Beware Bell Expressvu

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
With all due respect Durka Durka, Bell has enjoyed a monopoly on telephone service for so long it's made them forget what customer satisfaction and service really mean. De-regulation is a sham in Canada and Bell Canada if it can be avoided should be.

The reason for deregulation of bell is so they can be competitive in the VOIP market, which they are currently are not due to excessive regulation. Bell has lost a large chunk of their land line business to the cable companies, they just want a level playing field in new markets.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I
With all due respect Durka Durka, Bell has enjoyed a monopoly on telephone service for so long it's made them forget what customer satisfaction and service really mean. De-regulation is a sham in Canada and Bell Canada if it can be avoided should be.

I agree with you about the customer satisfaction, I get frustrated my self when I have to deal with the various departments as a customer of their services.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
Account sharing is illegal, starchoice, expressvu whoever.

Actually according to Star Choice you can have multiple hook ups, up to five in different locations before any questions are asked. In fact having recently given my system away, Star Choice actually encouraged me to give it away to someone in the family and split the bill with my parents instead of turning the system completely off.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Actually according to Star Choice you can have multiple hook ups, up to five in different locations before any questions are asked. In fact having recently given my system away, Star Choice actually encouraged me to give it away to someone in the family and split the bill with my parents instead of turning the system completely off.

I was under the impression that account sharing was a CRTC thing, i guess I could be wrong.

ExpressVu differs from Star Choice in that regard. With ExpressVu, you cannot have receivers active at 2 different location at the same time, not that it stops people though. The way they will find out if you are account sharing, is when your receiver dials in for a Pay Per View etc, if the phone number you are dialing from doesn't match the one on the account, you will probably get a call from their customer service department to verify all receivers on the account.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I was under the impression that account sharing was a CRTC thing, i guess I could be wrong.

ExpressVu differs from Star Choice in that regard. With ExpressVu, you cannot have receivers active at 2 different location at the same time, not that it stops people though. The way they will find out if you are account sharing, is when your receiver dials in for a Pay Per View etc, if the phone number you are dialing from doesn't match the one on the account, you will probably get a call from their customer service department to verify all receivers on the account.

I knew there was a big brother angle to that phone line crap! When I first got my system they went as far as to tell me it would not function without being in a phone jack. I was ROFL as at that point my system was in Bancroft with no phone access. Bell want $7500.00 per cottage to run in cable for phone service. I told them the were ful of s*** as my system worked fine without it. Ten years later it still works with no phone line. As for pay per view, I don't know because I've never got one. Will the ppv work without phone connection?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I knew there was a big brother angle to that phone line crap! When I first got my system they went as far as to tell me it would not function without being in a phone jack. I was ROFL as at that point my system was in Bancroft with no phone access. Bell want $7500.00 per cottage to run in cable for phone service. I told them the were ful of s*** as my system worked fine without it. Ten years later it still works with no phone line. As for pay per view, I don't know because I've never got one. Will the ppv work without phone connection?

You can order ppv through bell's website and via phone as well.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I am a Bell Express Vu customer. Due to it being a big company with nearly 2 million people it offered me above and beyond service compared to my cable comapny in a rural area. And the HD content is great.

Their installation process is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.

They contract installers, and I had and awful installer.

Came to my house put the dish up in a stupid place and refused to put it where I wanted it.

Very messy wiring, and to get to one room, he threw, yes threw a line over the roof.

Then he had none of the receivers working, and he had to go home for supper, leaving my house in a mess.

I eventually got the receivers going. But had to get a re-install for the awful mess.

I called in for a reinstall, requesting a different guy. Same guy calls: asks why, I tell him it was a disgrace. Says he will come.

2 weeks later, no one shows up

Call again, request different installer, same guy calls, I try again, he sets the date for a Friday. On Friday morning he said his van was broken down and he couldn't come. He said he would come monday. Come Monday, no one, 1 week later, I take it up to the top at the CSR center, and that time I finally get a different installer who rewires the mess.

I am now enjoying Bell, and its great. But the installation process could make anyone go mad.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Haha. Googling for Bell ExpressVu I hit this thread. I am about to tell them to shove the dish I bought almost 3 years ago.

Bell Ex works fine. The remote is crap. It is cumbersome to get around all the pay channels.

But it is driving me crazy. I watch Fox News. (THE BALANCED NO SPIN NEWS CHANNEL!):lol:

When a commercial comes on it is twice as loud as the previous audio level. I don't believe they can legally do it. I should check with the CRTC but I detest those buggers too.

I guess they 'compress' the ExpressVu commercials to effectively raise the volume. I hit the mute button and miss half of the next news item.:angryfire:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
You can make a favorites list so when you scroll through on the guide you only see the channels you put on the list.
If you just noticed the commercials are louder than the show all I can say is 'Did you just get TV service recently?'

