Iran Renders Verdict on US Hikers.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I am pretty sure that hanging gays was never on our agenda. That women were not stoned. That blacks were hung. You are also comparing the acts of individuals against something that is state sanctioned. North America has certainly come a long way in the last 60 years, but your comparison just does not stand up.
When did we abandon the death penalty? 1972? When were women let into universities? When were Aboriginal people given the vote? When did they close the last of the residential schools? Are we talking a matter of degrees of barbarism here? What I'm talking about is it will take 50 - 60 years for them to get to where we are - perhaps kicking and screaming but, none the less, they will get here. The whole world will eventually catch up to us and then the whole world will one big homogenous happy dysfunctional family, so bland we will pray for the good old days.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When did we abandon the death penalty? 1972? When were women let into universities? When were Aboriginal people given the vote? When did they close the last of the residential schools? Are we talking a matter of degrees of barbarism here? What I'm talking about is it will take 50 - 60 years for them to get to where we are - perhaps kicking and screaming but, none the less, they will get here. The whole world will eventually catch up to us and then the whole world will one big homogenous happy dysfunctional family, so bland we will pray for the good old days.

I THINK it was 1976, Cliff as I can remember what I was doing at the time it was announced.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Jeezuz! You are older than me and I can't remember what I did yesterday! :p

Funny how that works, I have a hard time remembering what I did this morning but have vivid recollection of my first day in school in 1949!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

In an NDP wet dream maybe.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In an NDP wet dream maybe.

Greed and selfishness will be the end of us and no doubt toward the end we'll be very dysfunctional and as we get fatter and fatter there will be standing room only in the hospitals.

I suppose that means something to you but it is lost on me. I can't for the life of me figure out what that comment means or has to do with what I said.

Only those who have experienced an "N.D.P. wet dream" would! :lol:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Wasn't "Gitmo" supposed to close one year after Obama took office? What happened to that promise?

When Obama tried to bring them into trials within the States certain right wingers objected because they felt it violated everyone's safety. As always he knuckles under to everything that the right wingers want.

At least they got a trial. Give me a break.

I would go to Gitmo before Iran on any day of the week

What fair trial did these kids get?

Last edited by a moderator:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
comparisons like that are counterproductive anyhow.....
Unless you do it.

and are done by folks that want to blow their horn about the "progress" society has made. YET........
You meant US society right?

anti Gay seintiment, and other prejudices continue to influence societal attitudes.
But not state policy.

How far have"we come when it takes a few loud mouth talking heads on the media to stir up a lynch mob kill mentality when justice has not yielded the verdict these vengeful folks want. It would take nothing for this gang to grab their pitch forks and render "justice" ( Casey anthony) THEIR WAY. Wanting blood, is not all that evolved. And we see it in the US on a regular basis. The lynching mentality is not far from the time that it was actively done.
Can you show me where the state has sanctioned lynchings please.

As I mentioned before..........the Iranian gov't is one thing. but the people and society there is not at all it is portrayed by the USG / media. I know at least three professionals from the region .......one being my heart surgeon.... and they just roll their eyes... at the commentary they hear from the media. It is no wonder the so called "west" is seen as dull , brainwashed, and uneducated .
You would be a stellar example.

Those kids were at Gitmo?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
When Obama tried to bring them into trials within the States certain right wingers objected because they felt it violated everyone's safety. As always he knuckles under to everything that the right wingers want.

Gopher give your head a shake.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Back on topic...

This story and people's reactions is a good litmus test to determine who can and can't think independently. If the US arrested three Iranians near a remote section of the US/Mexico border, how many people here would believe their claims that they were just tourists who accidentally crossed into the US while hiking?

The facts in this case as near as I can determine are:

Iranian authorities arrested three Americans in a remote area along the Iraq/Iran border. They claimed to be hikers who wandered across the border from Iraq accidentally. Iran initially charged them with entering Iran illegally and later charged them with espionage after finding some "compelling evidence". Recently two of the three were convicted of all charges after what AI describes as a "grossly unfair" trial. Their lawyer never had a chance to see or challenge the "compelling evidence" which resulted in their conviction for espionage.

