Time to Abolish Cdn Human Rights Commission, They Hate Debate

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If anything I would say he hurts this side of the argument. Sure, he can rile certain people up, but his constant lies by omission, misrepresentations, and alarmist statements make anyone who actually knows anything about the subject think he side is weak since he has to resort to that stuff.

Intelligent people can disagree, but he does not conduct himself as someone trying to make an intelligent argument.

The fact is that the human rights tribunals and commissions have very difficult issues to deal with. You seem to think everything is black and white, but most of the time the issues brought before them involve situations where people's rights come into conflict. It is very difficult to sort out these issues where one person acting within their rights infringes on another persons ability to act within their rights.

When it comes top a basic, fundamental right such as freedom of the press to print material extremely relevant to an important news item, there can be no argument, there is simply those that understand liberty, and those who do not.

THAT is black and white, and **** the enemies of freedom.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
My problem with Levant has nothing to do with his politics. It is his tactics.

Do you really think he achieved anything by doing that interview? What changed because of it?

Tactics are not relevant- if we hauled everyone we did not like to the HRC no one would be at work.

I dislike Levant, but he took on what the rest of the 5th Estate refused to do. Publish those cartoons.
The idiot in Calgary did a ton of backtracking on this one after it hit the news as the case proceeded.
No not Levant
Calgary Imam defends comments comparing Canada Muslims to Jews in Nazi Germany | Calgary | News | Calgary Sun
This idiot.

Comparing the plight of Jews in pre-Second World War Nazi Germany with that of Muslims in today’s Canada is “hurtful,” a local Jewish leader said Tuesday.

But a day after telling a TV reporter Ottawa’s new policy banning face veils at citizenship ceremonies adds to a climate of hostility similar to what Jews faced in 1930s Germany, Imam Syed Soharwardy didn’t back down from those comments.

“What is happening across North America is quite alarming because there are people who create hate against Muslims and then the government gives them ammunition,” said Soharwardy, president of the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada.

“This is what started hate against Jews ... there is no comparison to the suffering of the Jews but it helps

Canadian Human Rights Commission Goes After Free Speech

Adam Daifallah :: Gatestone Institute

Adam Daifallah

Adam Daifallah is a Partner at HATLEY Strategy Advisors, a public affairs firm in Montreal, Canada. Before joining HATLEY, he practiced law at the Montreal office of Ogilvy Renault LLP. Previous to his legal career, he sat on the editorial board of Canada's National Post and was Washington correspondent of The New York Sun. He is co-author of two books on Canadian politics. In addition to his responsibilities at HATLEY, Daifallah is an instructor at McGill University's Department of North American Studies, a fellow of the Montreal Economic Institute and a contributor to the National Post.

Adam is a law graduate from Université Laval, has a BA (honours) in history and political studies from Queen's University and was a Sauvé
Scholar at McGill University. He is a member of the Quebec Bar.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If anything I would say he hurts this side of the argument. Sure, he can rile certain people up, but his constant lies by omission, misrepresentations, and alarmist statements make anyone who actually knows anything about the subject think he side is weak since he has to resort to that stuff.

Intelligent people can disagree, but he does not conduct himself as someone trying to make an intelligent argument.

The fact is that the human rights tribunals and commissions have very difficult issues to deal with. You seem to think everything is black and white, but most of the time the issues brought before them involve situations where people's rights come into conflict. It is very difficult to sort out these issues where one person acting within their rights infringes on another persons ability to act within their rights.

I find that Ezra spend half an hour to put a point across that should take about five minutes to do...long winded he is....
But you do the exact same thing post after post dodging and deflecting and repeating the same liberal mantra!

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I find that Ezra spend half an hour to put a point across that should take about five minutes to do...long winded he is....
But you do the exact same thing post after post dodging and deflecting and repeating the same liberal mantra!

This is funny coming from you, since I just asked you clearly what you think I am dodging or avoiding in this thread, and you well, avoided answering.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
When it comes top a basic, fundamental right such as freedom of the press to print material extremely relevant to an important news item, there can be no argument, there is simply those that understand liberty, and those who do not.

