U.S. Senate fails to override Obama's Keystone XL veto

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Better luck next prez.

U.S. Senate fails to override Obama's Keystone XL veto

Republicans have failed to muster enough votes to overrule U.S. President Barack Obama's recent veto of a bill that would have approved the Keystone XL pipeline.

A vote that would have overridden Obama's recent veto lost 62-37 on Wednesday. The move was not a surprise — proponents of the bill had telegraphed in advance that they doubted they had the two-thirds majority (66 votes) that would have overruled his decision.

"If we don't win the battle today, we will win the war because we will find another bill to attach this pipeline to," said North Dakota Republican Senator John Hoeven, the chief sponsor of the bill that would have effectively taken the decision on the pipeline out of the president's hands.

The $8 billion, 1,800-kilometre pipeline, proposed by the TransCanada Corporation, would bring 800,000 barrels of Canadian oil to refineries on the U.S. Gulf Coast every day. It is proving to be one of the major political footballs of the year leading up to the 2016 presidential election, when there will be someone new elected to the White House.

The project's backers say it will create jobs and bolster American energy self-sufficiency, while opponents have largely rallied against Keystone based on environmental grounds.

"Senate Republicans have shown just how out of touch they are with the priorities of American families with their repeated attempts to force approval of the Keystone XL tarsands pipeline," the Sierra Club's executive director Michael Brune said. "The decision to deny this dangerous project belongs to President Obama alone, and we are confident he has all he needs to reject it once and for all."

For his part, Obama has said all along that the bill circumvented the well-established process for approving cross-border pipelines, which must be determined to be in the national interest.

The Keystone XL bill was only the third time in his presidency that he has vetoed a bill.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/business/u-s-senate-fails-to-override-obama-s-keystone-xl-veto-1.2981780

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"The project's backers say it will create jobs and bolster American energy self-sufficiency,"

Which is, of course, utter BS since all of it was destined for export, just like it would do nothing for Canadian energy self sufficiency. Sheeple are so susceptible to capitalist buzz words, they'll believe any BS thrown at them by their "higher ups".

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Will the oil stay in the ground or will it go to places like China?
My preference would be that it stays where it is. All China would do with it is make it into mega tonnes of plastic crap and sent it back to us to make an ever bigger mess than the oil sands fiasco already is.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
My preference would be that it stays where it is. All China would do with it is make it into mega tonnes of plastic crap and sent it back to us to make an ever bigger mess than the oil sands fiasco already is.

The Chinese have built a major refining complex in Pudong near Shanghai. I bet a lot of the oil ends up there for refining according to the worst environmental practices in the world.

You can be damn sure it ain't gonna stay in the ground. We will sell it to whomever wants to pay for it.

I agree.

For sale to the highest bidder. It would be nice to send both oil and NG to Europe so as to give putin a little kick in the ballz.

Bloody damn right. But according to my understanding the Euros won't take the oil.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Bloody damn right. But according to my understanding the Euros won't take the oil.
Why would they want that crap. The only way to get rid of it is to sell it at bargain basement prices to a third world country that can't afford the real thing.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Why would they want that crap. The only way to get rid of it is to sell it at bargain basement prices to a third world country that can't afford the real thing.
All those Burlington Northern tanker cars transporting Canadian bitumen across the American plains must be a figment of my imagination .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
All those Burlington Northern tanker cars transporting Canadian bitumen across the American plains must be a figment of my imagination .
The US is an empire fast tracking it way down the tubes to being a third world country, just like Canada. What once made us first world were manufacturing jobs. Now we are just shipping raw resources to other countries to do the manufacturing. We have massive unemployment because of it. Who is going to buy this crap we are getting from China and Bangladesh when unemployment is rising still. ? Oh, our great financial wizards didn't think that far ahead. Increase profits at the cost of jobs is a formula for disaster and it's heading our way.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The US is an empire fast tracking it way down the tubes to being a third world country, just like Canada. What once made us first world were manufacturing jobs. Now we are just shipping raw resources to other countries to do the manufacturing. We have massive unemployment because of it. Who is going to buy this crap we are getting from China and Bangladesh when unemployment is rising still. ? Oh, our great financial wizards didn't think that far ahead. Increase profits at the cost of jobs is a formula for disaster and it's heading our way.
Well that is what you want isn't it ? I mean all that useless resource extraction and those ugly manufacturing plants
just cause a wasteland anyway .

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

China is probably the only country with the refineries and low environmental standards who will take it. But China is in the driver's seat on price.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

Jobs in manufacturing indeed. We lost sight of the real reason to have a country...for the people.