Which side of the unmarked border they were on at the time of the arrest is unclear. Most likely they were a few meters on the Iraqi side, when an Iranian border guard motioned or ordered them onto the Iranian side and arrested them. Its possible they were on either side of the border of the time of their arrest.

All three are Jewish and graduates of University of California Berkley. One has some limited experience as a freelance journalist. Their links to humanitarian organizations are extremely superficial. They participated in some anti-war protests and expressed sentiment against the Afghan and Iraq wars. Two of the three were living in Damascus, Syria. They had no obvious permanent employment, but had money to travel and somehow posted a $500,000 bail for the women, who immediately fled the country and will be tried in absentia.

I am only certain they didn't get a fair trial since they never had a chance to see or challenge the "compelling evidence" against them. Based on the facts, I can't determine the full truth here and I doubt any one else can either.

Moving on to speculation... Iraq's back country is dangerous and not a popular destination for American hikers. Although these people fit the profile of new spooks, the circumstances of their capture indicates its unlikely they were on a spy mission at time. I suspect the Iranians have no proof these three are spies, and their conviction is 100% political. They will be used to bargain for the release Iranian spies detained in the US. The US could get these people released, but they'll have to cut a deal with the Iranians.

However, I don't see the US as having the moral high ground when it comes to treatment of accused spies. People the US has alleged committed acts of terrorism or espionage get the same treatment or worse in the US or at any of the various "black ops" around the world. These people also don't have the right to see and therefore challenge the evidence against them, because it could compromise intelligence gathering. In many cases they are held for years without trial and subjected to torture.

Regarding the way the US treats Iranians accused of spying, consider this case of this Iranian:

Tehran Raps Washington for Depriving Jailed Iranian Woman of Rights
Source: Fars News Agency, TEhran

A senior Iranian Foreign Ministry official called on Washington to issue entry visas for the family of Shahrzad Mir-Qolikhan, an innocent Iranian woman held in the US jails for the last three years, to let them have a meeting with her, and lambasted the US authorities for depriving Shahrzad of her Vienna Convention rights.

"Based on the Vienna Convention, Mrs. Mir-Qolikhan is entitled to certain rights (to have consulate access and meetings with her family), but none of them have yet been materialized," Director-General of the Iranian Foreign Ministry for Iranian Expatriates Nasrollah Tajik told FNA on Saturday.

Tajik referred to the proper behavior Iranian authorities have had with the three US nationals who were arrested by Iran in July 2009 after crossing Iran-Iraq borders illegally, the freedom of Sarah Emily Shourd, one of these three American nationals, and their meetings with their families in Iran, and lamented that the US has failed to provide such facilities for Shahrzad Mir-Qolikhan.

The efforts made by the Iranian foreign ministry officials have just led to the transfer of Shahrzad to another prison after her improper and hard conditions in her previous jail, he explained.

Shahrzad's father told FNA last week that his daughter was sent to a prison in the US state of Oklahoma after more than a month of aggravating conditions in her solitary confinement.

"My daughter had been threatened to death in her former prison several times and suffered from respiratory diseases due to the lack of hygiene and good healthcare," Mir-Qolikhan complained at the time.

Shahrzad was detained in the US in December 2007. Her ex-husband, Mahmoud Seif, had allegedly tried to export night-vision goggles to Iran from Austria.

She was sentenced to five years of imprisonment by a Florida federal court in absentia.

Also earlier, Shahrzad's mother unveiled new details about abuse, torture and cruel treatment of her daughter by the US prison guards and jailors, and stressed that her daughter is held against the law since her retrial in the US violated the international and US laws.

Belqeis Rowshan said in an interview with FNA at the time that her daughter was initially sentenced to 52 days of imprisonment by an Austrian court in 2005 and her case was closed after she served her prison term.

