Who cares?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Who cares? Well, I do, for one.

I have no idea what's happened, or perhaps not happened, to people who ask such a depressing question.

Why is it a depressing question? Why can't it just be a ligitamate, unbiased question?

That sounds, in fact, like the kind of thing a person suffering clinical depression would ask.

And one thing I find funny is how people continue to think Depression is some sort of disease to be rid of..... Depression is an emotion, not a disease. Depression tells you when something is wrong in your life and to change it..... it's not supposed to be something you mask/hide with a load of pills because it's unpleasent.

That's why there's been so many whack jobs out there who ended up killing themselves or others, and then themselves.... the majority you will find were on anti-depressants.... usually from a young age in school.... because it was far more easier to dish out pills then it was to address what was causing the symptoms or to actually parent your kids.

People work jobs they hate, live with families they were forced into, basically living lives they shouldn't be living, then they're told something is wrong with them, not something wrong with what they're doing, and then they're given medication so they can continue to mask and ignore the problems as they continue to build up until it's too late.

Have you no friends, no family, no interests, no hobbies?

Probably and in my case, yes.... that doesn't make an equation for caring though.

Is there nobody you've encountered here who interests you, no ideas or discussions that interest you?

Myself? Nope... I just come here to kill time.

You've been coming here for over 4 months, so presumably something's caught your interest or you'd have quit, and I haven't noticed that your posts tend toward depressed hissing and moaning. Are you maybe just going through a bad patch right now?

Could have just been a generic question.

The answer is yes, there's a point to caring for things these days, and it's the same point that it's always been. I wouldn't presume to tell you what might work for you, but this is what works for me: there is a meaning to life, the difficulty is that we have to find our own meaning, it doesn't come from outside. The meaning is to be found in the things we can do to, with, for, and sometimes in spite of, those we care about, and I mean "those we care about" in the broadest possible sense. Naturally I care deeply about my wife and children, for instance, and on a declining scale, in the sense that I'd unhesitatingly choose my wife and children ahead of them, my other relatives, and my friends, and my co-workers. I also care about people I don't know. There are people here, for instance, that I've never met in real life and almost certainly never will, but I'm interested in and care about them. They care about me too, all you have to do is post some plea for help and understanding and people will respond with kindness and support and encouragement.

But if none of that kindness, support of encouragement brings no solutions or actual methods of solving the problem at hand, then isn't it sort of just a waste of your time, as well as the person in question's time?

We're social creatures who depend on each other, that's what people do.

Correction, that's what many people do.... but it is not absolute. We have grown over time to be acustomed to depending on other people, but it isn't a requirement for living a full and healthy life.

Some people here are total dipsticks of course, or at least they play that role here,

Well I try. :p

but that's inevitable in any group the size of this one though, and I care about them too, because I believe dipstickery, if there's such a word (my spell checker says there isn't, but there ought to be), can be fixed.

Well now you're approaching it like how they used to try and fix homosexuals..... as if there was something wrong with it.... then again, you did claim above that you felt there was something wrong, but that doesn't make it right. Maybe people enjoy being part of the Dipstickrical Society of Earth. If everybody agreed, and nobody brought the other side of the argument to the table, things would get quite boring.

You hate us..... but you need us..... heh heh heh.

There are groups of people I care about in a more abstract way too, which is what governs my charitable donations and my volunteer work.

And the point is this: this is the only life we know for certain that we've got, so the thing to do is make the best of it that we can. Love one another, care for one another, try to shed some light into some of the dark corners people have hidden themselves in, try to leave the world a little better place than you found it, and hope you'll be remembered fondly when you're gone.

Without the darkness, we would never know light. Without the bad, we would never know good.

But before you can do any of that, you have to care about yourself first.

Meh.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Then it would be time to leave this forsaken place. Consequences aside.

But if you didn't care about anything, why would you care if you left this "Foresaken Place" or not? Apparently suicide or removing yourself out of the equation of life, would mean that you cared that you existed in a place you hate.... but if you hate it, then it's a level of caring regardless that is being expressed and you would have shown that you cared enough about yourself to remove yourself out of this "Foresaken Place" thereby countering the whole argument.

To me, when it comes to absolute carelessness in someone's life and how they live it.... it means absolute indifference.... you exist.... like a machine, or a computer doing it's everyday chores with no emotional impact on yourself..... you just exist and nothing more.

typingrandomstuff

Duration_Improvate
The point of caring about this is to make awful something much better. If people actually cared about their politics, they would actually get a better system of politics. If people cared about farmers and the increase of food, there will be less people starving. If no one care about anything, everything is a mess. I guess the people, in this board, care a bit about the whole entire thing. I am one of them. I am one of them until I can get my shiny degree.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
The point of caring about this is to make awful something much better. If people actually cared about their politics, they would actually get a better system of politics. If people cared about farmers and the increase of food, there will be less people starving. If no one care about anything, everything is a mess. I guess the people, in this board, care a bit about the whole entire thing. I am one of them. I am one of them until I can get my shiny degree.

...And pray tell --- what shiny degree?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Praxius...I gotta say this in a 'nice' way of course, but that's the f**kin coolest post I've read in the last few months. Excellent analysis. :lol: Ok lemme go back and re-read that.

Well I think I might have been down that path before, so I kinda still remember many of the questions I had at one time..... still do I suppose..... but I've found myself some goals for my life.