THAT is black and white, and **** the enemies of freedom.

He won that case, so it would appear that both of you are on the same page.

It is hard to have much sympathy for him in this case though. He clearly didn't publish the cartoons out of any journalistic need. He published it to get attention for his failing magazine. He did the exact same thing to get attention when his TV show came out.

It was a very sensitive issue at the time. People were dying over it. As much as you want to make some ideological point, putting other people at risk for something like this is just stupid and selfish. Anyone who wanted to see the cartoons could easily find them on the internet anyways, so he added nothing to people's understanding of the situation.

Tactics are not relevant-

Tactics are certainly relevant to me in my assessment of someone.

There are lots of people that I disagree with, but I still respect their intelligence and the way that they express their ideas.

I have 0 respect for how Levant expresses himself. He is just a stream of lies, misrepresentations, and sensationalism to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

It is hard to have much sympathy for him in this case though. He clearly didn't publish the cartoons out of any journalistic need. He published it to get attention for his failing magazine. He did the exact same thing to get attention when his TV show came out.

It was a very sensitive issue at the time. People were dying over it. As much as you want to make some ideological point, putting other people at risk for something like this is just stupid and selfish. Anyone who wanted to see the cartoons could easily find them on the internet anyways, so he added nothing to people's understanding of the situation.

There are lots of people that I disagree with, but I still respect their intelligence and the way that they express their ideas.

I have 0 respect for how Levant expresses himself. He just a stream of lies, misrepresentations, and sensationalism to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Ever wonder why not one Canadian newspaper published these?
They wrote volumes on the repercussions, but nary a photo.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Then explain why the person making the complaint gets free lawyers while the poor bugger defending himself must foot his entire legal bill himself.
OF course I have a problem with an appointed board with a mission that gets to be judge jury and executioner.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Seeing as no one but I read Colpy's link here ya go.
Some selections
Chris Selley: Rights tribunal says immigrant who failed engineering exam three times was discriminated against | National Post

Yep- How would you like to work in a tall building he worked on, or drive over a bridge

It’s a clear and persistent problem: When we welcome immigrant professionals without fully assessing their skills or potential, everybody can wind up losing. Still. We obviously need professional standards for engineers. If Mr. Mihaly can’t or won’t meet them, there’s not much we can do about it. Right?

Ah, but this is Canada, and Mr. Mihaly has clearly been paying attention. So in 2008, he appealed to the Alberta Human Rights Commission that he was being discriminated against, illegally, on the basis of where he’s from. And on Feb. 6, in a bewildering decision, tribunal chairman Moosa Jiwaji agreed. Not only must APEGGA pay $10,000 in damages to Mr. Mihaly, he ordered, it must within three months “establish a committee … to specifically explore and investigate options to appropriately and individually assess [his] qualifications … with a view to correcting any perceived academic deficiencies.” Mr. Jiwaji suggests offering Mr. Mihaly “exemptions” from the NPPE or “the Fundamentals of Engineering exam” — hey, they’re only fundamentals — perhaps “combined with the implementation of a different method of assessment.” APEGGA is furthermore to “match Mr. Mihaly with a mentor,” provide “networking” opportunities and help him improve his English.

It’s nonsense. Firstly, APEGGA protested, the Alberta Human Rights Act bars discrimination against people according to their place of origin, not university degrees. And in any event, APEGGA argued, it didn’t judge Mr. Mihaly according to where he’s from but based on the university programs on his résumé. His résumé would have been treated exactly the same had he been from Russia or Poland or the moon.

Nice and sound
And in Neiznnaski v. University of Toronto, an Ontario Board of Inquiry determined that while people are “ostensibly … discriminated against on the basis of their foreign credentials,” because people tend to go to school where they’re from, “the effect often is to exclude groups linked to their place of origin, race, colour or ethnic origin.”

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Then explain why the person making the complaint gets free lawyers while the poor bugger defending himself must foot his entire legal bill himself.
OF course I have a problem with an appointed board with a mission that gets to be judge jury and executioner.