"Again and after a short period, a US court sentenced Shahrzad to five years of imprisonment for the same case, while based on the international laws courts are not allowed to issue two (consecutive) rulings for a single case," Rowshan stated.

"That means that the US action on the case was wrong in essence and they know this," she stressed, reminding that her family attorney also confirm her words.

"Therefore, Shahrzad's detention has been an illegal move and it is now three years that my daughter has been in jail for her attempt to buy a single pair of night-vision goggles," Rowshan explained.

Rowshan further noted the US prison guards' mistreatment of Shahrzad, and said whenever her daughter is allowed to contact the family from the jail, she complains about her jailors' physical and mental tortures and mistreatment.

Also in March, Rowshan said that Shahrzad is suffering from respiratory problems due to the bad healthcare and sanitary conditions at the prison, expressing deep concern about the fate of her daughter.

"Shahrzad, who is suffers respiratory problems as a result of the lack of hygiene and sanitation in the jail was transferred to the prison's clinic last night after her conditions deteriorated," Rowshan told FNA at the time.

The prison accommodating Shahrzad was built in 1938 and is in a very undesirable condition, she mentioned, adding that the molds on prison walls and ceiling have caused respiratory problems for her daughter.

Rowshan also complained about the US officials' indifference to her family's repeated demands for a meeting with Shahrzad at the jail, yet she said that her family members have, nevertheless, sent their passports and related documents to the US authorities to receive a visa for travelling to the US, reiterating that the family would spare no effort to help Shahrzad in any possible way.

In September former Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said that Tehran has prepared a list of Iranian nationals who are in US jails for false charges, and added that he is closely pursuing the issue.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the 65th session of the UN General Assembly, Mottaki said that the issue of the Iranian captives would be one of the main topics that he would discuss with the UN chief, Ban Ki-moon, during his visit to the UN headquarters.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad also said in September that the US has recently detained and held eight Iranian nationals illegally and based on false allegations.

President Ahmadinejad said in an interview with the Russian TV that the Iranian captives were arrested in third countries by US agents under "false accusations" and transferred here to US jails.

"This is abduction and does not fit in with any legal system. They (Iranians) had traveled to other countries with official visas but were arrested by Americans," Ahmadinejad stated at the time.

"Americans have not observed the international law. They should review their conduct and allow the detainees to return home."

eao: Although I disagree with the way the US and Iran both treat each other's citizens, I fail to see why Iran should have to meet a higher standard than the US regarding fairness, transparency, treatment or conditions. I expect the US and Iran will cut a deal to release the three American hikers in exchange for the release of Iranian nationals held in US prisons. (which is the most likely reason why these Americans were convicted)

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
All three are Jewish and graduates of University of California Berkley.

Being from the University of California Berkley campus says a lot of why these morons chose to hike in Iraq near the Iranian border. I think it is important for them to spend a good deal of time in Iran then go back to Berkley.

Isn't he the President? He had two years to close it down without any GOP interference. He can STILL close it down. Where is the US Liberal outrage? What happened to the order he signed?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The Iranian government thinks otherwise.

These Americans got 3 years for entering the country illegally and 5 years for espionage.

While I have doubts as to whether these three were spies, there can be no doubt the US has conducted covert operations against Iran:
Preparing the Battlefield
The Bush Administration steps up its secret moves against Iran.
by Seymour M. Hersh July 7, 2008

Late last year, Congress agreed to a request from President Bush to fund a major escalation of covert operations against Iran, according to current and former military, intelligence, and congressional sources. These operations, for which the President sought up to four hundred million dollars, were described in a Presidential Finding signed by Bush, and are designed to destabilize the country’s religious leadership. The covert activities involve support of the minority Ahwazi Arab and Baluchi groups and other dissident organizations. They also include gathering intelligence about Iran’s suspected nuclear-weapons program.

