Makayla Has Passed Away - girl who refused chemo for leukemia

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
With "irreversible damage to her heart and major organs", Makayla would likely have been condemned to the grace of ODSP - and all the griping that comes with it from the "my tax dollars" sect.

My wife wouldn't even go through chemo a second time. It's one of those things one has to experience to be expert

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
One paper is reporting:

Makayla Sault, the Ojibwa girl who refused chemotherapy last year in favour of indigenous medicine, died on Monday, with her parents reportedly blaming modern treatment for their daughter’s death.
She was 11 years old.
The Two Row Times reported that the New Credit girl suffered a stroke Sunday morning. In a statement to the paper, her family said: “Chemotherapy did irreversible damage to her heart and major organs. This was the cause of the stroke.”

Aboriginal girl with leukemia dies after refusing chemo | Toronto Star

They wouldn't want to take any blame or responsibility for themselves.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You know better?

I would never expect them to say she died of cancer because she stopped chemo. Just like the evil white men said... She has a 75% chance to beat this, if she stops chemo she has a 0% chance. Those white men are just so evil and the tribes are once again showing us wicked how wrong we are.

You know better?

And yes... I can confidently say I know better than those that used her.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What did I make up big mouth?
That I agreed with her decision.

What's wrong Cliffy? The shaman failed... the tribe failed... and now you're POed?

and you just made that up based on what?

Anyone with a brain knew they would fail. The Doctors were all right... the tribe was wrong. Proud?
Life is not black and white. "judge not lest ye shall be judged."

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That I agreed with her decision.

and you just made that up based on what?

Life is not black and white. "judge not lest ye shall be judged."

Look at your posts in the other thread. That is why I put it up there.

You said Cannabis Oil is the best cure for cancer for crying out loud.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
they can't know what caused the stroke. They can't know what further chemo would have done to her. and we can't know either.

Well, I will eagerly await the autopsy report before taking any blame off them. Of course, my blame doesn't really matter. Bottom line is their daughter is dead most likely because they refused treatment. But blaming modern medicine probably makes them feel better and I guess there is something in that. But I see this death as entirely preventable (barring any revelations to the contrary from the autopsy report).

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well, I will eagerly await the autopsy report before taking any blame off them. Of course, my blame doesn't really matter. Bottom line is their daughter is dead most likely because they refused treatment. But blaming modern medicine probably makes them feel better and I guess there is something in that. But I see this death as entirely preventable (barring any revelations to the contrary from the autopsy report).

Don't hold your breath Ski.

They will never admit they are wrong and because they are first nations little criticism will come their way. We can only look on and sadly shake our heads.

She had a 75% chance... now they will bury her.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Here's some information on the cancers that are caused by chemotherapy and radiation(interestingly radiation treatment is one of the causes of Makayla's type of cancer):

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002043-pdf.pdf

This death by this cancer...what about her eventual death due to cancers that were caused by the treatment of her first cancer, had she continued with treatement?

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
This death by this cancer...what about her eventual death due to cancers that were caused by the treatment of her first cancer?

Unfortunatly cancer sucks. As it stands she is 100% dead from THIS cancer. If she had gotten a secondary cancer she would have had a N% shot of fighting it.

What your studies fails to account that the person may have been destined to get the secondary cancer anyways but is now actually alive to receive them. Previously, they would be dead and therefore unable to get a secondary cancer. Cancer sucks and from what I can tell, once you get it you are always fighting it.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
This death by this cancer...what about her eventual death due to cancers that were caused by the treatment of her first cancer, had she continued with treatement?
. . . and what if this page had been part of a natural treatment that was held back because it was called 'witch-craft' by the makers of the chemo machines, and nobody else?
Another 'weed' that is actually useful, what other plants got mislabeled by 'science'?

Dandelion Root - Alternative Cancer Treatments

As if anyone has a choice there....
Perhaps, if cancer cells like an acidic place and one that is low in 02 levels then boosting the ph of my drinking water a few times a year and getting lots of O2 into me is easy. (a night light that drips oxygen would be about the only effort needed). Not really needing society to change before I sake matter into my own hands, for pennies a year.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I for one feel like it's necessary to bow my head and respect that these people made a more difficult decision that any i have ever had to make, that i am not the man to judge whether or not they decided right, and to leave it at that.

some things are beyond our scope and should be left un-bickered about