Baptism

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
For Christians, yes. It's their admission into to the church. To an atheist I imagine it's just a pointless ceremony.

I have no objection to Baptism per se, but isn't it a little presumptuous to perform the ceremony before the subject is cognizant of the ramifications? :smile:

Of course a lot of "Christians" think they know what is good for everyone else.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I have no objection to Baptism per se, but isn't it a little presumptuous to perform the ceremony before the subject is cognizant of the ramifications? :smile:

Of course a lot of "Christians" think they know what is good for everyone else.

Baptism, circumcision, all that stuff.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Jesus Christ! Baptism is to wash away "original sin". None of you knew that?

I suppose, although I think there is validity for circumcision if a doctors deems it beneficial to health.
None, nada zero zip zant doodly squat. It's 100% mutilation for sexual gratification.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
JLM wanted the real reason so why make **** up or guess at things?

Well, the 'real' reason is that it's a religious ceremony to induct people into the club.

People who are part of the club believe that it's to wash away sins, but that's simply a belief on the part of the club members.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I can't speak for the other Christian dwnominations except for Catholic. For Catholics it's more than just being baptized into the Catholic faith for the child. The parents and the Godparents have a very large role. The Parents promise to bring the child up in the Catholic faith and the Godparents, who are the child's representatives or advocates promise to help and ensure the child is brought up on the faith if something happens to the parents. I know of no member of the clergy that still advocates that it is to absolve the child of original sin as Jesus Christ died on the cross to absolve all of mankinds sins, including the original sin.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I can't speak for the other Christian dwnominations except for Catholic. For Catholics it's more than just being baptized into the Catholic faith for the child. The parents and the Godparents have a very large role. The Parents promise to bring the child up in the Catholic faith and the Godparents, who are the child's representatives or advocates promise to help and ensure the child is brought up on the faith if something happens to the parents. I know of no member of the clergy that still advocates that it is to absolve the child of original sin as Jesus Christ died on the cross to absolve all of mankinds sins, including the original sin.

Yup, plain as day, there it is. To indoctrinate the new member into the club.