Clandestine operations against Iran are not new. United States Special Operations Forces have been conducting cross-border operations from southern Iraq, with Presidential authorization, since last year. These have included seizing members of Al Quds, the commando arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, and taking them to Iraq for interrogation, and the pursuit of “high-value targets” in the President’s war on terror, who may be captured or killed. But the scale and the scope of the operations in Iran, which involve the Central Intelligence Agency and the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC), have now been significantly expanded...
Read more The Bush Administration’s operations in Iran : The New Yorker

Also there can be no doubt that some of these operations were directed at civilians with lethal consequences:
Tehran accuses the west and Israel of arranging co-ordinated bombings targeting its atomic programme
29 November 2010

...Tehran today accused the west and Israel of dispatching a hit squad against its atomic programme, after an Iranian nuclear scientist was killed and another injured in co-ordinated attacks.

The attackers rode up on motorcycles and stuck bombs to the windows of the scientists' cars as they were leaving their homes in Tehran on the way to work. Seconds later the bombs detonated.

One bomb killed Majid Shahriar, of the nuclear engineering faculty at the Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran. His wife was in the car with him and was wounded. The second bomb injured Fereidoun Abbasi, 52, a nuclear physicist and professor at Shahid Besheshti, and also injured his wife... ...The attacks were similar to the assassination in January of Masoud Ali Mohammadi, an expert on particle physics, killed by a remote-control bomb strapped to a motorcycle as he was leaving his Tehran home on his way to work...
Attack on Iranian nuclear scientists prompts hit squad claims | World news | The Guardian

Like I said I have no idea whether these three were spies or not. But the Iranian government and their criminal justice system, flawed as it is, officially decided they are spies. If they thought these three had anything to do with the above murders and sabotage, they'd be facing the death penalty. Instead one was allowed free on bail and fled while the other two got 8 years. I'm fairly certain that if the US government was willing to cut a deal with their counterparts in Iran, these two would be released.

BTW, the conditions of the Iranian prison and treatment of alleged/convicted spies by Iranian authorities is far better than those suffered by alleged/convicted Iranian spies held by US authorities in the dungeons around the world.

These three all said they have been well treated. The woman changed her story once she got back to the US. I listened to her description of ill treatment and it sounded like one guard was an idiot and assaulted one of the men causing a laceration. But their treatment did not include sleep deprivation, mind altering drugs, repeated beatings, water boarding or being shackled in painful positions for days at a time, as has been reported by detainees at Gitmo, Bagram and other black op detention facilities.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Not a biggie. Each time someone gets bent ouf of shape and reduces himself to such a low level of finger pointing and name calling........they forget they have 3 fingers pointing back at themselves.
That's why you have me, RCS and DaS pointing at you.

The traged;y lies in the fact that someone who would refer to himself in a military way........would resort to such nasty tactics.Maybe we have to allow for that as we have no; idea of the horrors he/she has been exposed to and that must make some very jaded.
Why do you cry about personalizations in posts? You doing it to, makes you an incredible hypocrite.

You wouldn't know that from some of the hate posts made on this forum. I honestly do not know of any other website that promotes hatred for Muslims like this website does. The Keegstra case 3 S.C.R. 697 determined that hate speech which targets a specific group is a crime under Canadian law.
You should probably read up on that, using something other than wiki. That way your posts wouldn't look so stupid.

It would seem by extension that its prohibitions could be applied to this website as well since there is such hate spewed here for Muslims. If this website was based in the USA those of us who want peace among all ethnicities can report it to the FCC. Don't know which Canadian agency would handle any complaints for violation of the country's hate speech laws but there sure is a long list of posts and threads which could be used as justification for applying the law.
Here, contact these anti free speech types. You and them have a lot in common.

Back on topic...

This story and people's reactions is a good litmus test to determine who can and can't think independently. If the US arrested three Iranians near a remote section of the US/Mexico border, how many people here would believe their claims that they were just tourists who accidentally crossed into the US while hiking?
There you go assuming again.

