Ford siding with Trudeau on pot

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The streams have crossed!

Rob Ford talks about legalizing marijuana with U.S. radio hosts

Mayor Rob Ford spoke about legalizing marijuana with a D.C. radio show Thursday morning.

The hosts of Sports Junkies, Eric Bickel and John-Paul Flaim, were discussing legalization of recreational marijuana in America before Ford came on the show. They asked Ford about legalization in Canada.

“It’s not going to happen up here maybe down in the States but not up here,” said Ford saying the reason was because of the Conservative government.

“Why wouldn’t they decriminalize it and try to get revenue from it? But that’s a debate that’s been going on for years in Canada. We have medicinal marijuana so a lot of people who are sick use it but they won’t legalize it or decriminalize.”

TheStar

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Oh, I thought you were talking about the OP. No, he has just talked a lot about legalizing weed.

I don't think we would have to take much of a leap to guess what Justin would say about legalizing crack. It would be more interesting to hear the thoughts of a guy who has been so tied up in issues around crack use.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
It'd be fun to grill baby-t (Justine) on the issue

What do you think he would say?

It seems like a pretty straightforward issues for him.

With Ford, it is more fun. If he thinks it should be illegal, then why would he do it himself while in public office?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I don't imagine it's just Ford and Trudeau who think this. With Washington adn Colorado effectively legalizing it, the hole is in the dam.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
There isn't much he can say really... As he has provided some pseudo-support for legalizing pot, it would be difficult for him to say one drug is acceptable while another is unacceptable.

Chances are that the 'answer' would be a big steaming pile of political psycho-babble that we have come to expect from all politicians

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
There isn't much he can say really... As he has provided some pseudo-support for legalizing pot, it would be difficult for him to say one drug is acceptable while another is unacceptable.

Chances are that the 'answer' would be a big steaming pile of political psycho-babble that we have come to expect from all politicians

That is dumb. Not every substance is the same. Legalizing pot doesn't imply that you have to support legalizing all other drugs.

Weed has been shown to be pretty harmless, while crack is extremely addictive and takes a serious toll on your health.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In this case he makes sense it should be legalized. I will never use it and have no
interest in using it but like booze prohibition all the old nonsense about health and
other issues are repeated. Face it those who are going to use it are going to do it
regardless of risk. All these warnings are little more than scare tactics for the rest
of the population to react negatively

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What do you think he would say?

It seems like a pretty straightforward issues for him.

With Ford, it is more fun. If he thinks it should be illegal, then why would he do it himself while in public office?

Ford never said he thinks it should be illegal. He just stated that that is the way it is with a conservative government.

That is dumb. Not every substance is the same. Legalizing pot doesn't imply that you have to support legalizing all other drugs.

Weed has been shown to be pretty harmless, while crack is extremely addictive and takes a serious toll on your health.

Really all drugs should be legal to use. It would cut crime and make it so much easier to treat addiction problems. addiction is properly a mental issue, not a criminal one.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Yeah, in theory I guess I support legalization of all drugs--harm reduction and all that, social liberatarianism adn all that. In practice, I can't bring myself to accept that. Meth will kill you in a few years, and even if you crawl out of that hole you will never be the same again. I've seen it. I just can't see my way clear to accepting legalization of crack and meth.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yeah, in theory I guess I support legalization of all drugs--harm reduction and all that, social liberatarianism adn all that. In practice, I can't bring myself to accept that. Meth will kill you in a few years, and even if you crawl out of that hole you will never be the same again. I've seen it. I just can't see my way clear to accepting legalization of crack and meth.

Well consider that being illegal has not stopped their use.