Paul Watson skips $320,000.00 bail in Germany.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
That's a joke, right?

Yes it was,

Of interest to those who don't know why the Japanese continue to hunt whales.

Japanese Whaling History

Japan has a long history of whaling. Half a dozen towns can trace their whaling history back hundreds of years, to when whales were driven into nets, harpooned repeatedly and then dispatched with either a long sword or a wooden plug driven into the blowhole. Hand harpoons dating as far back as 10,000 B.C. indicate an even longer tradition of whaling in Japan. At the turn of the 20th century, Japanese coastal whaling received a boost with the introduction of steam ships and grenade-tipped harpoon guns. However, it wasn't until 1934 that Japan expanded its whaling to Antarctica. Whales helped keep Japanese citizens fed both during and after World War 2. In 1947 whale meat made up almost half of all animal protein consumed by the country. Nearly 20 years later, whales continued to make up nearly one-quarter of the Japanese diet.

Japanese Culture and Pride

This history is an important part of why the Japanese continue to hunt whales. Attempts to stop the nation's whaling are perceived by many as a threat to Japanese culture. According to its defenders, eating whale meat is an old and impenetrable Japanese tradition. "No one has the right to criticize the food culture of another people," said Matayuki Komatsu of Japan's Fisheries Agency. A sense of pride also fuels Japan's commitment to whaling. To some, the words and actions of those who oppose Japanese whaling are "culturally arrogant" and unnecessarily harsh. This only serves to strengthen the country's resolve to maintain its whaling, according to some.

The Principle of Sustainable Use

Minke whales, though not at historic levels, remain plentiful. A population of 761,000 exists in the Southern Ocean, according to Japan, though some claim the number is closer to 268,000. Regardless, they exist in enough numbers that a return to commercial whaling of this species can likely be supported, assuming strict management of stocks and reasonable annual catch limits. Japan says that its whaling research over the last two decades has paved the way for long-term, sustainable use of this "renewable marine food resource." Why not hunt whales if they can be hunted sustainably? And if the principle of sustainable use is compromised on behalf of one animal, what's to stop a "domino effect" from happening that in time would limit Japan's use of other animal resources that it relies so heavily upon?

source: Animal Planet

Personally, I don't see any point in hunting whales, either for food or cultural reasons.

As far as Paul Watson goes though; he is a fat egotistical eco terrorist who finally pushed a Country too far.

I hope they hunt him down and fire his ass in jail where it belongs.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Yes it was,

Of interest to those who don't know why the Japanese continue to hunt whales.

Japanese Whaling History

Japan has a long history of whaling. Half a dozen towns can trace their whaling history back hundreds of years, to when whales were driven into nets, harpooned repeatedly and then dispatched with either a long sword or a wooden plug driven into the blowhole. Hand harpoons dating as far back as 10,000 B.C. indicate an even longer tradition of whaling in Japan. At the turn of the 20th century, Japanese coastal whaling received a boost with the introduction of steam ships and grenade-tipped harpoon guns. However, it wasn't until 1934 that Japan expanded its whaling to Antarctica. Whales helped keep Japanese citizens fed both during and after World War 2. In 1947 whale meat made up almost half of all animal protein consumed by the country. Nearly 20 years later, whales continued to make up nearly one-quarter of the Japanese diet.

Japanese Culture and Pride

This history is an important part of why the Japanese continue to hunt whales. Attempts to stop the nation's whaling are perceived by many as a threat to Japanese culture. According to its defenders, eating whale meat is an old and impenetrable Japanese tradition. "No one has the right to criticize the food culture of another people," said Matayuki Komatsu of Japan's Fisheries Agency. A sense of pride also fuels Japan's commitment to whaling. To some, the words and actions of those who oppose Japanese whaling are "culturally arrogant" and unnecessarily harsh. This only serves to strengthen the country's resolve to maintain its whaling, according to some.

The Principle of Sustainable Use

Minke whales, though not at historic levels, remain plentiful. A population of 761,000 exists in the Southern Ocean, according to Japan, though some claim the number is closer to 268,000. Regardless, they exist in enough numbers that a return to commercial whaling of this species can likely be supported, assuming strict management of stocks and reasonable annual catch limits. Japan says that its whaling research over the last two decades has paved the way for long-term, sustainable use of this "renewable marine food resource." Why not hunt whales if they can be hunted sustainably? And if the principle of sustainable use is compromised on behalf of one animal, what's to stop a "domino effect" from happening that in time would limit Japan's use of other animal resources that it relies so heavily upon?

source: Animal Planet

Personally, I don't see any point in hunting whales, either for food or cultural reasons.

As far as Paul Watson goes though; he is a fat egotistical eco terrorist who finally pushed a Country too far.

Plus he or the idiot who put up his bond is gonna be really pissed.....................:lol:...........and the money is gonzo........looks freakin good on 'em,.

GO WHALES!!!:laughing6:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I see nothing wrong with hunting whales, as long as it's kept at a sustainable and the whale is put to good use..............no different from a pig or a cow. As for Watson, about the most arrogant, obnoxious and despicable character!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Like a lot of people, I think whales are intelligent creatures who don't deserve to be tortured and
slaughtered for pet food. The main whaling countries are still Russia, Japan, and Norway but a
a lot of countries make a profit on whales when the opportunity arises. We wouldn't treat cattle
the way they treat whales and whales are at least an order of magnitude more intelligent than
cows.

Just the excuse the Japanese needed – Blog – ABC Environment (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I see nothing wrong with Watson's motives. He just upset too many people.

http://tinyurl.com/4x6ttsm

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
13 Million beef (Hindus?) in Canada all for slaughter.

Save the bovines (Hindus?)!

Cows are cuter than whales.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
I might be inclined to support him, if he wasn't such a dangerous egotistical idiot.

I agree that the Whaling Industry should be done away with.

A lot of our leaders, in politics, the arts, science, warfare, business, are dangerous egotistical fools. And I agree, they shouldn't be supported. There are others who aren't so bad and have similar success levels.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Watson is an idiot. He was up northern BC one time sniveling about wolves and got lost a hundred yards from the highway. A few friends had some laughs over that.

I remember that quite vividly now that you mention it. It happened near Fort Nelson in the dead of winter as I recall. That didn't enhance his self esteem. The guy's a moron.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
A lot of our leaders, in politics, the arts, science, warfare, business, are dangerous egotistical fools. And I agree, they shouldn't be supported. There are others who aren't so bad and have similar success levels.

Leaders in the arts? What leaders do we have in the arts?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
At least PETA gets naked.

and then there's this fat slob.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Pammy believes like all hollyweird types that being born with certain physical attributes makes you an Einstein, a philosopher, and omnipotent. If you augment those physical attributes it makes you even smarter, just ask the sheeple.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Pammy believes like all hollyweird types that being born with certain physical attributes makes you an Einstein, a philosopher, and omnipotent. If you augment those physical attributes it makes you even smarter, just ask the sheeple.

To be honest, I don't even find her very attractive.