However I am still un-caring compared to the average human. Very little makes an impact on me these days, and when I hear about some tragic tornado that killed a bunch of people in a trailer park, I ask "Wtf are they still there? Dumbasses." or when I hear about some little kids shot up in a school, it's moreso expected then it is a tragedy.... but most people don't want to look at the situation without emotion to solve the problem, and they go off with some other dumbass solutions, once again, fueled by emotions..... then it happens again...... and when that happens.... how the hell can someone keep caring or have sympathy for the ignorant who keep repeating their mistakes?

How can someone have sympathy for the poor in Africa who openly admit that the won't use condoms in their random sex with other people? They don't like the feeling, or some other reason, so they don't use them. Then they're on later crying that they have AIDS..... but they still refuse to use condoms..... and their reason was, and I quote from the documentary I watched "Why should I wear a Condom now? I have AIDS! It doesn't matter anymore." Being totally ignorant of the concept of spreading their STD to others and continuing the suffering..... I guess since they're suffering and now they're going to die, they don't care..... so if they don't care.... why should I?

All the homeless poor children with christian agencies begging you to send money to..... so they can get food and schooling...... to what end? The cycle is just going to continue with no actual end goals. You create more and more beggers to the point where it's an entire nation of beggers, continually demanding more funds and more help from other nations, all the while never bothering to help themselves..... inflation of the problem if you will.

And when you boil it right down to the bone..... When people are not willing to help themselves, then why care?

I help myself..... yet I don't care about much of what other's care about, nor do I care if others care about me. Do what you gotta do, I'll do the same, so to speak.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
......I mean 'why care' when it really does you no good?

So we choose the things that we think are beneficial to us - our well being.

So you decided not to care. Well, I can't blame you. If it makes you happy ultimately to not care, I think you've got a pretty strong game plan mapped out.

Or you're a caring person because your wife, family and kids made you a caring person today, this hour or the last few years, well go ahead, if that's what makes you happy.

But on that note, who's to say what'll happen tomorrow?

One caring man can turn out to be the ultimate zombie if fate turned this person's life around or vice versa.

As for me, I think I'll go with what works for me in that moment. Best to not judge myself, lest ye be judged by others.
:lol:

I think the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight, kinda presents this sort of question a lot in its story line.... with the Joker's plain no caring about any consequences and doing it all for entertainment or to see if others will break their own rules.... to Two-Face and how he was what everybody was hoping for.... only to turn into a villian of vengance in the end and willing to make others suffer as he has suffered, to the point of almost killing an innocent child.

To me, it's a balance..... but the balance is subjective to each person, and sometimes the balance is unbalance to one side or the other..... either good or bad.

To not care can mean freedom from guilt or obligations.

To care can mean security and insurance of help and assistence from others you have helped in the past. If you are an independant person such as myself, where I can live on my own without any dependancy on anybody else for anything.... it's not hard to exclude caring for trivial things that don't matter in my direct life.

I mean, if you start to try and care about everything, and try to help everyone and everything to make a difference.... you're only fighting an uphill battle in which you will never truly win..... nobody can.... it's continual. And when you keep trying and trying to reach a goal that can never be accomplished.... then you're just going to burn yourself out and either go insane, or stop caring..... perhaps both.

Then what? Once again.... there has to be balance, or the next thing you know... you're gonna be the bad guy with the cops pointing their guns at you because of your total disregard for other's well being. (As an extreme example)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Oops. I missed this.....

Sorry but that makes no sense. Everybody remembers Hitler, Stalin, Saddam, Osama, Bush.... and not for their caring smiles.

Are you planning a little genocide? They're rare and extreme cases. What makes you special and worth remembering? If you're just a common, every day, miserable SOB, your legacy will be gone and forgotten. If you cared - even about one other person - somebody knows and will remember. That's immortality....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Are you planning a little genocide?

I have no reason to at this moment, because there's no one group of people that I care enough to kill off at this point in time.

They're rare and extreme cases. What makes you special and worth remembering?

*shrugs* my good looks and charm?

If you're just a common, every day, miserable SOB, your legacy will be gone and forgotten. If you cared - even about one other person - somebody knows and will remember. That's immortality....

The internet is immortality as well, since every word written down by anybody, anywhere is recorded down not just on servers hosting a forum or other web site, but in the memory cache of computers in every computer that opened that page, or perhaps saved that page or document on the internet..... so long as the internet survives, the majority of what anybody inputs into the internet will remain there for generations to come..... thereby allowing more people come across your input..... hince being more known then just by one person telling a vauge story about you once apon a time, where the person they're talking to will probably forget all about the story 3 mins later.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I have no reason to at this moment, because there's no one group of people that I care enough to kill off at this point in time.

*shrugs* my good looks and charm?

The internet is immortality as well, since every word written down by anybody, anywhere is recorded down not just on servers hosting a forum or other web site, but in the memory cache of computers in every computer that opened that page, or perhaps saved that page or document on the internet..... so long as the internet survives, the majority of what anybody inputs into the internet will remain there for generations to come..... thereby allowing more people come across your input..... hince being more known then just by one person telling a vauge story about you once apon a time, where the person they're talking to will probably forget all about the story 3 mins later.

I suppose ... if all you have is a computer to remember you.

Woof!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I suppose ... if all you have is a computer to remember you.

Woof!

A computers unused information is no different then an unopened book..... it's there for whoever wants to read, as you and I are proving this point by reading this and responding..... it's an undying conversation that where in real life conversation, only those near earshot can hear and contribute, while it could be days, weeks, months or years after we had this conversation, that someone will come along and add to it, or at the very least.... read it.

The computer is only the medium that carries the message...... so what's more important? The Medium or the Message.

The Medium is the Message.

"A Canadian Herritage Moment" :p