The Top 10 Atrocities of All Time

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
According to this list, yes.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that unintentionally spreading disease constitutes part of an atrocity. I think the element of intent is important for something to be an atrocity. It has been alleged that the US Army was responsible for the High Plains smallpox epidemic of 1837 through the intentional distribution of smallpox infected blankets to the Mandan. If that is true it would constitute an atrocity. But the spread of the black plague from Central Asia/East Asia to Europe doesn't constitute an atrocity imo.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Are we supposed to believe every blog on the internet?????
https://www.blogger.com/profile/08171356533232458827

I pulled it from a blog because it was the only public site I could find the list.

It's actually based on a plot graph from this book:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I happen to know that reliable numbers do not exist for the last century and that in every other period both inflation and deflation of those numbers was common exactly for the same reason it is today, to fit political agendas. So I'm saying I don't believe a word of it.

Unless of course it showed that the bankers were responsible.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There's been one slight omission- the concentration camps in Germany and Poland 1941-45, not just for the numbers but also the cruelty.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
There's been one slight omission- the concentration camps in Germany and Poland 1941-45, not just for the numbers but also the cruelty.

Holocaust is included in the WW2 numbers, but yes, there is a very reasonable argument for the nature of the harm caused rather than just the metric.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
How do you know that?

Easy, we do not even know when or where civilization started, and we can't ever know that the world now represents the highest level of civilization, we do not know the cataclysmic past of this planet, we have regularly suppressed archeological evidence by burning and dumping artifacts that do not fit the established paradigm. In summary, history is a mystery and that is by design. As example, and just one, the histories of North America refuse to teach about the mound builders of this continents earliest yet identified inhabitants,these mounts in the early eighteen hundreds numbered in the thousands, artifacts recovered included, copper and iron tools, script similar to, Sumerian, none of it part of popular histories. The total destruction of flora and fauna of North America at around, 12,500 BC by cometary entry to the biosphere, avoided like the plaque. So in summary of the sciences history is the most unreliable and misused to base any conclusions on especially one so insane as the OP presents. No figures whatever exist to support his claims and to make such claims he must be totally and willfully ignoring the fact of the dismal state of recorded reliable human history. We have no idea of ancient population numbers which could with ease have been much higher than they are today, as was the case with the big reptiles.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

I like estimates. The bank used to make me do a revenue estimate for my business every year. Just write down some numbers about 15% higher than the year before and they were happy.
Tax man likes estimates as well. Just last month they sent me an estimated tax bill for a boat I got for free. Know where they got their numbers from? Looked in the used boat trader and picked the asking price for a boat that size.