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
They always do it.

I got ExpressVu and always watch FNC on there

Actually though, it should be known, Bell ExpressVu interrupts the FOX News commercials with promos for their services. Like VU DELIVERS!!!! They can legally do that.

Anyways, you could have a reason to bitch to ExpressVu, because its there commercial inserts.

gman123

Jul 19, 2008
Bell Express Spew

I remember growing up in the 1970's as a kid. I always revelled at the satellite dishes I saw, and said "Wow that guy has an advanced system".

I worked for a company that offered the same service. If you have absolutely no other choice go with a satellite dish and a receiver. Alternatively, if you have an advanced degree in electronics and satellite tragectory then by all means order it today.

God help you if you order it.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I remember growing up in the 1970's as a kid. I always revelled at the satellite dishes I saw, and said "Wow that guy has an advanced system".

I worked for a company that offered the same service. If you have absolutely no other choice go with a satellite dish and a receiver. Alternatively, if you have an advanced degree in electronics and satellite tragectory then by all means order it today.

God help you if you order it.

Satellite sucks, have two of them. In two weeks cable will replace it again.
M.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
I live in the country so I don't have a choice It's satellite or nuthin- Bell works for me. You have to look up the asimuth and latitude or whatever for your area I installed it myself and I admit it takes some figuring out- Hint if you want to speed up the install take a 12" tv and the receiver outside and set it up so you can see it while your adjusting the dish for signal strength- lot easier than going into check it everytime you move the dish.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I live in the country so I don't have a choice It's satellite or nuthin- Bell works for me. You have to look up the asimuth and latitude or whatever for your area I installed it myself and I admit it takes some figuring out- Hint if you want to speed up the install take a 12" tv and the receiver outside and set it up so you can see it while your adjusting the dish for signal strength- lot easier than going into check it everytime you move the dish.

And just wait for the slightest bit of rain to lose your signal or snow. Sorry if that's all available.
Cable 1/2 price of Bell including high speed internet access.
M.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
And just wait for the slightest bit of rain to lose your signal or snow. Sorry if that's all available.
Cable 1/2 price of Bell including high speed internet access.
M.
You can minimilize signal loss by getting a bigger dish eg. 36" make sure ther are no trees in the signals way. But yes there is sometimes signal loss, like I said I don't have any choice.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
We have Starchoice here. I have had the odd discussion about their "packages" and every time I have come away fortified in my opinion that the word "service" in Canada is becoming to mean something other than it's definition in the dictionary. The last time I talked with SC I wanted to downsize my subbscriptioon and got into the discussion about packages again. My question that why can't we just pick and choose which individual channels we want and nevermind the package crap. The pseudoanswer I got was that packages were cheaper and more in the consumer's interest. To that I said "bullsh|t" and hung up. If I paid the $1.99 they wanted for some of the channels you can get individually for the channels that I wanted, I'd pay a helluva lot less than the $60 + change that I am paying now. Just who the hell do they think they are telling me what is best for me? I can imagine ExpressVu is the same and so are Rogers, Shaw, etc. Some freaking choice .... either take what they throw you or take what you can pluck out of the air with the old aluminum antenna.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
We have Starchoice here. I have had the odd discussion about their "packages" and every time I have come away fortified in my opinion that the word "service" in Canada is becoming to mean something other than it's definition in the dictionary. The last time I talked with SC I wanted to downsize my subbscriptioon and got into the discussion about packages again. My question that why can't we just pick and choose which individual channels we want and nevermind the package crap. The pseudoanswer I got was that packages were cheaper and more in the consumer's interest. To that I said "bullsh|t" and hung up. If I paid the $1.99 they wanted for some of the channels you can get individually for the channels that I wanted, I'd pay a helluva lot less than the $60 + change that I am paying now. Just who the hell do they think they are telling me what is best for me? I can imagine ExpressVu is the same and so are Rogers, Shaw, etc. Some freaking choice .... either take what they throw you or take what you can pluck out of the air with the old aluminum antenna.

I have ExpressVu with twin satellite receivers for over 2 yrs now and when they have put on a prom/free weekend after it's finished I end up with the channels free of charge == up to 24 now.
IMO, Les
The less that you talk to "these" people the better off you are.

Last edited:

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
I have ExpressVu with twin satellite receivers for over 2 yrs now and when they have put on a prom/free weekend after it's finished I end up with the channels free of charge == up to 24 now.
IMO, Les
The less that you talk to "these" people the better off you are.
REALLY?, I've got the connection to twin it but haven't got around to it yet. What kind of receiver do you have?