And here comes the excuses...

All three are Jewish and graduates of University of California Berkley.
What does their religion have to do with anything?
One has some limited experience as a freelance journalist. Their links to humanitarian organizations are extremely superficial. They participated in some anti-war protests and expressed sentiment against the Afghan and Iraq wars. Two of the three were living in Damascus, Syria. They had no obvious permanent employment, but had money to travel and somehow posted a $500,000 bail for the women, who immediately fled the country and will be tried in absentia.
They didn't post the bail, her parents did.

Fattal, Worked for the International Honors Program, an educational group. He specialized in health.

Bauer, Is a free lance journalist/photographer, who contributes regularly to three left leaning publications.

Stop making things up to support your excuses for the ignorance of Islamic nations.

I am only certain they didn't get a fair trial since they never had a chance to see or challenge the "compelling evidence" against them. Based on the facts, I can't determine the full truth here and I doubt any one else can either.
It was easy. But I don't have a biased agenda.

Moving on to speculation...
Moving on? Your whole post so far has been nothing but.

Iraq's back country is dangerous and not a popular destination for American hikers.
It's a listed tourist destination. The Iraq Kurdish area in question has no reports of violence.

Although these people fit the profile of new spooks...
You base that on what? The fact that they were jewish, or the rest of the lies you posted?

However, I don't see the US as having the moral high ground when it comes to treatment of accused spies.
The get jailed, then deported, after a fair trial.

Regarding the way the US treats Iranians accused of spying, consider this case of this Iranian:

Tehran Raps Washington for Depriving Jailed Iranian Woman of Rights
Source: Fars News Agency, TEhran

A senior Iranian Foreign Ministry official called on Washington to issue entry visas for the family of Shahrzad Mir-Qolikhan, an innocent Iranian woman held in the US jails for the last three years, to let them have a meeting with her, and lambasted the US authorities for depriving Shahrzad of her Vienna Convention rights.

"Based on the Vienna Convention, Mrs. Mir-Qolikhan is entitled to certain rights (to have consulate access and meetings with her family), but none of them have yet been materialized," Director-General of the Iranian Foreign Ministry for Iranian Expatriates Nasrollah Tajik told FNA on Saturday.

Tajik referred to the proper behavior Iranian authorities have had with the three US nationals who were arrested by Iran in July 2009 after crossing Iran-Iraq borders illegally, the freedom of Sarah Emily Shourd, one of these three American nationals, and their meetings with their families in Iran, and lamented that the US has failed to provide such facilities for Shahrzad Mir-Qolikhan.

The efforts made by the Iranian foreign ministry officials have just led to the transfer of Shahrzad to another prison after her improper and hard conditions in her previous jail, he explained.

Shahrzad's father told FNA last week that his daughter was sent to a prison in the US state of Oklahoma after more than a month of aggravating conditions in her solitary confinement.

"My daughter had been threatened to death in her former prison several times and suffered from respiratory diseases due to the lack of hygiene and good healthcare," Mir-Qolikhan complained at the time.

Shahrzad was detained in the US in December 2007. Her ex-husband, Mahmoud Seif, had allegedly tried to export night-vision goggles to Iran from Austria.

She was sentenced to five years of imprisonment by a Florida federal court in absentia.

Also earlier, Shahrzad's mother unveiled new details about abuse, torture and cruel treatment of her daughter by the US prison guards and jailors, and stressed that her daughter is held against the law since her retrial in the US violated the international and US laws.

Belqeis Rowshan said in an interview with FNA at the time that her daughter was initially sentenced to 52 days of imprisonment by an Austrian court in 2005 and her case was closed after she served her prison term.

"Again and after a short period, a US court sentenced Shahrzad to five years of imprisonment for the same case, while based on the international laws courts are not allowed to issue two (consecutive) rulings for a single case," Rowshan stated.

