How integrated should NOrth America become?

How integrated should North America become?

• We should repeal NAFTA and return to protectionism.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Keep things as they are now?

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Promote a common labour market and free movement of labour.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
We've paid over 170 Millions to companies who've sued us, and there will be more and more. NAFTA is all about short term profit for foreign corporations. And while we kill NAFTA, maybe it's time we look at some borders or more effective border security. The US is unable to stop the flow of guns into Canada.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We should make the District of Columbia and Canada states.

That's like the Brexit dilemma. If Canada's provinces became US states, we'd enjoy full access to every aspect of the US market, and the uS market is Canada's most important by far. However, seeing that the US does tend to favour protectionism, we might also end up entrapping ourselves in a North American trading bloc that would force tariffs to rise all around us.

By remaining our own state, we can promote more trade with the rest of the world, but our access to our most important trading partner is more limited too. The UK presently faces the same dilemma with the EU.

We've paid over 170 Millions to companies who've sued us, and there will be more and more. NAFTA is all about short term profit for foreign corporations. And while we kill NAFTA, maybe it's time we look at some borders or more effective border security. The US is unable to stop the flow of guns into Canada.

Now that I think about it, I should have included reform NAFTA too. Though I'm not in favour of repealing it, I am certainly open to reforming it. Also, make it less about the corporations and more about the workers. That's one thing I like about a common labour agreement. It's ludicrous that a product can cross the border more easily than a person can.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Canada needs ot reassert its sovereignty.. in trade, national defense, internal and foreign policy, on its natural resources.

That's what the nation was founded on. That's what John A. MacDonald's policies of nationalism were all about. It was all based on Canada NOT being absorbed into the United States and fighting their pernicious plot of Manifest Destiny.

It's become increasingly difficult with the pathetic PMs we've had, without interruption for the last 30 years. And its certainly not helped now by that half assed little wimp and fool Justin Trudeau and his 'internationalism' and 'post structuralism'.

But that is the only future for Canada, which has a tradition and destiny.. steadily corrupted by the quisling, cowardly Globalist governments of the last generation.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
I like my American friend and I would not want another neighbour, but I am a Canadian with very different views of the world and my expectation of a country is very different. If by some Alien force intervention Canada should ever be absorbed in the mist of the US, I would quickly say arrivederci.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What do most Canadians think about that?

Or aren't they going to be asked?

I don't know about that, but I would be strongly in favour of a common labour-market agreement and the free movement of labour. It would give Canadian companies access to the entire North American labour market and so could attract especially businesses that require particularly specialized labour that is difficult to access domestically. Beyond that, it's an effecive way to increase Canada's taxpayer base without increasing its social-assistance base unlike what can happen with free movement of people since here we'd be dealing with free movement of labour. In other words, you're welcome to come and live in Canada as long as you're economically self-sufficient. Not only could it increase the taxpayer base, but the consumer market too. Population growth would mean a boom in the sale of food, clothing, and shelter at least. Therefore, even if they take jobs away from Canadians, the taxes they pay would help unemployed Canadians receive better trades or professional education and the money they spend would create new jobs for the jobs they'd taken away. A short-term problem could be inflation as the working population grows and there are more mouths to feed, backs to clothe, and heads to cover with shelter.

However, once the food, clothing, housing, and other industries should have adapted to meet the increase in demand, Canada would be left with a larger overall tax base and could then consider giving citizenship to these workers.

One possible drawback is if more Canadians leave to work in the US than vice versa.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
NAFTA needs to be reviewed, but worst is the FIPPA with China. Its claim after claim against Canada, we have 6 billion in litigation presently. How can it be good for us?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's like the Brexit dilemma. If Canada's provinces became US states, we'd enjoy full access to every aspect of the US market, and the uS market is Canada's most important by far. However, seeing that the US does tend to favour protectionism, we might also end up entrapping ourselves in a North American trading bloc that would force tariffs to rise all around us.

By remaining our own state, we can promote more trade with the rest of the world, but our access to our most important trading partner is more limited too. The UK presently faces the same dilemma with the EU.
I didn't say make Canadian provinces states, I said make Canada a state.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
NAFTA needs to be reviewed, but worst is the FIPPA with China. Its claim after claim against Canada, we have 6 billion in litigation presently. How can it be good for us?

I think all trade agreements should necessarily include a common labour-market agreement, and here's why.

If it's only a trade agreement, the motivation for each party is to try to get the best deal for itself and to hell with the other party to the agreement.

If you include a common labour-market agreement and free movement of labour, the the negotiators have to consider that if the deal screws one side over, eveyone will just cross over to take the jobs in the other country, so both sides end up getting screwed. Then the motive for both sides is not the deal that benefits this or that party, but the one that benefits the people, the one that will create the most wealth for all sides.

I didn't say make Canadian provinces states, I said make Canada a state.

I noticed that. But that one state would be bigger than all of the other states combined, not to mention that there is a big difference between Quebec, Alberta, and Nunavut for example.

It would have to be a highly decentralized state.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think all trade agreements should necessarily include a common labour-market agreement, and here's why.

If it's only a trade agreement, the motivation for each party is to try to get the best deal for itself and to hell with the other party to the agreement.

If you include a common labour-market agreement and free movement of labour, the the negotiators have to consider that if the deal screws one side over, eveyone will just cross over to take the jobs in the other country, so both sides end up getting screwed. Then the motive for both sides is not the deal that benefits this or that party, but the one that benefits the people, the one that will create the most wealth for all sides.

I noticed that. But that one state would be bigger than all of the other states combined, not to mention that there is a big difference between Quebec, Alberta, and Nunavut for example.

It would have to be a highly decentralized state.
It would be the second-biggest by population, after California. As to the rest of your silly argument, if it can be run centrally as a country, it can be run centrally as a state.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
You assume several things. The most glaring, to me anyway, is...

Why would the US want to have Canada as part of the union and have to deal with our problems? They only need economic access and control. They have that now.

Would they want to deal with the Quebecers? Aboriginals? Additional costs? Changing healthcare? And more.

The additional costs (infrastructure) associated with managing a chunk of dirt the size of Canada would be a royal pain. Sure, water and oil access would be tad easier, but they have that now, without the aforementioned headaches.

An economic association makes more sense.

You all think like Americans, regardless of what you claim. You are inundated with US television, movies, music, automobiles, and other tech. We began drifting away from being "uniquely Canadian" as the 1960s drew to a close.
---

Examples:

Most schools teach x, y, zee, color, and use Word with the default US English format.

Canadians pay as much attention to US politics as they do to the politics up here.

We rely on the US (and China now) to provide us with finished goods.

Most of our gasoline is refined down south and is sold back to us.

You folks is funny!

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
We should make the District of Columbia and Canada states.
Make DC the door marked 'Quick Exit'. Canada, not so much more like the Eskimo who enjoys snow-cones so much it brings a tear to his eye for just a moment and then it is back to enjoying the lifestyle that come with a 90% unemployment rate. On a good year it will hit 95% and then it is free rides for everybody at the new amusement park in sunny Mexico, where the wind has you take your coat off rather than wrapping it around you tighter.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
While looking at Christmas ads on youtuber, I discovered this "uniquely Canadian" Christmas video about Canadian Tire.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfZfrbc7p_Q