by U of Texas sociologist Mark Regnerus recently prompted a vitriolic campaign against him at the University, when in strictly contolled and objective studies he found there were measurable and definable negative impacts on children raised in same sex, homosexual households.

To its credit the campaign to expel Regnerus failed at the University.. no doubt to the great frustration of pseudo psycho 'scientists' that have attached themselves to the homosexual cause.. .. who want to prevent any publishing or academic credibility attached to anything counter to the politically correct mantra of the indistinguishability of traditional and homosexual families.

Essentially it seems that homosexual households really are tantamount to child abuse

Case Closed at UT Austin: Regnerus Exonerated
So the UofT agrees with him? That's irrelevant to the guy's accuracy. Entire universities used to think the Earth was the center of the universe at one time.

uhuh Didja read the conclusion of the study?
As scholars of same-sex parenting aptly note, same-sex couples have and will continue to raise children. American courts are finding arguments against gay marriage decreasingly persuasive (Rosenfeld, 2007). This study is intended to neither undermine nor affirm any legal rights concerning such. The tenor of the last 10 years of academic discourse about gay and lesbian parents suggests that there is little to nothing about them that might be negatively associated with child development, and a variety of things that might be uniquely positive. The results of analyzing a rare large probability sample reported herein, however, document numerous, consistent differences among young adults who reported maternal lesbian behavior (and to a lesser extent, paternal gay behavior) prior to age 18. While previous studies suggest that children in planned GLB families seem to fare comparatively well, their actual representativeness among all GLB families in the US may be more modest than research based on convenience samples has presumed.
Although the findings reported herein may be explicable in part by a variety of forces uniquely problematic for child development in lesbian and gay families—including a lack of social support for parents, stress exposure resulting from persistent stigma, and modest or absent legal security for their parental and romantic relationship statuses—the empirical claim that no notable differences exist must go. While it is certainly accurate to affirm that sexual orientation or parental sexual behavior need have nothing to do with the ability to be a good, effective parent, the data evaluated herein using population-based estimates drawn from a large, nationally-representative sample of young Americans suggest that it may affect the reality of family experiences among a significant number.
Do children need a married mother and father to turn out well as adults? No, if we observe the many anecdotal accounts with which all Americans are familiar. Moreover, there are many cases in the NFSS where respondents have proven resilient and prevailed as adults in spite of numerous transitions, be they death, divorce, additional or diverse romantic partners, or remarriage. But the NFSS also clearly reveals that children appear most apt to succeed well as adults—on multiple counts and across a variety of domains—when they spend their entire childhood with their married mother and father, and especially when the parents remain married to the present day. Insofar as the share of intact, biological mother/father families continues to shrink in the United States, as it has, this portends growing challenges within families, but also heightened dependence on public health organizations, federal and state public assistance, psychotherapeutic resources, substance use programs, and the criminal justice system.
Basically it's just restating that kids of heterosexual families may do better as "wholesome" individuals than the kids of homosexual families, which also applies to kids of separated familes, single-parent families, and other types of families in society.
Anecdotally, my wife (bisexual) is extremely principled, is pretty "well-adjusted" (quirky as she may be), successful, etc. and I lost my father at a very young age, both of us are irrreligious, and yet we raised two kids that fit quite well into society.
On the other hand, here you are ignoring evidence, injecting your religiosity into a great many of your posts, etc. I'd hardly call you an objective person.

BS. You mean "MAY be impoverished in comparison".

Catastrophic? No exaggeration there, right?
F'k, I sure am glad my kids were raised apart from hateful, phobic, irrational people like you,

The study was intended to determine whether children are in fact affected negatively by unconventional homosexual lifestyles by parents. It indicates that they are.
Wrong. It indicates they MAY or have an increased tendency to be.
Obviously, your bigotry has clouded your comprehension abilities.
Certainly you will find many cases where children of single parents have flourished... or where highly dysfunctional families... those plagued with alcoholism and the like.. in fact are very injurious to the children regardless of the presence of two heterosexual parents. But that doesn't undercut the point that there are ideals that affect both community and individuals.. and that should be promoted by society in general.. rather than utterly rejected in service of some gratuitous concept of equality.
lmao So you want all kids to be your version of "normal". Good luck on that flight into the surreal.