Zimmerman NOT guilty

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Jul 20 17:22

Why Is the Government So Involved in the Trayvon / Zimmerman Case?

Now that Zimmerman has been found not guilty and the shooting ruled a self-defense, Obama has come forward to take his personal involvement in Trayvon's death one step further — it's splashed all over the news today that he said, "Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago" and the DOJ is going to put an investigative task force on the case at the urging of the NAACP to try and find a racial motive behind Martin's death.
This is the same DOJ that says big banks are too big to prosecute. Where is their bat signal calling for an investigation into the IRS, Benghazi, or the NSA PRISM program?
And again, it feels like we are watching a magic show where the guy on stage is wooing the audience into putting all their focus on the right hand so they will not notice what the left hand is busy doing. Keep your eyes on both the magician's hands, ladies and gentlemen.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Obama is just playing to his voters, Black, Ignorant, Welfare bums...

Trayvon Martin could have been me, 35 years ago: Barack Obama - The Globe and Mail

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Since everybody is still talking about this I will the remaining item that has bothered me about this case.

It has been said that Martin 'attacked' Zimmerman because Zimmerman was 'stalking' him or he thought he was. It has also been suggested that Zimmerman should not have followed Martin after he called 911. My question is why did Martin attack Zimmerman when all he really needed to do was call 911 and report that somebody was stalking him and perhaps trying to steal his Skittles? We know he had a cell phone as it was in prosecution's evidence. Why not call 911? Is that not what one should do if somebody is stalking them?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Since everybody is still talking about this I will the remaining item that has bothered me about this case.

It has been said that Martin 'attacked' Zimmerman because Zimmerman was 'stalking' him or he thought he was. It has also been suggested that Zimmerman should not have followed Martin after he called 911. My question is why did Martin attack Zimmerman when all he really needed to do was call 911 and report that somebody was stalking him and perhaps trying to steal his Skittles? We know he had a cell phone as it was in prosecution's evidence. Why not call 911? Is that not what one should do if somebody is stalking them?
Now now Ski....Don't you dare confuse them with common sense.......................

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

because he was a 17 year old kid! not an adult, not a man, not someone with experience... That should have been Zimmerman, had it been you, that kid would be alive... is that wrong for me to assue Ski that the kid would still be alive? he would so why are you excusing Zimmerman from making the same rational act that you would have made? Why does he get a pass?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
because he was a 17 year old kid! not an adult, not a man, not someone with experience... That should have been Zimmerman, had it been you, that kid would be alive... is that wrong for me to assue Ski that the kid would still be alive? he would so why are you excusing Zimmerman from making the same rational act that you would have made? Why does he get a pass?

People do irrational acts for irrational reasons.

Last summer, end of August, my son and I were walking/riding (he was riding his bike, I was walking) up the street to go get pizza. Since he was riding I had my iPhone4 on a belt clip listening to some tunes. We passed some punks (3 in total) and one doubled back behind me and grabbed my phone. The rational thing to do would have been to accept that it was stolen, go home and phone the police. Well, that's not what I did. I gave chase. They jumped the guardrail, ran down the hill, across the tracks and through the field. I jumped the guardrail, fell down the hill, and staggered across the tracks before I realized it was futile. My son was still at the top of the hill rather traumatized. I thought of nothing but what the adrenalin was telling me to do. I didn't even look to see if there was a train coming. Now as a 50ish year old, I did not have a chance of catching 3 20somethings but what if I did? What would I expect to have happened? I didn't give it a moment's thought. But I was pumped with adrenalin so I may have done some damage before winding up dead.

As it was I wound up with a slightly injured shoulder, various cuts and scrapes and a feeling of violation.

So I don't know what was going through George's mind but I am sure he had an adrenaline rush and was probably not completely rational. Unfortunately, neither was Travis and in the end that cost him his life.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
People do irrational acts for irrational reasons.

Last summer, end of August, my son and I were walking/riding (he was riding his bike, I was walking) up the street to go get pizza. Since he was riding I had my iPhone4 on a belt clip listening to some tunes. We passed some punks (3 in total) and one doubled back behind me and grabbed my phone. The rational thing to do would have been to accept that it was stolen, go home and phone the police. Well, that's not what I did. I gave chase. They jumped the guardrail, ran down the hill, across the tracks and through the field. I jumped the guardrail, fell down the hill, and staggered across the tracks before I realized it was futile. My son was still at the top of the hill rather traumatized. I thought of nothing but what the adrenalin was telling me to do. I didn't even look to see if there was a train coming. Now as a 50ish year old, I did not have a chance of catching 3 20somethings but what if I did? What would I expect to have happened? I didn't give it a moment's thought. But I was pumped with adrenalin so I may have done some damage before winding up dead.

As it was I wound up with a slightly injured shoulder, various cuts and scrapes and a feeling of violation.

