Germany on course to miss 2020 climate targets

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
When Germany kicked off its journey toward a system harnessing energy from wind and sun back in 2000, the goal was to protect the environment and build out climate-friendly power generation.

More than a decade later, Europe’s biggest economy is on course to miss its 2020 climate targets and greenhouse-gas emissions from power plants are virtually unchanged. Germany used coal, the dirtiest fuel, to generate 45 percent of its power last year, its highest level since 2007, as Chancellor Angela Merkel is phasing out nuclear in the wake of the Fukushima atomic accident in Japan three years ago.

The transition, dubbed the Energiewende, has so far added more than 100 billion euros ($134 billion) to the power bills of households, shop owners and small factories as renewable energy met a record 25 percent of demand last year. RWE AG, the nation’s biggest power producer, last year reported its first loss since 1949 as utility margins are getting squeezed because laws give green power priority to the grids.

more uh oh

Merkel’s Taste for Coal to Upset $130 Billion Green Drive - Bloomberg

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Wow, wow, really? I thought they were like the champs?

Only in their own minds. Which for the most part also happen to be the same minds that think Canada should lower its economy to meet our targets which are apparently carved in stone while others are more like lines in desert sand.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Bear, I remember you saying some time back that the mods used to give you warnings when you posted video or links to video. Back then it was a bandwidth issue, today that would be called being ahead of your time and that same trend is used as the best argument tool around. You might want to use that phrase 'old habits die hard' as it wasn't a Christian Nun joke that I am aware of. (would the traditional costume be very similar to Muslim women that are 'faithful to God'

They are, the reason coal consumption is up is because they shut down nuclear power right after Japan went critical. Coal dust will make you an old man at 35, radioactive dust will will make you dead when you come out of the womb.
Germany to shut down 12 power plants – German Energy Transition

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Bear, I remember you saying some time back that the mods used to give you warnings when you posted video or links to video. Back then it was a bandwidth issue, today that would be called being ahead of your time and that same trend is used as the best argument tool around. You might want to use that phrase 'old habits die hard' as it wasn't a Christian Nun joke that I am aware of. (would the traditional costume be very similar to Muslim women that are 'faithful to God'

They are, the reason coal consumption is up is because they shut down nuclear power right after Japan went critical. Coal dust will make you an old man at 35, radioactive dust will will make you dead when you come out of the womb.
Germany to shut down 12 power plants – German Energy Transition

So if coal is OK for Germany why is it not Ok for Canada? Especially since our coal is so much cleaner than theirs.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Who said I objected to coal. Even if it burned not as clean it is a local commodity and if defects are there then more time and money is spend in repairing that defect. Last I read about coal is about how much the US imported from South America so it burns cleaner. I would think the real story is money is sent to the same arm os the business that runs both ends and the North American production is scaled back both as a control devive and it creates employment in South America and the influence that comes with running the same company town that runs in America, only cheaper as the safety issues are buries rather than being fixed.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Only in their own minds. Which for the most part also happen to be the same minds that think Canada should lower its economy to meet our targets which are apparently carved in stone while others are more like lines in desert sand.

Canadian targets "carved in stone"? That's heelarious given Harper Conservatives complete fail in that regard. The German target was a 40% reduction of its 1990 level; Harper watered down Canadian commitments, multiple times now... to a 17% reduction of the 2005 level. Of course, Harper Conservatives have done diddly squat towards even attempting to meet that watered down "commitment"! As it stands, the OPs reference speaks to a projection for Germany realizing a 33% reduction of that 1990 level.

as it stands today, as of a few days ago, the German government issued an update report/intent towards meeting that original 2020 40% reduction target... by working to reduce coal-fired electricity production with a shift to natural gas ala Russian supply. Russian isolation/sanctions... uhhh, not so much!