"That means that the US action on the case was wrong in essence and they know this," she stressed, reminding that her family attorney also confirm her words.

"Therefore, Shahrzad's detention has been an illegal move and it is now three years that my daughter has been in jail for her attempt to buy a single pair of night-vision goggles," Rowshan explained.

Rowshan further noted the US prison guards' mistreatment of Shahrzad, and said whenever her daughter is allowed to contact the family from the jail, she complains about her jailors' physical and mental tortures and mistreatment.

Also in March, Rowshan said that Shahrzad is suffering from respiratory problems due to the bad healthcare and sanitary conditions at the prison, expressing deep concern about the fate of her daughter.

"Shahrzad, who is suffers respiratory problems as a result of the lack of hygiene and sanitation in the jail was transferred to the prison's clinic last night after her conditions deteriorated," Rowshan told FNA at the time.

The prison accommodating Shahrzad was built in 1938 and is in a very undesirable condition, she mentioned, adding that the molds on prison walls and ceiling have caused respiratory problems for her daughter.

Rowshan also complained about the US officials' indifference to her family's repeated demands for a meeting with Shahrzad at the jail, yet she said that her family members have, nevertheless, sent their passports and related documents to the US authorities to receive a visa for travelling to the US, reiterating that the family would spare no effort to help Shahrzad in any possible way.

In September former Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said that Tehran has prepared a list of Iranian nationals who are in US jails for false charges, and added that he is closely pursuing the issue.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the 65th session of the UN General Assembly, Mottaki said that the issue of the Iranian captives would be one of the main topics that he would discuss with the UN chief, Ban Ki-moon, during his visit to the UN headquarters.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad also said in September that the US has recently detained and held eight Iranian nationals illegally and based on false allegations.

President Ahmadinejad said in an interview with the Russian TV that the Iranian captives were arrested in third countries by US agents under "false accusations" and transferred here to US jails.

"This is abduction and does not fit in with any legal system. They (Iranians) had traveled to other countries with official visas but were arrested by Americans," Ahmadinejad stated at the time.

"Americans have not observed the international law. They should review their conduct and allow the detainees to return home."

eao: Although I disagree with the way the US and Iran both treat each other's citizens, I fail to see why Iran should have to meet a higher standard than the US regarding fairness, transparency, treatment or conditions. I expect the US and Iran will cut a deal to release the three American hikers in exchange for the release of Iranian nationals held in US prisons. (which is the most likely reason why these Americans were convicted)
Excuses excuses excuses. I thought you just simply condemned wrong doings?

This post is fill with your usual falsehoods and excuses for bad behavior.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
That's understandable Bear.....coming from someone who condemns Fox News or Sun News for being biased but takes al jazeera or Fars News Agency as gospel truth.........Oh...but I forget....they support his own delusions...my bad;-)
You won't get both sides of the story by listening to one side. I pay attention to Fox and Sun and just like Fars, Pravda, Xinhua, I consider the source.

For journalistic integrity I'd rate al Jazeera as similar to the BBC and the radio version of CBC news and documentaries. Al Jazeera's coverage of the events in Tahrir Square during the Egyptian uprising was second to none for real time accuracy. Even Barak Obama followed the revolt on al Jazeera.
Al Jazeera On Obama White House TV

Back on subject... The US now has to either cut a deal with the Iranians to release these Americans or let them continue living as guests of the Iranian penal system. My money is riding on a deal with a year.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You won't get both sides of the story by listening to one side. I pay attention to Fox and Sun and just like Fars, Pravda, Xinhua, I consider the source.

For journalistic integrity I'd rate al Jazeera as similar to the BBC and the radio version of CBC news and documentaries. Al Jazeera's coverage of the events in Tahrir Square during the Egyptian uprising was second to none for real time accuracy. Even Barak Obama followed the revolt on al Jazeera.
Al Jazeera On Obama White House TV
If you're so objective and well informed. How come I found and pointed out so many errors in your conclusions?