No Order of Canada for Ralph Klein

Durry
Ralph is an award winning broadcast journalist, been major of Calgary for (?) terms, brought the winter olympics to Calgary, been an MP, a Primier for 3 terms etc etc and still no Order of Canada. Other Primiers got their recognition usually within a year of quitting office.

But the easterns will not give him the recognition he so rightly deserves.

Should Ralph Klein be awarded the Order of Canada? | OpenFile (external - login to view)

That should be spelled "premiers".....auto correct!!!

In Between Man
Who cares? The Order of Canada is a meaningless accolade, especially since they gave it to Henry Morgentaler.

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by In Between ManView Post

Who cares? The Order of Canada is a meaningless accolade, especially since they gave it to Henry Morgentaler.

I care, if they gave it some premiers, why can't they be consistent?

Besides Morgentaler was an easterner!!

gerryh
maybe Klein didn't do enough for the whole Country. I can think of lots of good things he did for Alberta, but, for the whole country, I'm stumped.

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

I care, if they gave it some premiers, why can't they be consistent?

Besides Morgentaler was an easterner!!

Yss, from Europe.

wulfie68
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

maybe Klein didn't do enough for the whole Country. I can think of lots of good things he did for Alberta, but, for the whole country, I'm stumped.

But isn't Alberta a part of Canada? Further to that, the '88 Olympics were an event that brought positive attention to the entire country, much as the 2010 Vancouver ones did. I always liked Ralph, and he has received his share of accolades and criticisms over the years, but I don't think he's going to lose sleep over the Order of Canada...

Ariadne
Maybe they haven't forgotten his "shoot, shovel, and shut up" remark about bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

But isn't Alberta a part of Canada? Further to that, the '88 Olympics were an event that brought positive attention to the entire country, much as the 2010 Vancouver ones did. I always liked Ralph, and he has received his share of accolades and criticisms over the years, but I don't think he's going to lose sleep over the Order of Canada...

Your right, Ralph made sure the oil industry thrived under his leadership, and if AB does well, the whole country does well.

This is just another example of ....same old, same old....

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Maybe they haven't forgotten his "shoot, shovel, and shut up" remark about bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Something about Eastern Bastards and Freezing comes to mind.

Ariadne
+1

Your right, Ralph made sure the oil industry thrived under his leadership, and if AB does well, the whole country does well.

This is just another example of ....same old, same old....

He also cut a lot of big corners environmentally. Some of the inside stories about what happened under his watchful eye are pretty scary.

damngrumpy
+2
Ralph doesn't deserve an award on the national scale, besides isn't he the guy the
Indians gave a title to? They called him Chief Walking Eagle, because he was too
full of shi*t to fly.
Ralph was a leader a premier and a journalist he was also a loud mouthed drunk
who didn't know when to shut up. It has nothing to do with Eastern or Western
Canada he offended enough people in his time and therefore he gets left off the
invitation list as it were.
Ralph was also the guy who told people in a shelter to get a job, only to find out one
of them was a passer by from Cape Breton who challenged him. Ralph is luck he
didn't go outside with a Caper he would have woke up about a week from Wednesday.
No he does not deserve to have a Title, at least not at this time.

Cliffy

He also cut a lot of big corners environmentally. Some of the inside stories about what happened under his watchful eye are pretty scary.

That is what happens when you put a grade 4 dropout with an drinking problem in charge of the hen house.

Kakato
+2
Ralph was a good guy.He stuck up for his province and told the rest wanting the NEP to go **** themselves,thats why he will allways be remembered as a leader with balls.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Ralph doesn't deserve an award on the national scale, besides isn't he the guy the
Indians gave a title to? They called him Chief Walking Eagle, because he was too
full of shi*t to fly.
Ralph was a leader a premier and a journalist he was also a loud mouthed drunk
who didn't know when to shut up. It has nothing to do with Eastern or Western
Canada he offended enough people in his time and therefore he gets left off the
invitation list as it were.
Ralph was also the guy who told people in a shelter to get a job, only to find out one
of them was a passer by from Cape Breton who challenged him. Ralph is luck he
didn't go outside with a Caper he would have woke up about a week from Wednesday.
No he does not deserve to have a Title, at least not at this time.

