Seniors don't want to give up money for younger gen: poll

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
maybe you should try to be consistent.

If you had bothered to read the entire thread (including post #375), you would have seen that I haven't blamed all the problems on seniors and do not pass the buck. Perhaps, had you read the entire thread, you would have not made the idiotic statement you made. If you had bothered to read the entire thread, you might have grasped the concept that the older generations form a much greater voting block than the younger generations. Had you read the entire thread, you probably would have realized that pointing out reality is not the same as "whining". I leave the whining to the seniors on this thread.

I do appreciate the importance you place on consistency. You have, above all else, made consistently idiotic statements.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If you had bothered to read the entire thread (including post #375), you would have seen that I haven't blamed all the problems on seniors and do not pass the buck. Perhaps, had you read the entire thread, you would have not made the idiotic statement you made. If you had bothered to read the entire thread, you might have grasped the concept that the older generations form a much greater voting block than the younger generations. Had you read the entire thread, you probably would have realized that pointing out reality is not the same as "whining". I leave the whining to the seniors on this thread.

I do appreciate the importance you place on consistency. You have, above all else, made consistently idiotic statements.

I have followed the thread and you appeared to be in a hatefest with seniors and JLM is the main target. So Gerry is not off the mark. You refer to 1 post. Really. 1 Post out of how many? Easy to miss one post.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I have followed the thread and you appeared to be in a hatefest with seniors and JLM is the main target.

That is only because of your bias. As with most of the seniors on this thread, you have taken simple factual statements made by me and rather than refute them (which you obviously can't) have instead tried to attach an agenda to me. Perhaps that is why I've been making fun of the seniors on this thread. If seniors like JLM actually tried to refute what I was saying instead of just attacking me personally, you might have an ounce of credibility. So, as far as the 700 billion dollars debt, if it isn't the seniors that are responsible for it, then who is? Maybe if the seniors would make the slightest attempt at answering some of these questions, they wouldn't look so foolish.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That is only because of your bias. As with most of the seniors on this thread, you have taken simple factual statements made by me and rather than refute them (which you obviously can't) have instead tried to attach an agenda to me. Perhaps that is why I've been making fun of the seniors on this thread. If seniors like JLM actually tried to refute what I was saying instead of just attacking me personally, you might have an ounce of credibility. So, as far as the 700 billion dollars debt, if it isn't the seniors that are responsible for it, then who is? Maybe if the seniors would make the slightest attempt at answering some of these questions, they wouldn't look so foolish.

Both of you are friends. I have no agenda. I go by what I read.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Both of you are friends. I have no agenda. I go by what I read.

I don't buy it. While I (albeit with a sense of humour) have defended my position that seniors are hypocritical for labeling the younger generations as selfish, none of the seniors here have shown any interest in refuting anything I've said. Instead, they have attacked me personally. If anybody has shown hatred, it has been the seniors. If you really were not blinded by agenda, you would be able to see how many times I have been called an idiot or an asshole by JLM and the rest and the side with the hatred would be clear to see. It's a good thing for me that I laugh it off but it is rather offensive to some.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As far as the $700 billion goes, there are some points to make that one or more of the less astute on here seem to have missed. Much of the $700 billion was directly at the hands of Trudeau and Mulroney (most of us were busy trying to make a living and were perhaps less than vigilant in following every move they made and in not checking "the books" on a month basis. At least some of that money was spent on infrastructure done at times when the costs were much less and hence saving the whining generation a wad of money so they had access to the highways, hospitals, sewer and water while doing their whining and snivelling. :smile:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Not enough Goob. Within the next 15 years, we will be short in EVERY trade. Plumbing, HVAC, Carpentry, Mechanics, Electrical.... you name it, we are coming up short in the trades. You people complain about how much it costs and how hard it is to get a plumber out to your house now....just wait.

The short sightedness of the BB's AND the generation following is THE reason we are in the predicament we are in. Cannucks generation is as much at fault as the BB's. None of our generations have bothered looking at the long term. It's been short term, or it's been "all about me", rather than "us".

I'm not sure about that Gerryh.

Since the boomers did not have that many kids and same with gen X like you said,
I expect construction to fall and slow to a crawl by 2025.

even with the massive Immigration we have, I don't think that will replace the whole dieing boomer generation.
Id expect house prices to fall at that point no?

And that means a bunch of construction workers on EI.

From 2015 to 2025 its going to be a gold rush for old age home construction then after that it will be slow.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not enough Goob. Within the next 15 years, we will be short in EVERY trade. Plumbing, HVAC, Carpentry, Mechanics, Electrical.... you name it, we are coming up short in the trades. You people complain about how much it costs and how hard it is to get a plumber out to your house now....just wait.

The short sightedness of the BB's AND the generation following is THE reason we are in the predicament we are in. Cannucks generation is as much at fault as the BB's. None of our generations have bothered looking at the long term. It's been short term, or it's been "all about me", rather than "us".

I think that is a trait of EVERY generation of politicians.....................survive to win another election! :lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
At least some of that money was spent on infrastructure done at times when the costs were much less and hence saving the whining generation a wad of money so they had access to the highways, hospitals, sewer and water while doing their whining and snivelling.

