Stand Your Ground Laws

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
To the best of my knowledge, none of the cops or others who have gunned down unarmed people in the last 10 years (and there have been many) has been assassinated either.

I am thinking of the Rodney King beating. But I hope I am wrong.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I'm a gunner in your mind, and I don't search out targets. I had enough of that in service.

Y'know, when you make up something in your head, then ascribe it to me (or Colpy) and argue against it, you're really just talking to yourself. And you don't need a computer to do that, you can just sit in the corner and mumble.

Saves power and electricity bills, too.

lol. You might not and I know Colply wouldn't but Zimmerman did.

lol again. Mumble mumble.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Zimmerman should have stayed home and watched the game and that boy would have went home and got drunk on skittle vodka and been happy. You gunners want to search out a target. Of course that is lawful for you to do.

Searching out targets???

The murder rate among licensed concealed carry civilians in the USA is ONE TENTH that of the population at large in the USA, and one third that of the Canadian population.

Kinda blows THAT idea out of the water, doesn't it??

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't understand. Have any of the cops who beat King been assassinated?

I was referring to the riots. The US has a huge race problem in my opinion.

Searching out targets???

The murder rate among licensed concealed carry civilians in the USA is ONE TENTH that of the population at large in the USA, and one third that of the Canadian population.

The Gun that he carried gave him the idea of protection to follow. As we have seen from testimony - he could not fight.
If he had waited this would not have happened.

If he did not have a gun he would not have followed.

Blows that out of the water. The gun made him, brave, no gave him a false sense bravery. A ffn idiot is what he is.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Gun that he carried gave him the idea of protection to follow. As we have seen from testimony - he could not fight.
If he had waited this would not have happened.

If he did not have a gun he would not have followed.

Blows that out of the water. The gun made him, brave, no gave him a false sense bravery. A ffn idiot is what he is.

Not at all.

What keeps getting missed here is that Zimmerman was RIGHT about Trayvon...........

Martin was a punk, and a violent one.

You are correct in one sense only........GZ may have been emboldened because he was carrying.......to which I ask

SO WHAT???

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."[ Thomas Jefferson

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not at all.

What keeps getting missed here is that Zimmerman was RIGHT about Trayvon...........

You are correct in one sense only........GZ may have been emboldened because he was carrying.......to which I ask

SO WHAT???

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."[ Thomas Jefferson
So What. No crime being committed.
So What. No need to wait for the Police.
So What. A man is dead.
So What?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So What. No crime being committed.
So What. No need to wait for the Police.
So What. A man is dead.
So What?

You, like all the other TM supporters, are making assumptions that fly in the face of the facts.

Zimmerman did not confront Martin, Martin returned to confront Zimmerman.

It is too bad Martin is dead, and I mean that sincerely.....but he brought it upon himself.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Always respect your opinion, damngrumpy (can I call you damn? Just kidding).

Have to disagree this time, though. As far as I'm concerned, if you are going about your lawful occasions (operative word is "lawful") and someone presents you with a threat, I believe you have a right to react violently in self-defence, up to deadly force where warranted.

Zimmerman was being a fool and an ***. But his conduct, as best we know from the evidence presented, was lawful.
Vigilantism is lawful? Interesting.

Searching out targets???
What was Zimmerman doing then if he wasn't looking for "suspicious" people? Paddling his pickle to the tune of I Touch Myself by the Divinyls? Reading Dostoyevski? Playing poker with his iPhone?

Ah, no, it doesn't.

Not at all.

Looking at houses and wandering home while looking high or drunk is just that. Except for being intoxicated in a public place (a misdemeanor), Martin wasn't even causing mischief (also a misdemeanor). But how would Zimmerman know Martin's history at the time? Is Zimmerman a clairvoyant?

I agree but how would Zimmerman know about Martin's past at the time?

SO WHAT???
Yeah, no-one ever felt the false courage because of packing and shot someone unnecessarily.

It is too bad Martin is dead, and I mean that sincerely.....but he brought it upon himself.
Not this time. He likely would have went home and got high(er) if Zimmerman had not been sitting in his truck and playing wannabe neighborhood hero. He had no official capacity to do that.

If it were me, I'd have told him to gfh and went about my business. If he approached me, I'd have stayed there and called his bluff. Which is what this thread is about; standing your ground.

Anyway, in some cases, I think standing your ground is pretty good advice. Not so in other cases. I like what T-bones said about standing your ground IF there's no reasonable escape.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Vigilantism is lawful? Interesting.
Good tactic. If you can't find a specific crime, use a very broad, general term that is distasteful, and pretend it's a crime.

No, "vigilantism" isn't unlawful. Neither is racism.