So I don't know what was going through George's mind but I am sure he had an adrenaline rush and was probably not completely rational. Unfortunately, neither was Travis and in the end that cost him his life.
yeah I remember that happening to you, wow, yeah. You've made a really good point. I get what you are saying about the response being irrational and running on adrenaline. The thing is, giving chase is far different than pulling the trigger on a gun. You didn't have a gun of course but shooting at someone, I don't know Ski.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
yeah I remember that happening to you, wow, yeah. You've made a really good point. I get what you are saying about the response being irrational and running on adrenaline. The thing is, giving chase is far different than pulling the trigger on a gun. You didn't have a gun of course but shooting at someone, I don't know Ski.

I have given this lots of thought and I cannot honestly say that if I did have a gun at that point that I would not have used it. Instinct and adrenaline would have overrode the rationality that it was just a phone.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have given this lots of thought and I cannot honestly say that if I did have a gun at that point that I would not have used it. Instinct and adrenaline would have overrode the rationality that it was just a phone.
yeah I get that, there was one time in particular that I look back on and wonder if I'd had a gun would I have used it, I had a bat in my hands and contemplated using it, I did not, but a gun, hm easy to pull the trigger in a second of stupidity and adrenaline pumping

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yeah I get that, there was one time in particular that I look back on and wonder if I'd had a gun would I have used it, I had a bat in my hands and contemplated using it, I did not, but a gun, hm easy to pull the trigger in a second of stupidity and adrenaline pumping

Yeah, I think many of us have had brain dead moments like that. About 40 years ago while driving in downtown Nanaimo, some idiot gave me "the finger" for something. I remember pulling the car over to the curb and stopping but I was so livid and as I was opening the car door forgetting to unhitch my seat belt, by which time of course the guy was long gone and my wife was chortling about the incident.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
In the real world, that is known as a vigilante.
Also in the unreal world, like Death Wish 3 or A Fistful of Dollars, for instance.

You just answered your own questions here:
People do irrational acts for irrational reasons.........

In your particular situation, I'd likely have done the same thing until I'd realize it would have been futile. But then I don't wander about with phones attached to me ears either. I like to be aware of my surroundings when I'm in public. Hindsight's 20/20 as they say. Glad you're ok. Um, if it were me and I had a gun, I'd likely have used it rather than running after the kids, though. I'd fire a couple shots into a tree or something and hope they'd drop my phone and maybe even crap their britches.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
In your particular situation, I'd likely have done the same thing until I'd realize it would have been futile. But then I don't wander about with phones attached to me ears either. I like to be aware of my surroundings when I'm in public. Hindsight's 20/20 as they say. Glad you're ok. Um, if it were me and I had a gun, I'd likely have used it rather than running after the kids, though. I'd fire a couple shots into a tree or something and hope they'd drop my phone and maybe even crap their britches.

Whoa!!

And would YOU ever have wound up in jail.

And rightfully so.

Carry is for defense.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Whoa!!

And would YOU ever have wound up in jail.
Perhaps. Discharging a firearm in a public place is usually frowned upon. Happens frequently around here, though. Very few people get upset if they hear firearms discharged.

244. Discharging firearm with intent | Criminal Code of Canada

244.2. Discharging firearm — recklessness | Criminal Code of Canada

86. Careless use of firearm, etc. | Criminal Code of Canada I think that's most likely the charge it would be under. But this is Canada. I have no idea of the laws in the States concerning discharge without intent.

And rightfully so.
Again, perhaps.

Carry is for defense.
If I pack at all, that's exactly the intention. There are bears, cougars, and the occasional wolf family around here. When I see them and am actually packing; even for bears and cougars and wolves, I'd most likely just fire into a tree unless my cycling kid was under dire threat.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
30 lessons learned from the Zimmerman verdict

1. Anyone will be arrested & tried in this country if the powers that be decide so, despite the determination of the local authorities.

2. Even in an inscrutably fair trial, if the verdict doesn't match what the LOIS (Low Information Syndrome) sufferers want, the case must be retried until some jury gets it right!

enjoy

Dave Weinbaum: 30 lessons learned from the Zimmerman verdict - Opinion - The Rolla Daily News - Rolla, MO

h/t bcf
If you live your life by the Law you are in need of a morals check.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Defense Rests In Zimmerman Trial; Race 'Permeates The Case' : The Two-Way : NPR

Death Penalty and Race | Amnesty International USA

Top Stories - Black Americans Given Longer Sentences than White Americans for Same Crimes - AllGov - News

United States - Punishment and Prejudice: Racial Disparities in the War on Drugs

So, I can't help but think if Martin were the 28 yr old vigilante in the truck waiting for someone "suspicious" to come along and spotted a 17 yr old Zimmerman hoofing along in a "suspicious" manner on his way home and events went the same way, including the same people in the same courtroom battling over the same charges against Martin. Same circumstances except for the names and the skin color would be swapped. What do you think the verdict would have been?

BTW, the "convict-Zimmerman-crowd" is a little silly of a name to call people now, isn't it? He's "innocent" of the charges.