The bizarre 'safe cures' of 19th Century that 'work like magic'

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Cocaine for toothache, morphine for your child's cough:

Vintage advertisements show just how far medicine and advertising have come since the introduction of regulation

It's not a drug known for its benefits to health. In fact, if you were caught with this class A substance and claimed it was for 'medicinal purposes' you'd probably be laughed at all the way to the police station.
But, bizarrely, cocaine - and other drugs like morphine - were routinely used in remedies for coughs, colds and toothaches as a cure-all magic ingredient in the Victorian era.
Long before the drugs were criminalised - and prior to the regulation of both medicine and advertising - the substances were frequently touted as effective treatments for illnesses as serious as cancer and liver disease.

more

Victorian adverts for health remedies laden with cocaine, morphine and alcohol | Mail Online

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I mind when I was little,getting a spoonfull of kerosene oil with sugar,damned if i remember what for.Then there was a spoonfull of the very tasty Minards liniment.My cousin was smeared with bear fat when he fell on the stove,did nothing to prevent scaring.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Very effective medicines from nature. In the struggle to invent and build medicine which super lab ,the natural or the synthetic, do you suppose will prevail?

I say the one that will bring as much money in the bank accounts of the pharmaceutical companies.

And f*** it if the meds got undesired side effects.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Cocaine IS a great remedy for tooth ache. Morphine IS great for pain. I wonder when the future looks back at the aspartame and ritalin that we pump our kids full of, how they will scoff and shake their heads at us.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And just to add, reading modern weight loss drug store promises doesn't look much different to me.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I say the one that will bring as much money in the bank accounts of the pharmaceutical companies.

And f*** it if the meds got undesired side effects.

I think you missed my point. Maybe I was to vague. Nature has a massive head start and unlimited resources, big pharma only exists because they bought the law. Money ain't medicine and never will be.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
I think you missed my point. Maybe I was to vague. Nature has a massive head start and unlimited resources, big pharma only exists because they bought the law. Money ain't medicine and never will be.

I didn't miss your point,nature got an advance,and we slowly rediscover some of the natural medicine,but as each one is found,it is "swiped" by the big pharma.

i guess they want to be sure that people who will need the cures will have to pay them a sh*tload of money.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And just to add, reading modern weight loss drug store promises doesn't look much different to me.

Today's weight loss drug store promises? ;)

LOL. Remember the old Virginia Slims Ads? "You've come a long way baby."

Yeah, not so much.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I mind when I was little,getting a spoonfull of kerosene oil with sugar,damned if i remember what for.Then there was a spoonfull of the very tasty Minards liniment.My cousin was smeared with bear fat when he fell on the stove,did nothing to prevent scaring.

The Kerosene was for worm prevention or cure and the Minards was used for sore throat and toothache.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands