Re: RE: Krispy Kreme failing in Canada

I think not said:
SECONDGEN said:
I think not said:
SECONDGEN said:
I think not said:
SECONDGEN said:
GreenGreta said:
Cool that everyone is so happy that the people who were misfortunate enough to have jobs with Krispy Kreme are now unemployed.

Now let's pray for Walmart to go under.

But agreed, Krispy Kreme waaaaas disgusting. Robin's Donuts is the way to go, they make the best coffee too.

HAHAHAHAHA Walmart going under....aren't they one step away from taking over Disney Corp ahahahaha or better yet the world, fraid we aren't going to see the end of Walmart anytime soon such a pity isn't it.

You sound like a major stockholder there :p

OMG!! You've seen my wardrobe haven't you

:sign5:

And judging by your laugh you have seen what I set my table with.

Very funny, you made me laugh today. It's already 3pm on the Eastern seaboard and first time I laughed. Its been a looooooong day already. :p

Glad to be of help, now can I send you some dam rain????

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
I think not said:
Sure, If you can stand me singing in it :D[/quote

Well your far enough away I doubt I would be able to hear ya. We have had rain for 8 days straight now, surely you have seen us on the news, we're the ones swimming in the muddy waters along side our cattle trying to race each other to higher ground. The desperate ones in our parkas, standing atop our homes as the water level quickly approaches the second story windows.
Please please take the rain, we can't even get an ark built quick enough.
Where the h*** is Noah when we need him???

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
I think not said:
He's probably busy obtaining building permits.

Well we're people in need here, what is he thinking!!!!!! Screw the permit, my cousin bobs neighbor can build an ark for cheap, this way the taxes won't be so high.

Azalie

May 25, 2005
Down with Krispy Kreme! mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I'm so happy to hear this. :) My one former friend came down from Mississauga once w/ a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I bit into one and instantly wanted to spit it out. But, since she had travelled all that way and had paid god knows what for them, I forced myself to eat the whole doughnut. She and her boyfriend ate the other 11 between them.

Sorry, but to me, a baked good should not have more fat than a meal at Wendy's (at least it seemed that way, I don't know the actual nutritional facts off-hand). If it wasn't so supersaturated in grease, it would've been okay. I love yeast doughnuts like the vanilla dip and maple dip doughnuts at Tim Horton's. Those are BAKED, not fried. Okay, they're still bad for you, but they're not greasy.

Starbuck's is evil too. So is Wal-Mart.

Go to Tim Horton's and shop at Zellers. Feel proud to be Canadian. :)

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
I thought we agreed that Tims was not Canadian anymore.

I don't shop at Walmart. I hate the store and find myself yelling at people when I am there. I don't know what it is about the place, but I really hate it. I stick to Zeller's myself.

Since when are donuts "Baked"? Just a question.

Azalie

May 25, 2005

GreenGreta said:
I thought we agreed that Tims was not Canadian anymore.

I don't shop at Walmart. I hate the store and find myself yelling at people when I am there. I don't know what it is about the place, but I really hate it. I stick to Zeller's myself.

Since when are donuts "Baked"? Just a question.

Well, Tim Horton's was bought out by Wendy's, I realise, but Wendy's has been around since it was a branch plant operation (i.e., pre-NAFTA_, so I believe a significant portion of its profits stay in Canada. That is to say, I believe there is a head office for "Wendy's Canada." There is probably still some trickle down to the USA, but money in Tim's and Wendy's I believe still supports our economy more than the US.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I'm going only on assumption.

I love Zellers. Wal-Mart mostly sells crap, their people aren't really all that friendly, and their prices aren't really all that reasonable. Besides, in the event something *is* cheaper, Zellers will pricematch. :) Just go to the customer service desk. They'll call to get the price, and give it to you for the same amount of Wal-Mart is less.

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
Re: RE: Krispy Kreme failing

no1important said:
I thought Target was buying Zellers?

I did too, sure looks like that when you head south of the border when you wander into a target store and see Massamo all over the place.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I think they did guys they just haven't switched names yet :x I noticed Radio shack has started their name switch to Circuit City what a joke :evil:

Toro

Senate Member

GreenGreta said:
Well, Tim Horton's was bought out by Wendy's, I realise, but Wendy's has been around since it was a branch plant operation (i.e., pre-NAFTA_, so I believe a significant portion of its profits stay in Canada. That is to say, I believe there is a head office for "Wendy's Canada." There is probably still some trickle down to the USA, but money in Tim's and Wendy's I believe still supports our economy more than the US.

Tim Hortons is a very well run company. It accounts for about a third of Wendy's sales and half of Wendy's profits, which is way up compared to when they bought it.

The shareholder base is primarily American. Since dividends and share buybacks accrue to shareholders, such disbursements would mean profits would tend to flow out of Canada. Having said that, like any company, they reinvest back into the business, so part of the profits are staying in Canada.

What's interesting is that two New York funds have taken positions accounting for about 15% of the shares of Wendy's in an effort to pressure management to spin Tim Horton's out of Wendy's. In other words, they're trying to separate Tim's from Wendy's. They think that Tim Horton's would have a higher valuation in the market if it were its own company. I agree with that but I don't know if they'll succeed. If it does split off, it will probably be listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Wendy's has been expanding into the NE of the US, particulalry Ohio, Michigan and upstate NY. It remains to be seen if they will be successful in America.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Krispy Kreme is now down to a half dozen stores in Canada. I think the biggest problem is their crappy product.
The lineups and the media buzz are gone, and so are most of its stores. Krispy Kreme, which entered Canada with a bang, has shrivelled to a half-dozen doughnut stores.
KremeKo Inc., which has exclusive franchise in every province except British Columbia, filed for protection from its creditors on April 15. It tried to find a suitable buyer this summer but was unsuccessful.

KremeKo hopes that it can salvage its six

http://tinyurl.com/yrlrpy

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
What they should do is find some old Woolworth's executive. The long gone retailer used to have wonderful donuts. Far superior to what's available now. A true pastry wonder. We used to go down and buy their honeydips and freeze them by the dozen. Now there was a product I'd drive over town to acquire! And surely one that could save the beleaguered but besmirched donut doyen.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... donuts

I've only had Krispy Kremes once and I loved them. Yum! Being the Queen of all Pastries (eating, not making) it is sad that this franchise isn't providing me with one more of my basic food groups. Never did try the coffee but of all the coffee for sale I still prefer my own made at home exactly how I like it.

Edited to add ...
If you really want an awesome treat, try a Persian from Thunder Bay Grocery!

Shell brought me some when she came back from there. Yummmmmm!

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
"beleaguered but besmirched donut doyen" You are right into alliteration today...:p

Back in the olden days my mom used to make doughnuts. She made both bread and cake doughnuts, both frosted and plain, baked and fried, and they were great. Alas, nobody thought to get her recipes.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Yes, once the art was practised at home. There was a retired Canadian railways chef down the road when I was a kid. He made great donuts and buns and all the kids in the neighbourhood loved him. Cooking and baking are an art that deserves more respect than it gets today.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yes, once the art was practised at home. There was a retired Canadian railways chef down the road when I was a kid. He made great donuts and buns and all the kids in the neighbourhood loved him. Cooking and baking are an art that deserves more respect than it gets today.

You know, my mum made a doughnut with onions and bacon in them. To this day I've never seen another savory(sp) doughnut. I mean savory as opposed to sweet. I find most of the doughnuts out there to be too sweet. I think if someone tried it it might catch on.