Abortion -The poll is not based upon Religious belief - It is based ethics

Abotion

• Total voters

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Re: Abortion -Canada as it stands has no restrictions on abortion. None. Yet the majo

You don't pay anything. That is the dumbest argument.. You pay taxes. Once paid, it is not your money (not that it ever was in the first place. It was only on loan to you by the bankers.)

Ummmmmm. You're wrong.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Re: Abortion -Canada as it stands has no restrictions on abortion. None. Yet the majo

Wrong!!
The province does not pay for dental services or dentures and will only pay for a select number of acupuncture treatments usually given by a poorly trained technician at the hospital
So don't try that bullshyte with me....I've been there...

Lol, what part of that confused you?

"You have a whole host of comprehensive medical services available to you through your provincial insurance."

I never claimed that they covered anything and everything.

I wish that dental care was covered, but that would be a massive new government expenditure.

Covering abortions is a relatively very tiny cost to the government, and leads to significant savings overall.

As I stated it is an ethics question.
You support very late term abortions?
Sex selective abortions?
Would you also support crowning abortions as is practiced in China?

No, it is a stupid question.

Very late term abortions are not practiced in Canada.

Sex selective abortions can't be legislated.

This is all just meant to stir up anger for political gain.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Tiny cost? Since when is surgery of any type cheap?

Abortions cost anywhere from $500-$1000. Generally they are cheaper if done in a clinic and closer to the $1000 cost if done in a hospital.

Given the number of people who actually get an abortion, the cost to our healthcare system to cover abortions is relatively very small.

It is estimated that about 75 million is spent on abortions each year in Canada. By comparison, almost 13 billion dollars are spent each year on dental care.

So you can see how covering abortions is a lot more feasible than something like dental care.

Funding | Abortion in Canada

http://www.med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/Dental/Dental_Health_Services_in_Canada_June_2010.pdf

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
You guys do realize that internet forum polls amount to crap and don't actually reflect any realistic picture of public opinion?

The flaw in this poll is that it is made public and there will be some people, especially with a touchy subject as this, who will refuse to post any choice on the poll because they don't like to publicly voice their choices, thereby forcing a skewed perspective and thus, the poll is even more invalid.

Many people still don't like publicly stating who they voted for in an election, which in this day in age has no major consequences compared to a few decades ago, they will most likely not want to publicly state their view on this subject because it's a much hotter button pusher.

Me personally, I voted anyways (not that it will make any difference) simply because I don't give two sweet swamp turds who knows my views or what they think of it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I pay for my own dental care/ dentures which are needed to eat, I pay for my own acupuncture which is better for pain than bloody pills...and the only thing I get is a tax deduction.....
I don't see why people couldn't pay for their own damned abortion if not medically needed to save their life!

do you think people with lung cancer (whom are smokers,)should pay for all of their own medical care, as 'they' made
a decision to smoke, knowing that it causes lung cancer.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Abortion
Canada as it stands has no restrictions on abortion. None. Yet the majority of Canadians support some restrictions on abortion.

Indeed I was quite surprised when I found out about that. I do have a problem with late term abortions as the kid could live most of the time. I have a cousin who was born at 6 months (give or take a week) and lived. Now, if someone were to have a abortion at that stage what would they do? Pull the kid out and put them on the table to die? Seems problematic.

Though from what Im told while there are no restrictions on late term abortions, good luck finding a doctor who will perform it past a certain point. I imagine that changes from doctor to doctor though.

You guys do realize that internet forum polls amount to crap and don't actually reflect any realistic picture of public opinion?

Even if it did it wouldn't matter. The point of it seems to be to spark debate. While the abortion debate has been had here many times here I don't think it has with this particular twist yet.

do you think people with lung cancer (whom are smokers,)should pay for all of their own medical care, as 'they' made

They have in a way through the heavy taxes on cigarettes. At least i hope thats where that extra money goes.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Abortions cost anywhere from $500-$1000. Generally they are cheaper if done in a clinic and closer to the $1000 cost if done in a hospital.

Given the number of people who actually get an abortion, the cost to our healthcare system to cover abortions is relatively very small.

It is estimated that about 75 million is spent on abortions each year in Canada. By comparison, almost 13 billion dollars are spent each year on dental care.

So you can see how covering abortions is a lot more feasible than something like dental care.

Funding | Abortion in Canada

http://www.med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/Dental/Dental_Health_Services_in_Canada_June_2010.pdf
If it all started and ended there things might seem cheap but it doesn't.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Though from what Im told while there are no restrictions on late term abortions, good luck finding a doctor who will perform it past a certain point. I imagine that changes from doctor to doctor though.

It is a medical issue, and as such, it is dealt with by doctors. Medical standards in Canada prevent abortion after 24 weeks, though getting an abortion after 20 weeks is extremely rare(less than 1% of abortions in Canada).

There are tons of medical things that would be wrong for a doctor to do. It would be wrong for a doctor to perform a gastric bypass surgery on a two year old. It would be wrong to do brain surgery on someone who doesn't need it. We don't need a specific law for all of these things though. They are covered under more general laws and rules regarding the proper practice of medicine.

If it all started and ended there things might seem cheap but it doesn't.

