Liberals introduce PM Question Period

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Changes to question period could put the prime minister on the spot

Justin Trudeau's first week of question period as prime minister may be his only one, as the Liberals propose to change the format in which the prime minister is asked questions in the House of Commons.

The Liberals campaigned to introduce a "prime minister's question period" modelled in part on the current practice of the British House of Commons. This commitment was reiterated in question period on Monday.

"I have asked the government House leader [Dominic LeBlanc] to work with other parliamentarians," Trudeau said in response to a question from Liberal MP Larry Bagnell, "to reform question period so that all ministers, including the prime minister, can be held to greater account.

"I look forward to participating in prime minister's question period some time in the future."

Prime Minister's Questions, as the session is called in the United Kingdom, occurs every Wednesday when the British Parliament is sitting, and it's the one time that the British prime minister takes questions in the House of Commons.

During this session, the prime minister answers questions from both opposition and government MPs, who must submit them in writing beforehand. A random draw is held to decide which MPs get to pose their question.

Changes to question period could put the prime minister on the spot - Politics - CBC News

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Changes to question period could put the prime minister on the spot

Justin Trudeau's first week of question period as prime minister may be his only one, as the Liberals propose to change the format in which the prime minister is asked questions in the House of Commons.

The Liberals campaigned to introduce a "prime minister's question period" modelled in part on the current practice of the British House of Commons. This commitment was reiterated in question period on Monday.

"I have asked the government House leader [Dominic LeBlanc] to work with other parliamentarians," Trudeau said in response to a question from Liberal MP Larry Bagnell, "to reform question period so that all ministers, including the prime minister, can be held to greater account.

"I look forward to participating in prime minister's question period some time in the future."

Prime Minister's Questions, as the session is called in the United Kingdom, occurs every Wednesday when the British Parliament is sitting, and it's the one time that the British prime minister takes questions in the House of Commons.

During this session, the prime minister answers questions from both opposition and government MPs, who must submit them in writing beforehand. A random draw is held to decide which MPs get to pose their question.

Changes to question period could put the prime minister on the spot - Politics - CBC News

If you believe that Trudeau is not a racist you should try and join his church.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maybe people should give Justin room to breathe for a few months. He's already started to undertake many of his promises & he's going to make mistakes along the way. I didn't vote Liberal, but obviously many others did, so as a democracy we have to respect that. He's already doing better than I thought he would. My only concern is he might run out of money & may have to get advice from Harper.