Infrastructure is ongoing. There was infrastructure being built before deficits became the norm and there was infrastructure being build after Martin/Chretien balanced the books. Infrastructure is a red herring. As far as your generation being too busy...I didn't realize seniors were also very lazy and couldn't go out and vote. I guess, not only are seniors more selfish than the younger generations, they are also much lazier. I didn't really think that but I appreciate you pointing it out.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
The longer we wait the worse it will become. Yes we are behind. The Feds were aware of this in the early
90's. Time to get moving I would say. And that is a Fed /Prov / Business role.

90's ??? I was a member of a panel formed in Ontario and chaired by a previous premiere and Chancellor of the University of Guelph who'se purpose it was to determine what was the reasons for the shortage of skilled trades and what could be done to reverse this trend as immigration was no longer the resource pool to access at a moments notice to draw a few from! The chairperson's name at the time was George Drew!

Immigrants; the traditional pool from the British Isles and European countries had virtually dried up with a number of HR people on the panel having sent rep's over to entice certificated applicants for the machine trades through reimbursement of moving costs, guaranteed employment for a specified time, and even, in some cases, covering those real estate costs associated with searching and fianalizing a house purchase.

Think of the enormity of those concessions regarding the waiving of the traditional "probationary period" that has been the norm for generations and still exists today in nearly every work place in North America. These companies had actually sat with Unions in some cases getting an agreement hammered out that would see the waiving of those probationary periods for immigrants while optioning them to a degree for domestic hires; to wit;
1/ regular probationary period would be served for "home growns". 2/ current hires undergoing a probationary period would be considered finished, 3/entire probationary clause in collective agreement would be suspended for a period of time to encompass the "foreign hire period". These were all issues that would have affected the seniority of any still probationed versus just hired foreign worker leap frogging over him. Couldn't happen but some companies actually wondered "why the concern"?

You can well imagine the types of discussions these generated within the workplace with Union rep's screaming foul over the requirement for "home growns" to serve any probationary period at all in the future when that little item would be waived for folks from overseas that they had no idea if the credentials held were even genuine or not. Union rep's were bitterly slinging stuff like "since when would you regard the foreign workers to be acceptable in all facets of work habits while still demanding 'probation to determine' for Canadian journeymen?" They certainly had a point.

For my part; I stated ' on the record for the minute's that if "Canadian companies had placed the required value on active and prolific apprenticeship programs; they would have realized a return in both the numbers required to sustain business needs and also a respect for the graduate apprentice through observance and improvements to existing plans, where the general impression of foreign training being superior to ours would have dissappeared long ago"! and finished with "the very fact we're forced to convene a panel to discuss this topic should result in your everlasting shame". I know; over the top with hyperbole but I was much younger then.

Those meetings took place in the late 70's

It all came to nought as they couldn't entice foreign guys in any numbers to solve the shortage anyway!

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm wondering if unlike the immigrants of the early 20th century who could provide, the current crop aren't ones who are more in need! :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If I were running a nation that faced a labour crisis and a retirement funding crisis I'd do three things.

First: I'd invest the pensions of the aging labour force into resources development and infrastructure.

Second. I'd utilize the remaining skilled labour force to build the infrastructure to access, extract and get those resources to market so the products are being sold, the remaing skilled labour is still padding their nest by working ensuring the pension investments pay off and my currency remains strong to keep their asses alive for 20-30 years after retirement.

Thirdly: I'd fill in the gaps by tapping into a major skilled labour force in the nation I border which just happens to have to manpower and arms to protect my resources and it's infrastructure from destruction by foreign invaders by removing many of the trade, security, people movement barriers, and currency issues that neighbouring nations have because of borders.

Take a look around you. Does it appear that these points are indeed unfolding before your eyes?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

You are making me older before my time. I am not a Senior. Only 54.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You REALLY are an idiot aren't you?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

You REALLY are an idiot aren't you?

M. Bison "Yes Yes!" Widescreen HD reupload - YouTube

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
what it boils down to as to why there is no money, and why there will be a major problem with paying for what we have and need is the fact that the baby boomers didn't have enough children, and the baby boomers kids didn't have enough children.

We have a major problem in the trades coming up as there are not enough apprentices coming in to replace the tradesmen retiring. There are not enough people paying taxes to pay for the extra burden that the baby boomers are going to be putting on the system when they basically stop paying taxes.

The whole tax and pension system is another unsustainable pyramid scheme.
The reason there is and will be a lack of trades people in the foreseeable future is that our education systems are run by academics with little knowledge of anything that isn't already in a book. They consider working with ones hands as somehow being low class. Coupled with the way tradespeople are treated by their employers it is little wonder that few choose this path and that fewer still remain in it.
Even though I am a journeyman HD mechanic I mostly operate machines and manage projects because operators make as much money, aren't expected to work nights and weekends or get dirty and have no investment in their jobs other than a big lunch box . Also when an operator breaks something it is no big deal but if a mechanic does not have a piece of scrap iron running the next day or screws up trying to fix it the world is ending.