The Florida Code is on-line. You can search it for crimes Zimmerman committed. Until you find one, don't bother me with made-up crap, mmm-kay?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Since the stand your ground law was enacted in"05 violent crime has been reduced by 23%. Blacks use the stand your ground law at double the rate (30%) of their percentage (15%) of the Florida population. It's a terrible law because it benefits dark-skinned people.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
But I do not respect what he did as a fellow human being. No male within MY world would have made THAT call.

Do you know that for sure? Or do all the males in your world religiously subscribe to the belief that if you appeal to an assailant's good human nature they will be spared?

Maybe he would have come home to me bleeding, and a bit battered at worst, but he would NOT have taken the life of a 17 year old kid.

No, at worst George Zimmerman could have come home dead instead, because while we're playing the "what if" game, Trayvon Martin may well have been armed, or had bettered Zimmerman in fisticuffs, gotten him on the ground and kept beating him until he stopped breathing.

It bothers me that a 17 year old kid never got to make the choice to be a productive member of society because Zimmerman lawfully had a gun in possession and was not able to make an above-average judgement call.

One would assume it was within Martin's reach to choose not to escalate the situation.

I'm not sure would constitute an "above average judgement call" in your eyes. Would that have been not to go on patrol as a neighbourhood watch volunteer? Or, to use a term I've heard from retired LEO's, just said " FIDO", or F*** it, drive on? Or would it be the decision to use deadly force?

It's nice to be able to armchair quarterback and say "why didn't he just duke it out?". Which very few people, other than thugs and those who religiously practice at the gym are prepared to do competently, and it would be nice to maintain a 20 year old body for life.

Assuming George Zimmerman has been trained in the use of firearms for defense, the time between recognition of a threat and to react to it can be the blink of an eye, the luxury of time to make a judgment call at that point is long past.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You, like all the other TM supporters, are making assumptions that fly in the face of the facts.

Zimmerman did not confront Martin, Martin returned to confront Zimmerman.

This is not about whether he was guilty or innocent. He was found Innocent. I agree with the ruling.
This is about the dumbass being a so called real man with a gun and he should have waited.
There was no need to follow. None, doing so was the first step in the chain. He made that decision as he had a gun. It is clear he cannot handle himself without a gun.

I am sure you have met that type before.

A tree stump is considered a sharp object to them.

Good tactic. If you can't find a specific crime, use a very broad, general term that is distasteful, and pretend it's a crime.

No, "vigilantism" isn't unlawful. Neither is racism.

The Florida Code is on-line. You can search it for crimes Zimmerman committed. Until you find one, don't bother me with made-up crap, mmm-kay?

He was not part of Neighborhood Watch.

What was he doing?

Out for a stroll does not cut the mustard.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This is not about whether he was guilty or innocent. He was found Innocent. I agree with the ruling.
This is about the dumbass being a so called real man with a gun and he should have waited.
There was no need to follow. None, doing so was the first step in the chain. He made that decision as he had a gun. It is clear he cannot handle himself without a gun.

I am sure you have met that type before.

A tree stump is considered a sharp object to them.

He was not part of Neighborhood Watch.

What was he doing?

Out for a stroll does not cut the mustard.
He was going about his lawful occasions. That's a presumption. I encourage you to rebut that presumption, but with the law, not your personal feelings about what people should and should not do.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He was going about his lawful occasions. That's a presumption. I encourage you to rebut that presumption, but with the law, not your personal feelings about what people should and should not do.

I knew what the law was.

But Zimmermans actions did precipitate the fatality.

What illegal activity did Martin commit prior to Zimmerman following him? None that I am aware of.

Zimmerman was hunting - looking for illegal activities, call it what you will. But it is all legal as he did not initiate the assault.
The gun gave him a set of cojones.

He destroyed 2 families and many people’s lives.

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Based on the prior history of break-ins and whatnot, even if George was just driving to the store (as he was) and he saw 'someone suspicious', in the dark and rainy night, and being an self-appointed cowboy or not, he see's this person, (race, age, musical taste or stoner is not important, nor is it mentioned) and decided to act. After that came a series of crappy decisions by both these dudes.

Zim wasn't 'hunting'...he's running an errand to Target or something...driving there...he just happened to be the person that noticed the 'suspicious person' (who had taken the short cut) and it all went from there.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I knew what the law was.

But Zimmermans actions did precipitate the fatality.

What illegal activity did Martin commit prior to Zimmerman following him? None that I am aware of.

Zimmerman was hunting - looking for illegal activities, call it what you will. But it is all legal as he did not initiate the assault.
The gun gave him a set of cojones.

He destroyed 2 families and many people’s lives.

Zimmerman is blameless.

He was simply being a good neighbour.