A Global One Child Policy?

Should there be a Global Chinese style one child policy?

• No to a one child policy.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Yes to a one hild policy

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Should there be a Chinese style one child policy?

Is there too many people on the planet stressing the environment, energy, water, air and food supplies?

Yay or nay and why ?

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No. I feel sorry for all the folks who never had siblings in a way. Who did they blame things on when Mom & Dad got angry?

Would it be a 'suggestion' or a more rigid requirement? How does that get enforced anyway? What about childless couples? Can they sell their quota? Bad idea all around to allow a government, any government, that much control over personal choices.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
There are too many people on earth but the problem isnt really here. If not for immigration our population would be in decline. Various forms of birth control seem to be working fine here.

Most of the population growth is in developing countries where governments wouldnt be able to enforce something like this. Which is a good thing, its a bit too much power. Easy access to birth control and better sex-ed would work wonders.

With or without such a policy nature tends to have ways of fixing over-population problems for all species.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
There are more than enough resources on this planet to support double the population we have now. All we need to do is share them instead of sell them. We have the technology to grow enough food, get enough pure water, and heat & power the planet for many generations if not in perpetuity. The problem is we allow that technology to be claimed as owned by someone or some corporation instead of making it freely available for the good of all humans.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
There are more than enough resources on this planet to support double the population we have now. All we need to do is share them instead of sell them. We have the technology to grow enough food, get enough pure water, and heat & power the planet for many generations if not in perpetuity. The problem is we allow that technology to be claimed as owned by someone or some corporation instead of making it freely available for the good of all humans.

Human nature prevents such a utopia from happening.

Communism is so 20th century. :p

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
What makes you say that?

Well over a billion people are living in absolute poverty. While in some places the percentage of the population in poverty is decreasing the actual numbers of people in poverty is increasing.

In theory the earth could handle more, but given how we (as a species) waste various reasources I don't see that happening anytime soon, if at all.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What sort of a one-child policy do you mean? One where farmers are allowed to have more than one kid, and rich people can simply pay fines to avoid the penalties, and girls aren't wanted so they are killed or abandoned? Is that what you're asking about?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well over a billion people are living in absolute poverty. While in some places the percentage of the population in poverty is decreasing the actual numbers of people in poverty is increasing.

In theory the earth could handle more, but given how we (as a species) waste various reasources I don't see that happening anytime soon, if at all.
Why are they living in poverty? Does it have anything to do with the ability of the planet to support life or is it political?

What sort of a one-child policy do you mean? One where farmers are allowed to have more than one kid, and rich people can simply pay fines to avoid the penalties, and girls aren't wanted so they are killed or abandoned? Is that what you're asking about?
That would be Chinese style wouldn't it?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Although there is validity to the theory of wasting resources the bigger factor is that we allow the resources to be claimed by corporations and sold for profit which leads to countries and entire regions not being able to get them. It is quite clear that the profit motive is what causes the largest issues.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Although there is validity to the theory of wasting resources the bigger factor is that we allow the resources to be claimed by corporations and sold for profit which leads to countries and entire regions not being able to get them. It is quite clear that the profit motive is what causes the largest issues.

I take it that you don't work for a living.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I take it that you don't work for a living.

What would make you say that? Is it hard for you to understand someone who works to support themselves also believes in putting humans ahead of corporate profit.

FYI: I drive a semi in the western triangle and regularly work 26 days a month 10+ hours a day.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Because you don't believe in 'the profit motive', so you obviously don't work for a living.

If you work for a living, you believe in getting paid for your labour, so you believe in the profit motive.

Your logic is a little warped there. I work hard and make good money and I share lots of it with those less fortunate. I believe in fair wages for your labour which is far different from the corporate profit motive.

The issue I have is that corporations are bound by their charter to make as much profit as they can without concern for the human race. If a corporation was an individual we would call them greedy, cheapskate, uncaring etc and they would be despised by their neighbors but because it is a corporation their actions are deemed ok.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Your logic is a little warped there. I work hard and make good money and I share lots of it with those less fortunate. I believe in fair wages for your labour which is far different from the corporate profit motive.

So, it's okay for you to profit from your driving, but it's not okay for a business to profit from doing business.

Profit is only a dirty word when it's not you doing the profiting - do you encourage your employer to only break even on all jobs? Do you ensure that you reduce your wages so the evil corporation that employs you doesn't turn a profit?

The issue I have is that corporations are bound by their charter to make as much profit as they can without concern for the human race. If a corporation was an individual we would call them greedy, cheapskate, uncaring etc and they would be despised by their neighbors but because it is a corporation their actions are deemed ok.

You obviously know nothing about corporate charters, and even less about how corporations operate.