Top CEOs leave 99% in the dust

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Of course there should be contracts and of course they should be able to be cancalled, NOT arbitrarily, just when they are not working as indicated by dwindling funds in the kitty month after month. Contract are often drawn up according to conditions at the time................conditions change......................why shouldn't contracts change? :smile:

Better not let CB here you talk like that.

Now we're getting somewhere. The unbalanced disparity between union and non-union translates directly into a higher cost of living to the average person.

Really? I belong to a union. My wages are on par with neighboring non-unionized municipalities. In fact, were my kids done school, I would have switched jobs. It is a sweeping (not to mention a false) generalization to say that union members are paid more than non-union workers.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Really? I belong to a union. My wages are on par with neighboring non-unionized municipalities. In fact, were my kids done school, I would have switched jobs. It is a sweeping (not to mention a false) generalization to say that union members are paid more than non-union workers.

Wages are only a part of the measure. I am curious if you are also measuring the benefits and pension package with the private sector folks.... I'm guessing that you aren't.

You do understand that Canada's overall debt increases dramatically when one accounts for the unfunded pension liabilities related to the public unions, right?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wages are only a part of the measure. I am curious if you are also measuring the benefits and pension package with the private sector folks.... I'm guessing that you aren't.

You do understand that Canada's overall debt increases dramatically when one accounts for the unfunded pension liabilities related to the public unions, right?

Link?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The problem with the extraordinary income gap that has developed in most of the market economies of the modern world is that it gives the lie to the strongest argument in favour of unregulated capitalism; and that is that all members of a society can benefit from economic growth. That is certainly not the case in the last few decades in which the incomes of the average citizen have essentially been frozen while those of the ultra-rich continue to increase out of all proportion to their contribution to society.

It also gives the lie to the argument that the ultra-rich are job creators as there has been no corresponding increase in the number of jobs created. High levels of unemployment continue to exist in many nations worldwide

At the same time as these inequities have developed citizens have been encouraged to continue spending in order to maintain economic momentum, however, with wages that barely match the rate of inflation the only way the average citizen can do this is to borrow, resulting in record levels of indebtedness.

There really are only a few solutions to this situation. One is to tax the incomes of the wealthy more heavily. Another would be to increase wages and benefits for the average wage earner or a combination of the two, but given the fact that most governments are in the hip pockets of the wealthy don't expect any change soon.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
There really are only a few solutions to this situation. One is to tax the incomes of the wealthy more heavily. Another would be to increase wages and benefits for the average wage earner or a combination of the two, but given the fact that most governments are in the hip pockets of the wealthy don't expect any change soon.

How many CEOs make more than $1 Million/year?

Nevermind, found it.. Globally there are 100,000 people who make at least $1 million/year.

We should cap CEO annual salaries at $1 Million/year.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Don't take everything I say as gospel. If it makes you happier, you can replace "doesn't care" with "doesn't have to care."

The main point is that CEO's are allowed to funnel as much corporate capital as they want to their own bank account even if there is no annual profit. Meanwhile, there could be departments within that corporation that do provide a profit, but do not receive any compensation.

That is hilarious. Do you have even the slightest clue how a company works? How executive pay is set?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That is hilarious. Do you have even the slightest clue how a company works? How executive pay is set?

Do you have any idea how condescending you're being?

I even posted a link about the limits of the board of directors.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Better not let CB here you talk like that.

In my experience non union always paid better than union ,but you were expected to work for your pay. That was logging and construction on the North Island and Mid Coast.That changed when I moved down island. Around here there is not a lot of union companies and the non union ones have to compete with a lot of semi retired that push wages down. Most find it acceptable because it is a good place to live if you can afford to. We do a lot of odd work that we can charge better for and pay more. Still our labourers do not get anywhere near union rate.

Do you have any idea how condescending you're being?

Perhaps you should read your own link and work on your comprehension skills.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

It's pointless to engage a discussion with anyone that feels that they are 'owed' something. It's the CEO compensation today, and later on, it will be the profits doled-out to the shareholders in the cross-hairs.

Clearly, there are those on these forums that have the belief that all people should work 9-5, Monday-Friday and anyone that elects to assume risk on their capital, do so only with exposure to downside with no opportunity to enjoy upside. Somehow, they still yearn to believe in the proletarian utopia that has failed so miserably time after time - and never give any thought as to why these plutocracies have never yielded a successful result.

Was that supposed to be the link that proved how a CEO could unilaterally change their own rate of pay or option package?

I'm still waiting for that little gem.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's pointless to engage a discussion with anyone that feels that they are 'owed' something. It's the CEO compensation today, and later on, it will be the profits doled-out to the shareholders in the cross-hairs.

Much like arguing with a wife. Except here being right has no effect on my sex life.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
While the primary responsibility of boards is to ensure that the corporation's management is performing its job correctly, actually achieving this in practice can be difficult. In a number of corporate scandals of the 1990s, one notable feature revealed in subsequent investigations is that boards were not aware of the activities of the managers that they hired, nor the true financial state of the corporation. A number of factors may be involved in this tendency:

• Most boards largely rely on management to report information to them, thus allowing management to place the desired 'spin' on information, or even conceal or lie about the true state of a company.
  • Boards of directors are part-time bodies, whose members meet only occasionally and may not know each other particularly well. This unfamiliarity can make it difficult for board members to question management.
  • CEOs tend to be rather forceful personalities. In some cases, CEOs are accused of exercising too much influence over the company's board.
  • Directors may not have the time or the skills required to understand the details of corporate business, allowing management to obscure problems.
  • The same directors who appointed the present CEO oversee his or her performance. This makes it difficult for some directors to dispassionately evaluate the CEO's performance.
  • Directors often feel that a judgment of a manager, particularly one who has performed well in the past, should be respected. This can be quite legitimate, but poses problems if the manager's judgment is indeed flawed.

Board of directors responsibilities

There was a pretty good paper written in 1993 which pins down the effect that unequal distribution has on the economy..

Hence, the long-run levels of income and wealth are positively related to the initial number of individuals who inherit more than g. Thus, an economy which is initially poor, ends up poor in the long run as well. An economy which is initially rich and its wealth is distributed among many, ends up rich. But an economy with a large amount of wealth, which is held by the few, ends up poor in the long run. If we would like to describe these results in more popular terms, we could say that a country has better growth prospects if it has a relatively larger middle class.

http://www.econ.brown.edu/fac/glenn_loury/louryhomepage/teaching/Ec%20237/Galor%20and%20Zeira%20%28RES%201993%29.pdf