Cfl 2017

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Chris Jones has some work to do at half-time with the Riders down 17 - 3 to the Argos. We've been dinged by far too many penalties that granted on review were really really iffy - none-the-less you don't win games by giving away yards. Our QB situation is also iffy with Kev now on the board with two interceptions and Brandon not doing much better. Our defense is the only real bright spot so far but they are spending too much time on the field.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
End of 3rd Q.........and now it is time for a miracle Chris. We are down 18 - 3 with one Q left. Neither of the offenses are at their best today while both defenses are playing great ball.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
At least we got further than the Hoovers.

We did that, pete but we also improved vastly over last year's performance. We proved we can be contenders with the core of guys we have now. There is no way I thought we would get this far when the season started. So, overall though I am sorry we didn't get to the Cup this year, I have a lot of hope and belief (which I did not have last year) that we can get there in 2018. All we need to do is go out and find a couple of really good QBs because I do not want to see Kevin back next year and Brandon is also iffy. We also need to make sure we hang onto Rosie and Duron.

Thank you Riders, Coach Jones and staff, and Rider Nation. It was a great ride this year.

Good news in the Western final though - the Esks are leading 14 zip at the end of the 1rst Q.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
the boys are kicking ass and taking names

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
We did that, pete but we also improved vastly over last year's performance. We proved we can be contenders with the core of guys we have now. There is no way I thought we would get this far when the season started. So, overall though I am sorry we didn't get to the Cup this year, I have a lot of hope and belief (which I did not have last year) that we can get there in 2018. All we need to do is go out and find a couple of really good QBs because I do not want to see Kevin back next year and Brandon is also iffy. We also need to make sure we hang onto Rosie and Duron.

Thank you Riders, Coach Jones and staff, and Rider Nation. It was a great ride this year.

Well, I am back at a computer. I think at some point I will be warm again. The game was damn cold and then some. I had dressed for the temperature (+3) but I did not factor in the wind which was right in our faces. Fortunately, I had a BMO mastercard so I got free hand warmers. But I was still cold ... almost as cold as the Roughrider offense. I don't understand why they pulled Glenn when they did and I don't understand why they put him back in. Before they pulled him the offense had been moving but had stalled a couple of drives (and the pick 6). He was horrible when they put him back in.

The Roughrider defense was pretty good for most of the game. They got over-exeuberant on one drive (well the first was actually the offense turned defence after an INT). The only time they played poorly was on the last drive.

Our punter and kickoff guy is poor. We need an improvement. At first I thought it was that he was against the wind but he sucked with the wind too.

One thing I don't understand. Riders win the toss. They defer to second half. They kick off first half. But then in second half they kick off again. Why?

Anyway entertaining game. I enjoyed the experience. Argos fans were gracious AFTER they had won. Didn't rub it in. My son and his friend on the other hand did.

Also, Argo offensive line gets lots of credit. I think there may have only been 1 or 2 sacks of Ray all game.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Nice to see the Riders lose. Not just because of how annoying their fans are but mainly because I've hated the crossover idea from the start. The Grey Cup should be between the East and the West. That's what's best for the league. Secondly, the way the crossover worked this year amounted to rewarding the 4th place team by giving them an easier path to the Championship game. I'm so glad that, in typical Rider fashion, they took that opportunity and fumbled it

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I can't see Glenn doing another season and Bridge isn't starter grade yet.

Jones has some work to do.

Don't forget to buy a share and help fund a Cup winning QB.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Well, I am back at a computer. I think at some point I will be warm again. The game was damn cold and then some. I had dressed for the temperature (+3) but I did not factor in the wind which was right in our faces. Fortunately, I had a BMO mastercard so I got free hand warmers. But I was still cold ... almost as cold as the Roughrider offense. I don't understand why they pulled Glenn when they did and I don't understand why they put him back in. Before they pulled him the offense had been moving but had stalled a couple of drives (and the pick 6). He was horrible when they put him back in.

The decision to pull Glen in favor of Brandon might have worked had Jones given the latter time to settle in but by going back and forth between the two neither were able to get any rhythm going. Mind you after Kev's 3rd interception, it was a no-brainer.

