POLL: Should a Grade 12 Education Be Mandatory?

Should a Grade 12 Education Be Mandatory?

• Ya

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I voted nah, grade twelve is meaningless, except and perhaps if you're looking for people who will endure torture and mind fornication for twelve straight years without getting up and leaving.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A good point but as counter point there are kids who are never taught how to learn. Education can be fine tuned to fit a child's learning style and children (adults too) can be taught how to learn using the best style that suits them.

Hmm... a style that suits them. I dunno. The premise of this thread is that someone is intellectually deficient in some way because they can't quickly and concisely manipulate numbers in their head. They may have college under their belt for all you know, but be weak at mathematic manipulations. So, if the premise is that a simple failing in an individual makes you assume no education, how do you set up an education system that lets that person adapt to their weaknesses?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The reason I voted yes is with the provision that society provide an education system that
is interesting to people. Students by the time they get to grade twelve are young adults and
not children anymore. The reason many leave and we had two grand kids that did was due
to the fact the programs offered were boring as hell . Not a case of poor babies, if you think
how many jobs did you leave before you found one that you liked?
Both these young fellows did get their grade twelve and both are doing extremely well in the
trades. One is a carpenter the other at 26 is an electrician with all his tickets residential,
commercial and industrial.
The whole thing is teachers treat them like children instead of responsible adults. In some
prison systems inmates have to complete grade twelve. this is a good policy
Its not about forcing young people to do something its more about older people inspiring the
young to want to do their best.

They sound like intelligent accomplished young people. As soon as the boredom kicks in you have to get up and leave. There is no telling what staying past that has done, but I bet were it studied the results would be shocking.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hmm... a style that suits them. I dunno. The premise of this thread is that someone is intellectually deficient in some way because they can't quickly and concisely manipulate numbers in their head. They may have college under their belt for all you know, but be weak at mathematic manipulations. So, if the premise is that a simple failing in an individual makes you assume no education, how do you set up an education system that lets that person adapt to their weaknesses?
It goes far beyond counting change.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It goes far beyond counting change.

Does it? The advent of the internet and the push for higher education in our kids, has sparked a hellfire of intellectual superiority that I think people need to rein in, not shower down upon everyone. Not everyone out there is cut out for formal education. Not everyone is wired to learn in our education system. And even those who make it through might seem 'stupid'.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
For brain surgering I would think yes, for digging post holes a guy might get by with grade 11.

How would you propose to do that with someone with the I.Q. of a stump?
*falls on the floor laughing*

I was actually wondering that too although I hadn't quite phrased it so well.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If we had to educate people until they reached the age of reason, half the population would be in school until they were in their 50s.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Our education system is run by people more interested in their pension than in passing on knowlege
Not even close to true for what I have seen. At least not in the schools were I work.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
For brain surgering I would think yes, for digging post holes a guy might get by with grade 11.

How would you propose to do that with someone with the I.Q. of a stump?

He could make tooth picks. Every one has a skill set.
:lol::lol::lol:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't believe anything would be achieved by forcing them to sit there for extra time. There are just so many variables as to why some kids don't do well in our "middle class" school system. And the system is already over burdened as it is. The old saying, one can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink would be applicable here.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't believe anything would be achieved by forcing them to sit there for extra time. There are just so many variables as to why some kids don't do well in our "middle class" school system. And the system is already over burdened as it is. The old saying, one can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink would be applicable here.

Then they need to be engaged and try to determine what they want to do - Doing nothing leaves a permanent economic underclass.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
LMAO....After working in a business environment for most of my life, I now have to pay union dues because I do job coverage for people in a union so yeah I can somewhat understand where you are coming from. Nice gig if you can get it though...lol.

Then they need to be engaged and try to determine what they want to do - Doing nothing leaves a permanent economic underclass.
Yes but some kids are coming from such an horrendous environment all they want to do is "their time" and then escape. Can't blame them for that. Besides it isn't like kids can't get their equivalency later when they are in a better head space. And some kids just will be on the welfare teat period.

The problem with anything less than grade 12 is that even factories now require it. Also anyone with only a grade 12 isn't really well educated anyway. Not any more.

In fact my mum never went past grade 8 but her grammar was impeccable and her math skills far superior to mine. I am not sure what the answer is in the fast paced environment.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Yes? No?

Voice your pros and cons.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to live in a world where you can pay $2.02 for a $1.27 item and get an even 75 cents back without being told it will "screw up the till"?

YES and higher standards to Graduate!!!

That skill will be passé come February 4; it will be replaced by rounding to the nearest 5 cents.
Definitely keep the little buggars in school to end of Grade 12 or age 18 (whichever comes first). Too many on the GD golf courses during weekdays!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That skill will be passé come February 4; it will be replaced by rounding to the nearest 5 cents.
Definitely keep the little buggars in school to end of Grade 12 or age 18 (whichever comes first). Too many on the GD golf courses during weekdays!
When I was in high school (Quebec), we only had to go to grade 11. There was an extra year for college prep but it was separate.

School is more like a glorified baby sitting service to keep the kids occupied while both parents work.

I had a friend in high school who played golf. He could pick a squirrel out of a tree will his club and ball. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I could, however, pick a chipmunk out of a tree with a rock by throwing it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Most poor folk I know finished school and were, frankly, intelligent people. They're just lazy. Whereas, the dropouts I know are successful businessmen. They were the ones who were too busy getting into the workforce to attend class, and had no interest in being there because they weren't 'smart'.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I think the real problem is that the employer didn't hire qualified people.

I am against forcing everyone to get their grade 12 or equivalent. The entire concept of standardized education is a bad idea. Everyone has their own unique potential and way of learning. The current education system fails children at either end of the bell curve. Children who are too bright or to simple minded both have trouble getting their grade 12. The bright ones are bored silly and the simple minded are overwhelmed.

A better system is one where every child has a unique education plan based on their abilities and potential. I would support standardized tests which prove ability and identify qualifications for work and post secondary education opportunities.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just try to get into BCIT or one of the universities without grade twelve. Grade twelve should be a minimum standard.
If a young person has grade twelve she, or he can make their own choice on whether to attend post secondary education
or not. Without grade twelve, the choice is likely to be made for you.
Both of our children finished grade twelve. Our son has been doing graduate work in physics for six years and our daughter
is in another program but both are glad they finished grade twelve.