He pulled up to a homeless shelter in a drunken stupor in the middle of the night, entered the building, insulted and berated the residents, pulled out his pocket change and threw it at the people in the homeless shelter and then drove off in his limo.

Spade
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20011214/ctvnews832480/
Remember his tipsy midnight cab ride to the Herb Jamieson homeless shelter when he swore and argued with residents...
Klien had many good points, but is he deserving of the "Order of Canada"? Well...

The eastern-western thesis is peurile.

Ariadne
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

Ralph was a good guy.He stuck up for his province and told the rest wanting the NEP to go **** themselves,thats why he will allways be remembered as a leader with balls.

He did some good stuff, but he also did some stupid stuff. His shoot, shovel and shut up remark earned nothing but international distrust in the Canadian cattle industry.

Spade
+1

Wrong premier.

Ariadne
He has frontal lobe dimentia/alzheimers, so perhaps those bad behaviors were nothing more than early signs ... but still, they cannot be overlooked.

... and what about the story where he performed a marriage ceremony for his daughter who was marrying a man that was already married ... there are an awful lot of questionable incidents with Ralph Klein.

Kakato
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Wrong premier.

He carried the torch,we all remember PET,Ralph kinda told the east that he was going to make sure we didnt get raped by eastern Canada and we did'nt get raped by the feds.

He has frontal lobe dimentia/alzheimers, so perhaps those bad behaviors were nothing more than early signs ... but still, they cannot be overlooked.

... and what about the story where he performed a marriage ceremony for his daughter who was marrying a man that was already married ... there are an awful lot of questionable incidents with Ralph Klein.

You have a link I presume? Because I could say your a child molester but without proof it means nothing but it still makes you look bad.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
My favorite Ralph Kleinism

Ralph Klein Belinda Stronach - YouTube (external - login to view)

Durry
Lol, he had a way with words. Lol

damngrumpy
Ya he told the people who wanted a National Energy Policy to get lost, well if we had
a national energy policy now we would be a heck of a lot better off. We need to keep
as much black gold for our own nation as we can, and what we do ship should be as
refined product.
Alberta can boast all it wants and protest but before Jed Clampett discovered crude
south of Edmonton the rest of the country carried that Province on its back. How quick
some forget. Yes Alberta has paid more than its share since then but that is the price
of being Canadian, BC has paid a lot too and I don't have a problem with that at all.
I suppose its because I have always been somewhat of an economic nationalist.
Yes I support a Canada first policy in exports, and all natural resources.

Spade
+1

He carried the torch,we all remember PET,Ralph kinda told the east that he was going to make sure we didnt get raped by eastern Canada and we did'nt get raped by the feds..

Ralph Klein Premier 1992-2006
Trudeau PM 1968-1979, 1980-1984

You are myth taken.

Durry

Tell somebody who cars!!

gerryh

He carried the torch,we all remember PET,Ralph kinda told the east that he was going to make sure we didnt get raped by eastern Canada and we did'nt get raped by the feds.

The NEP was in 1980 to 1986. Ralphie boy didn't even become Mayor of Calgary untill 1980. He had no provincial "clout" throughout the NEP years and did not run for provincial politics untill 1989.

Durry

Tell somebody who cars!!

Cares

Kakato
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

The NEP was in 1980 to 1986. Ralphie boy didn't even become Mayor of Calgary untill 1980. He had no provincial "clout" throughout the NEP years and did not run for provincial politics untill 1989.

Yes and after the NEP was toast he made sure it did not resurface gerry.

gerryh

roflmao.... nice back pedal.

Kakato

Ya he told the people who wanted a National Energy Policy to get lost, well if we had
a national energy policy now we would be a heck of a lot better off. We need to keep
as much black gold for our own nation as we can, and what we do ship should be as
refined product.
Alberta can boast all it wants and protest but before Jed Clampett discovered crude
south of Edmonton the rest of the country carried that Province on its back. How quick
some forget. Yes Alberta has paid more than its share since then but that is the price
of being Canadian, BC has paid a lot too and I don't have a problem with that at all.

Alberta is one of the most succesfull provinces in our country right now and the economic engine that is keeping Canada alive in these times,Saskatchewan will be next and if you dont think so then all the other provinces better pull up their bootstraps before asking for more transfer payments,Get er done!

Spade
+2

Premier Lougheed signed on to a revised NEP in September, 1981.

Myth taken, again.