The Founding Fathers Warned Us About the Powers of the Supreme Court

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
A bad law is one that doesn't withstand the constitutional test. Nothing more or nothing less. Any court can legally change any law, that's the whole point of courts. But at least they use a standard to measure with. Not the flavour of the day that you get with politics.

Somehow I think their judicial statements are going to be more wordy than that. They are lawyers after all.

Just because you have a group of like minded individuals doesn't mean the decisions they make are equitable, fair minded or not harmful.A yardstick is needed, one that is not emotionally biased or prejudicial.

There is a reason why this

is the symbol of justice.

I'm not so naive as to believe there is no influence on the courts, it is not a perfect system but it is as perfect as humanly possible. Most people believe, they truly believe, that what they are most passionate about is fair, rational and just. But there's always another opinion, another side, equally as passionate that disagrees. How does anyone decide which side is "right"? By applying the law. The law is cold, rational, logical. It is imbued with enough reasonableness and information of the human condition to make it palatable. And people that truly have no horse in the race can usually see that it is, indeed, fair and equitable. Whether they like it or not.
Two of those judges had already performed same sex marriage marriage ceremonies in their previous practice.......were they truly unbiased? ...shouldn't they have recused themselves? a lot of things can change a vote that is not unanimous.....

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Two of those judges had already performed same sex marriage marriage ceremonies in their previous practice.......were they truly unbiased? ...shouldn't they have recused themselves? a lot of things can change a vote that is not unanimous.....
Scalia worked for the Nixon administration. If bias is a legitimate reason shouldn't he recuse himself from any decision effecting government, particularly Republicans?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Again though, there is a yardstick called the constitution that the decisions are measured against. Juries are expected to do this all the time, and the general consensus is that they do a very good job with it. And these are laymen, not learned about the law.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
and if they didn't, or couldn't, you could very well end up with "tyranny of the majority".

Would you like slavery made legal again because "the majority want it"?

Is majority rule always so tyrannical?

And as was pointed out slavery did not end in the SJC... and what if they ruled after the Civil War that slavery was legal and the southern states have the right to own slaves?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
But we do wonder Where was all this “five unelected judges” chatter when they handed down Citizens United?
The Dems went nuts when that decision came down.
Have the 4 politicians on the court, Breyer, Sotomayor, Ginsburg, Kagan, ever voted differently from each other?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If justice is blind then why are liberals pressuring Ginsberg to step down? She is a liberal judge. They are doing it because she is very old and may kick the bucket if the next President is a Republican and they want Obama to appoint another liberal judge who will vote that way each time.

You guys need to get a new utopian ammendment proposed.

Great idea!

Whose Utopia?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If justice is blind then why are liberals pressuring Ginsberg to step down? She is a liberal judge. They are doing it because she is very old and may kick the bucket if the next President is a Republican and they want Obama to appoint another liberal judge who will vote that way each time.

Great idea!

Whose Utopia?
The right. Amendment 41 - all Supreme Court decisions are subject to veto by right-leaning guys on the internet.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Someone, a provincial judge actually, told me that justice not only has to be just and fair but also have the "appearance" of being fair for the public to trust it....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The right. Amendment 41 - all Supreme Court decisions are subject to veto by right-leaning guys on the internet.

Awesome! I'm digging that.

But what if we want things like gay marriage to stay in place? Because I am behind that SJC decision.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Because politics, not just politics, but partisan politics is running amok. That's the sh!t that needs to be reigned in. If that gets reigned in, and yeah I do understand that's one mother of a big if, but if it were then all these other problems you're talking about? Poof, in a puff of smoke.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's been like that since Washington got hit in the head with an apple. Presidents appointing their chosen SCJ's is nothing new.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes. They have the authority to interpret the Constitution. Therefore their interpretation is authoritative.

Therein rests my beef.

"Yada yada it's unconstitutional... Dinner's ready! LAtta!

The "checks and balances" on the Court are ultimately that they have no way of enforcing their rulings.

That answered a question I was going to ask. You shaman?