Huh? Please go on.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Late-term abortions (after 20 weeks) are not an issue in Canada. According to Statistics Canada, late-term abortions represent 0.4% of abortions and are only performed if the foetus is not viable or the mother's life is in peril or both.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It is a medical issue.
Huh? Please go on.

So is mental health but is anyone trying to kill you for your mother's and society's alleged best interests?

Huh. Is that a mantra? In 2010 there were Almost 29,000 abortions in ON at $1600 a pop that's $70,545,600 Ontario taxpayers spent . That doesn't include pre and post costs which can be on going for the life of the woman.

How many cavities will that fill?

Gee whiz, I almost forgot the losses to future GDP of each murdered human and the money needed to be added to the kitty for that person when they are born.

Late-term abortions (after 20 weeks) are not an issue in Canada. According to Statistics Canada, late-term abortions represent 0.4% of abortions and are only performed if the foetus is not viable or the mother's life is in peril or both.

Which is a feasible reason to permit them.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
So is mental health but is anyone trying to kill you for your mother's and society's alleged best interests?

I like how you actually changed my comment in your quote to make it fit your game.

"It is a medical issue, and as such, it is dealt with by doctors."

There is no period after "It is a medical issue" because that is not the end of the sentence.

Anyways, this still doesn't make any sense. Yes, mental health is also a medical issue. What does that have to do with killing me?

Huh. Is that a mantra? In 2010 there were Almost 29,000 abortions in ON at $1600 a pop that's $70,545,600 Ontario taxpayers spent . That doesn't include pre and post costs which can be on going for the life of the woman.

How many cavities will that fill?

Where exactly are you getting the 1600 dollar figure from?

The numbers I have put the average cost more around 800, but regardless, 35 or 70 million, out of a health spending budget of almost 50 billion, it is not a significant factor. The provision of safe abortions prevents much more serious and costly complications from people resorting to unsafe methods.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

As I stated it is an ethics question.
You support very late term abortions?
Sex selective abortions?
Would you also support crowning abortions as is practiced in China?
It boils down to it's really none of anyone's business. If you ask me if we're having one because of sex selection my answer is "No. And what business is is it of yours that I have to explain it? Who do you think you are, my mother? Worry about your own frickin life." :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like how you actually changed my comment in your quote to make it fit your game.

"It is a medical issue, and as such, it is dealt with by doctors."

There is no period after "It is a medical issue" because that is not the end of the sentence.

Anyways, this still doesn't make any sense. Yes, mental health is also a medical issue. What does that have to do with killing me?

Where exactly are you getting the 1600 dollar figure from?

The numbers I have put the average cost more around 800, but regardless, 35 or 70 million, out of a health spending budget of almost 50 billion, it is not a significant factor. The provision of safe abortions prevents much more serious and costly complications from people resorting to unsafe methods.
I didn't get it from the first site I saw on Google like you did. That's where it came from. If you think $3-$5 a head is a justifiable cost you are on glue. Give the taxpayer who funds OHIP the choice of where their $3-$5± were spent in the budget, how long before fees were introduced?

The unsafe practises is bullsh-t. Unprotected sex kills more than any abortion infection could fester up.

Have you considered the costs beyond the surgery? How many end up with post procedural costs that are overlooked?

What does it cost a society when building for the future?
The"unsafe methods" argument is malarky.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I didn't get it from the first site I saw on Google like you did. That's where it came from.

Maybe it is all the booze you seem to be drinking tonight, but didn't tell me where you got the number from.

If you think $3-$5 a head is a justifiable cost you are on glue. Give the taxpayer who funds OHIP the choice of where their $3-$5± were spent in the budget, how long before fees were introduced?

Have you considered the costs beyond the surgery? How many end up with post procedural costs that are overlooked?

What does it cost a society when building for the future?
The"unsafe methods" argument is malarky.

The unsafe alternatives that were being used were explicitly the reason why the law was introduced in the first place and why the SOC struck down limitations. That doesn't sound like "malarky" to me.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It came from The Alberta Gov f-ck face.

Maybe it is all the booze you seem to be drinking tonight, but didn't tell me where you got the number from.

The unsafe alternatives that were being used were explicitly the reason why the law was introduced in the first place and why the SOC struck down limitations. That doesn't sound like "malarky" to me.
What are the costs of STDs over "unsafe murder practises"?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

If that's the case then smokers should be exempt from paying taxes that go towards the UHC.

They pay just like everybody else and are entitled to the services they paid all their working life.

With that argument, everybody who eats unhealthy foods, does sports, works in hazardous jobs and everything else under the sun shouldn't be covered by the UHC..... They after all, had freely chose to pit themselves under those possible health risks.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

If that's the case then smokers should be exempt from paying taxes that go towards the UHC.

They pay just like everybody else and are entitled to the services they paid all their working life.

With that argument, everybody who eats unhealthy foods, does sports, works in hazardous jobs and everything else under the sun shouldn't be covered by the UHC..... They after all, had freely chose to pit themselves under those possible health risks.

in 1963 when the surgeon general made the announcement that smoking causes lung cancer, that put a
much different light on the situation.

my point is, that our medical insurance in this country covers many services, covering situations which we have put ourselves
at risk by entering into them, and that includes an abortion, so be it, we are well looked after., i'm
ok with that, this is a good country, i'm proud to be a canadian.