"The west wants out": Separatist sentiments growing in Alberta

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Then what's the point?

Far too late for that

So this is a "we want out for good" thing?

Not really

Sorry, I think it is.

Funny comment... I don't know if you mean cutting services to Eastern Canada as much of the cash for Fed services in that region originates from Western Canada... Or do you mean that the Feds cut services to Western Canada and the West finances these services via the multiplicity of Fed taxes that will NOT be sent to Ottawa?

Interesting conundrum, ain't it?

Not a funny comment.

All money the west gets, all considerations that are Federal, anything to do with Canada as a whole stops. Sure that means stuff coming East too but that's what the West wants.

No more Canada.

So you have to do everything on your own.

As for "cash for Fed services in that region originates from Western Canada" - I avoid commenting on that debate because I've seen so much on both sides I honestly don't want to get into that argument. That said, I also don't believe that comment to be totally true, so...

At one point, the mantra was "The West Wants In", now we're of the mind that "The West Wants Out"

Okay, so... you vote to leave. No more services, no more CCP for your retired people, no more assistance of Fed monies - yes, you get some, everyone does - no more cash for Medicare, no more RCMP, no more free passage out of Alberta, etc, etc.. all that to be negotiated after the vote and AFTER things are stopped dead in its tracks.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Then what's the point?

The point is that it's not a "sham" as you postulated

The ROC has made it clear that there will be no flexibility on their part, so the decision is kinda made for the West on this.

All you need do is read some of the trash and idiocy offered by Curious Cdn to understand the general scenario

Sorry, I think it is.

So be it. As events proceed, it will get far more interesting

Not a funny comment.

I meant funny strange, not funny haha

All money the west gets, all considerations that are Federal, anything to do with Canada as a whole stops. Sure that means stuff coming East too but that's what the West wants.

The way that it works is that the taxes gathered by Ottawa from each province are 'given back' in the form of services and cash. Western provinces 'get back' billions less in order to subsidize services in have-not provinces.

The point is, financially, the 'have' provinces will be better off

No more Canada.

Canada will still exist, just a different shape

Exactly what is the Fed gvt currently doing fore AB & SK?

As for "cash for Fed services in that region originates from Western Canada" - I avoid commenting on that debate because I've seen so much on both sides I honestly don't want to get into that argument. That said, I also don't believe that comment to be totally true, so...

Take a look at how equalization is set up and you'll get the picture.

Okay, so... you vote to leave. No more services, no more CCP for your retired people, no more assistance of Fed monies - yes, you get some, everyone does - no more cash for Medicare, no more RCMP, no more free passage out of Alberta, etc, etc.. all that to be negotiated after the vote and AFTER things are stopped dead in its tracks.

To reiterate, all of those monies you mention for an individual province already are contributed by that province. Select projects notwithstanding (because they are so few and far between), AB or SK will be able to more easily handle those same services and costs.

On the flip side, those regions that already have an aged demographic will have a more difficult time maintaining the same level of services.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Then what's the point?
Sorry, I think it is.
Not a funny comment.
No more Canada.

Why wouldn't there be no more CPP, it doesn't belong to the Feds. nor the Province as far as that goes, the Feds just manage it

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Why wouldn't there be no more CPP, it doesn't belong to the Feds. nor the Province as far as that goes, the Feds just manage it

I heard an interesting analysis on the CPP issue.

Some folks have speculated that AB would expect approx $40 billion, however, an analyst suggested that by virtue of what AB has collected on CPP in addition to higher contributions per capita and fewer people collecting on it the number looks close to $130 billion.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Because I feel about this as I feel about it if Quebec was doing the same: you want out, everything's cut the moment you decide out. Everything Federal stops and terms are negotiated after that cut. So no more Federal funding for anything, no more CPP for people, no more external help from the Feds in case of disaster, no more money flowing to the province for services, no more RCMP, no more open border with the rest of Canada... you wanted out, you got out.
That's what the West wants, right?
That's what happens when Nations divide.

What alleged services do we lose? RCMP is a rented Police force. No more need for expensive bilingualism.

What do we get from the East that we can't or dont already handle ourselves?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
What do we get from the East that we can't or dont already handle ourselves?

We won't be getting any of this...

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Some folks have speculated that AB would expect approx $40 billion, however, an analyst suggested that by virtue of what AB has collected on CPP in addition to higher contributions per capita, the number looks close to $130 billion.

I believe it since most estimates are based on 40 hour work weeks, realistically over 65% of the work force in the west are running nearly 60 hour work week with 20 of them on time and half. Until a couple of years ago we never saw where we hit maximum contribution on CPP we just kept paying.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Some folks have speculated that AB would expect approx $40 billion, however, an analyst suggested that by virtue of what AB has collected on CPP in addition to higher contributions per capita, the number looks close to $130 billion.
Why work your life at GDP per head of $70-80K per year in AB or SK only to end up with a $45K PEI human capital investment return?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I believe it since most estimates are based on 40 hour work weeks, realistically over 65% of the work force in the west are running nearly 60 hour work week with 20 of them on time and half. Until a couple of years ago we never saw where we hit maximum contribution on CPP we just kept pying.
The East is coming after Western pension funds. Have you heard about the kerfuffle at FCL Refinery with Unifor? Unifor want to take over the FCL Pension funds. CO-OP says no f-cking way and is going to lock them out.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Curious Cdn is gonna be awfully busy hanging all of the mutineers
I hope that he's smart enough to limber-up and do all the requisite stretching exercises beforehand... Wouldn't want to pull a muscle or get all cramped-up (other than menstrual I guess)
That's "personstrual". No biggy. Just whisper sweet nothings in his mutineers

:)
Just sayin'

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I presume that, upon declaring the free and sovereign Saudi Alberta, your next move will be to demand all the benefits of being Canadian, whilst shedding all of the burdens.

Sound about right?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
The East is coming after Western pension funds. Have you heard about the kerfuffle at FCL Refinery with Unifor? Unifor want to take over the FCL Pension funds. CO-OP says no f-cking way and is going to lock them out.

Nope I never heard that, they can bugger off

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
A truck load of the dismembered heads of your fist born in tribute would be nice.
;)
Long as you can prove they were legally yours in the first place that is.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have little doubt you'll demand MFN status, passport-free border crossing, special concessions for roads, rail, and pipelines, and plenty more.
Get a topo map for the Manitoba/Ontario border. CPR and CN are already multinational. They bought out shitloads of American lines years ago.

I guess we'll have a best of three match of horseshoes to figure out the big headache of a hardly used 2 lane highway across northern Ontario.

I 90 is and has been the go to East/West route since it was built.

All I ask for is property Rights a Republic and rule of law applied equally. Everything else has always been Provincial.