The Roughrider defense was pretty good for most of the game. They got over-exeuberant on one drive (well the first was actually the offense turned defence after an INT). The only time they played poorly was on the last drive.
Agree, IRBS. I thought the D played their hearts out for all but that last Argo drive.

Our punter and kickoff guy is poor. We need an improvement. At first I thought it was that he was against the wind but he sucked with the wind too.
Actually Josh Bartell has been solid all year pinning teams deep in their own end zone time after time. Yesterday he when he was tackling on a punt return he somehow twisted his ankle but was put back in the game. Between the injury and the wind - when he was kicking against it, he didn't have a good day.

One thing I don't understand. Riders win the toss. They defer to second half. They kick off first half. But then in second half they kick off again. Why?
I don't know either, IRBS.

Anyway entertaining game. I enjoyed the experience. Argos fans were gracious AFTER they had won. Didn't rub it in. My son and his friend on the other hand did.
Glad to hear Argo fans were gracious. :smile:

Also, Argo offensive line gets lots of credit. I think there may have only been 1 or 2 sacks of Ray all game.
Lots of credit due to the Argo offensive line when protecting RR who is not the most mobile of QBs - give him the protection and he gets the job done most of the time.

I can't see Glenn doing another season and Bridge isn't starter grade yet.

Jones has some work to do.

Don't forget to buy a share and help fund a Cup winning QB.

For me, pete Glenn is gone - this was his last chance to prove he had what we need in a QB and he wasn't up to the job. I'd like to see Brandon back in training camp next year. He showed some ability this year and maybe just needs more reps. Most definitely we will be in the market for another QB. I will be buying a share or two this year for sure.

the boys are kicking ass and taking names

Boooo................:lol:. I was 0 for 2 in picks for wins yesterday............good thing I didn't put any money down. GO ARGOS! :p

Not just because of how annoying their fans are but mainly because I've hated the crossover idea from the start. The Grey Cup should be between the East and the West. That's what's best for the league. Secondly, the way the crossover worked this year amounted to rewarding the 4th place team by giving them an easier path to the Championship game. I'm so glad that, in typical Rider fashion, they took that opportunity and fumbled it

I just love reading your infrequent contributions to CFL topics, Cannuck. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that Rider Nation (the 3th Man) is so easily able to get under your skin. Know what, we don't care what you think about us because we KNOW that we are the BEST fans in the league. Maybe if the Eastern teams had such steadfast fans they would win more games making the cross-over unnecessary.

You know what makes us the BEST fans in the league? The fact that no matter how bad the season is we still stick with our team. We still believe in them. We still support them. We will always love our Riders - win or lose. Too bad the same can't be said about the fans of other teams in the CFL. :lol::lol::lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Maybe if the Eastern teams had such steadfast fans they would win more games making the cross-over unnecessary.

If having devoted fans meant more wins, the Riders would have won more than 4 cups in 100 years and the Leaves would win the Stanley Cup every other year.

Great fans lead to under performing teams like the Riders when ownership only cares about bums in the seat

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If having devoted fans meant more wins, the Riders would have won more than 4 cups in 100 years and the Leaves would win the Stanley Cup every other year.

Great fans lead to under performing teams like the Riders when ownership only cares about bums in the seat

Is your skin itching yet, Cannuck?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

It wasn't the fans fault that all 4 eastern teams basically sucked the big one this year. The Argos 1st place with a 9-9 record? The path is only easier because the eastern teams completely suck. They all should have been eliminated. And the Riders should have had the bye and hosted the Eastern final rather than be forced on the road to play inferior loser teams.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It wasn't the fans fault that all 4 eastern teams basically sucked the big one this year. The Argos 1st place with a 9-9 record? The path is only easier because the eastern teams completely suck. They all should have been eliminated. And the Riders should have had the bye and hosted the Eastern final rather than be forced on the road to play inferior loser teams.

Yes because giving a 4th place team a bye into a conference final makes so much sense.