Iranian president in United States

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Interesting radio show on public radio this afternoon, talking about this very thing. Made mention that should the US go after Iran the fall out would be unpredictable. Since there has been no other time when the American public is as aware of their gov't dirty deeds as they are today...interesting times...

Side note: They also made mention on how John Wayne was able to avoid being drafted for WWII but was able to "influence" thousands of young men to go...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The radio program was called "lapdogs with laptops" and was mostly about "professional" journalists

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
What do you think the kurds got gassed with? :roll: Just because there weren't a lot and they weren't in good shape doesn't mean they didn't exit at all.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/false-dilemma.html[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[/list]

ummm.... IRAN buddy.... IRAN!!! Saddam Hussein from IraQ gassed the Kurds.... IraN is the country that we are talking about here... Maybe get yourself an atlas and a history book.

And Saddam was an ally of the USA at the time.... what a surprise. 8O

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I thought our Government did a decent job of just ignoring the Mahmoudapalooza, it was the press and Columbia who were all wetting their pants over his visit.

If he had been really sincere about laying a wreath at the WTC, he could have sneaked down there when no one was looking and just did it, but no, he opted for the photo-op...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
isnt' the site under security 24/7 during the building process?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I thought our Government did a decent job of just ignoring the Mahmoudapalooza, it was the press and Columbia who were all wetting their pants over his visit.

If he had been really sincere about laying a wreath at the WTC, he could have sneaked down there when no one was looking and just did it, but no, he opted for the photo-op...

Yeah ... your government did an excellent job of being undiplomatic - the view the rest of the world has come to expect of the Arrogant States of America. Gee ... wonder why nobody likes me....

Wolf

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I've never heard of a foreign leader sneaking about in a busy city. Especially one with many people who would probably like to see him dead.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
.if he had driven a taxi down there he would have fit in with all the rest of them.

I had no idea that New York had such a problem with foreign leaders hanging out.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You're suggesting if he were sincere he should have done that? There are no other possibilities?

Of course he could have, doesn't mean he should have.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Believe in what kind of "freedom"..exactly are you talking about here?

The freedom to pre-empively invade another nation...something along those lines perhaps?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
What a pile of horse sh|it. That is not nearly as accurate as the first statement, because including Canada on that list implies that we use the death penalty, which we obviously do not. :roll:

No, a pile of horse sh|it is very different.

You can take whatever implication you want, it would still be 91%.
That stat is meaningless because it could be that 90% of executions occur in China, while all the rest listed add up to the remaing 1%.

An elementary point really, easily not confused with a pile of horse sh|it. :p

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
No, a pile of horse sh|it is very different.

You can take whatever implication you want, it would still be 91%.
That stat is meaningless because it could be that 90% of executions occur in China, while all the rest listed add up to the remaing 1%.

An elementary point really, easily not confused with a pile of horse sh|it. :p

When listing a statistic like that, including Canada means that we contribute to that statistic. We obviously do not. Which makes your assertion horse sh|it I'm not arguing on the weight accorded to those in the original stat, but it is certainly more accurate than including Canada. All that stat said was which countries contribute to a percentage of legal executions in the world. To suggest that including a country which doesn't use the death penalty--in a stat regarding worldwide use of the death penalty--is more accurate than a stat which only includes those countries using the death penalty, is moronic.:roll:

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
To suggest that including a country which doesn't use the death penalty--in a stat regarding worldwide use of the death penalty--is more accurate than a stat which only includes those countries using the death penalty, is moronic.:roll:

I agree. If anyone ever says that I will join you in contradicting them.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's equally moronic to say both statements are equally accurate, which is what you said.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
It's equally moronic to say both statements are equally accurate, which is what you said.

You've done nothing to show that. I explained my point. You'll need to back peddle a wee little bit further than that. :lol:

Would it still be 91% or not? What if, instead of Canada, I used as an example a nation that does have capital punishment on the books but never executed anyone? Would that be less moronic?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yes it would be less moronic. Regardless of how many times a judge used the death penalty during sentencing. Including a country which does not even belong in the same category of statistics is wrong, fundamentally wrong. It's not even the same categorical variable.