Canada one step closer to marijuana legalization

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I think a lot of people are missing one main point in this discussion. I think when introducing something new to people (Iegally) it should be something that benefits them and I think pot benefits very, very few people and definitely nowhere near the majority.
Where did you stand on prohibition - because it doesn't work and feeds crime

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The body produces its own cholesterol.

Where did you stand on prohibition - because it doesn't work and feeds crime

Who said anything about prohibition? If you read my posts on this thread, I'm even cautiously open to legalizing opiods.

My issue has to do with its commercial promotion.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Let's look at pork. I don't eat it, it's unhealthy. But last I'd checked, it's not particularly addictive either.

Nicotine and THC are addictive, especially nicotine.

Pork is unhealthy???? Since when and who says? Pork is actually very healthy if eaten in moderation. Lots of Vitamin B12.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Marijuana wasn't a controlled substance til after WW2

And it was prohibited for a reason, like booze.

However, booze was the white man's drug of choice, so people refused to give up on it.

A modern take on prohibiting alcohol et al. could be to severely restrict its advertising beyond anything seen before for a legal substance while still allowing the sale of the substance per se.

Maybe even allow people to brew their own. Limits the number of shops in town.

Pork is unhealthy???? Since when and who says? Pork is actually very healthy if eaten in moderation. Lots of Vitamin B12.

And its not particularly addictive either.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
And it was prohibited for a reason, like booze.

However, booze was the white man's drug of choice, so people refused to give up on it.

A modern take on prohibiting alcohol et al. could be to severely restrict its advertising beyond anything seen before for a legal substance while still allowing the sale of the substance per se.

Maybe even allow people to brew their own. Limits the number of shops in town.

And its not particularly addictive either.

It was prohibited for a reason alright. That reason being the armed forces no longer needed as much rope or other hemp products and the emerging petrochemical conglomerates had just invented nylon and other synthetics so they lobbied government to outlaw hemp and the easiest way to do it was to make it a controlled substance due to the narcotic effect of smoking it. It wasn't exactly the first corruption of government but it is a fine example of the corporate lobby getting laws changed/passed in order to increase profits.

This is an abbreviated version but you get the picture

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It was prohibited for a reason alright. That reason being the armed forces no longer needed as much rope or other hemp products and the emerging petrochemical conglomerates had just invented nylon and other synthetics so they lobbied government to outlaw hemp and the easiest way to do it was to make it a controlled substance due to the narcotic effect of smoking it. It wasn't exactly the first corruption of government but it is a fine example of the corporate lobby getting laws changed/passed in order to increase profits.

This is an abbreviated version but you get the picture

So you admit it has narcotic properties. So why would you want to have it sold at the checkout along with the bubble gum?

Hemp fibres for clothing, rope, etc. should be legal of course. I'm talking about human consumption of the product as a drug, not about its use in the manufacturing process.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So you admit it has narcotic properties. So why would you want to have it sold at the checkout along with the bubble gum?

Why not. It is nowhere near as bad as alcohol and far less problematic than most synthetic pharmaceuticals. Besides that it is freedom of choice to buy/use it just like liquor or pills or tobacco.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why not. It is nowhere near as bad as alcohol and far less problematic than most synthetic pharmaceuticals. Besides that it is freedom of choice to buy/use it just like liquor or pills or tobacco.

So you think it's okay for a young teenager to just walk into a shop and buy marijuana?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So you think it's okay for a young teenager to just walk into a shop and biy marijuana?

When did I say that? You haven't bothered to ask where I stand or what I think is acceptable. All you have done is rant on and on about hiding it all away from your sight so you don't get triggered in to addiction. LOL

Go back and read through again, I continually reference 'adults'. Figure it out from there.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When did I say that? You haven't bothered to ask where I stand or what I think is acceptable. All you have done is rant on and on about hiding it all away from your sight so you don't get triggered in to addiction. LOL

Go back and read through again, I continually reference 'adults'. Figure it out from there.

Okay, my apologies. So it's okay for tobacco companies to sponsor kid cartoons featuring Joe Camel and the Marlborough man as long as shops don't sell to minors.

So what is your stance?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The body produces its own cholesterol.

Who said anything about prohibition? If you read my posts on this thread, I'm even cautiously open to legalizing opiods.

My issue has to do with its commercial promotion.

Geez ... even when you quote, someone can't see through their self-absorbed snit....

So you think it's okay for a young teenager to just walk into a shop and buy marijuana?
If he/she's old enough to slap an Age Of Majority card on the counter, what's the problem (other than the ones you're steering the topic to)

Prohibition?? I wasn't standing at all at the time! Different kettle of fish! Booze was legal prior to prohibition. :)
So was weed ... and cocaine, opium....

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Okay, my apologies. So it's okay for tobacco companies to sponsor kid cartoons featuring Joe Camel and the Marlborough man as long as shops don't sell to minors.

So what is your stance?

Joe the Camel and the Marlboro man have been gone for decades. Alcohol and tobacco are banned from advertising at public events. Just throw pot in their with them. Gotta be age of majority to purchase or use etc, etc. Done deal.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You could open a pot shop next to my home and I won't start. Cripes, I know where to buy alcohol but I don't. So why would I start with marijuana?
Old age might have tempered you so your opinion is 'Why did I wait so long to start?'

I'm 48 and have never seen a TV ad for tobacco. I did get a booze flyer recently.

Want to see it?
How about the wreck it caused instead?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm 48 and have never seen a TV ad for tobacco. I did get a booze flyer recently.

Want to see it?

I'd seen the ads in documentaries and read about the history of tobacco advertising recently, so it's all fresh in my brain.

But I think it should be even stricter than it is now.