Well, they are really just the judge, and judges in any court are appointed.

They provide support for people filing claims because we know that financial concerns are very often a barrier for people to assert their rights. I do think it could be improved if they provided more support to the respondents though.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
"Time to Abolish Cdn Human Rights Commission, They Hate Debate"

Fine by me. Maybe whiny people will learn to grow skin then.
Best post yet sadly it will never happen . What ever happened to " sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me " ?
I had to remember that before grade one and repeated constantly throughout grade school .

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

They provide support for people filing claims because we know that financial concerns are very often a barrier for people to assert their rights. I do think it could be improved if they provided more support to the respondents though.

HRC's do not have to adhere to many laws. Were you aware of that?

The Slither returns- Going on another Red rampage.
Signed
Karma man.

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

I have 0 respect for how Levant expresses himself. He is just a stream of lies, misrepresentations, and sensationalism to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Actually at the time those cartoons were front page news all across Europe and North America . Funny only Sun News would publish those cartoons , the rest of our so called news media were scared of the Islamic backlash and bowed down to political correctness .
Not to save the Canadian populous from forming their own opinion but from fear of physical backlash .

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
And in any event, APEGGA argued, it didn’t judge Mr. Mihaly according to where he’s from but based on the university programs on his résumé. His résumé would have been treated exactly the same had he been from Russia or Poland or the moon.

Well, the crux of this case is that they did not believe this to be the case. He was told he had to take 3 additional exams because of the country that he was educated in, not based on the credentials of the program/school. He actually would have been treated differently if he was from Poland or Russia.

I can't pretend to know enough to say how things should be done in this field, but it is pretty hard to come up with any sort of reasonable opinion on this without addressing what the actual complaint and decision were about.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

How many small people ( business)have they pushed to or the brink of bankruptcy as they must pay their own legal fees.
How many just pay up as it is cheaper.
You are aware that each Prov has set fees for certain situations- ask a person if they are married during an interview, they do not get the job - 4 k if they file a complaint.
They are suffering from self interest - no cases- fewer cases- people lose jobs.
They are out out lunch on a number of rulings.
Others not so.

Oh yes, and that fellow from the AB HRC

Human rights judge under scrutiny for anti-immigration tweets after ruling in favour of Czech man who failed exam | National Post

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
How many small people ( business)have they pushed to or the brink of bankruptcy as they must pay their own legal fees.
How many just pay up as it is cheaper.
You are aware that each Prov has set fees for certain situations- ask a person if they are married during an interview, they do not get the job - 4 k if they file a complaint.
They are suffering from self interest - no cases- fewer cases- people lose jobs.
They are out out lunch on a number of rulings.
Others not so.

Oh yes, and that fellow from the AB HRC

Human rights judge under scrutiny for anti-immigration tweets after ruling in favour of Czech man who failed exam | National Post
That's outrageous Alberta is just like the U.N. appointing bigots to the Human Rights Commission .

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Actually at the time those cartoons were front page news all across Europe and North America . Funny only Sun News would publish those cartoons , the rest of our so called news media were scared of the Islamic backlash and bowed down to political correctness .
Not to save the Canadian populous from forming their own opinion but from fear of physical backlash .

Well, no. It was reprinted fairly widely in Europe, but major news outlets in Canada and the US wouldn't reprint it. I don't think even Sun Media printed them.

I think that at the time they were right not to reprint the cartoons. The cartoons were already out there for people to see if they wanted. Reprinting them really just fanned the flames of an issue that was actually costing people their lives.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

It cost him $100,000 to defeat an attack that was a blatant violation of his rights.

Do you have $100,000 to defend your rights??

It is called FREE speech, not speech for those that can afford it.

And Levant publish the cartoons for the very same reason every news outlet in the western world should have published them on their front page: to thumb their noses at the followers of a medieval murder cult, and to show solidarity in their belief in free speech.

Unfortunately, Levant was one of only a handful in the world that had the balls for it.