Ontario takes $2.2 Billions in Transfer Payments

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This thread made me worried for moment. I grabbed my passport and checked my nationality expecting to find "British Columbian" but it actually says "Canadian". Now I'm just confused. What are you all complaining about again?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yeah! Those Western bastards... How dare they develop a world class resource and keep Canada's dollar strong when it is so much more convenient to have a Canadian Peso that will prop-up Eastern Canada's uncompetitive, uneconomic and failing manufacturing sector.

Hyperbole fail.

Also, the oil came before the manufacturing.

WWaaaayyy too funny.

You post this crap in the thread that outlines the $2.2 billion in direct cash into Ontario?

Hey, maybe you can post a few articles about the feds bailing-out the auto mfgrs in Ontario while you're at it too?

Hypocrite

I never said I agreed with it.

How assumptive of you.

winespius

Nominee Member
Jul 20, 2011
the cause of Ontario as a "have-not" is Alberta's oil production.

hahaha..that's not delusional ..it's just plain insanity..!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This thread made me worried for moment. I grabbed my passport and checked my nationality expecting to find "British Columbian" but it actually says "Canadian". Now I'm just confused. What are you all complaining about again?

Passport only says you live in Canada. All your ID is Provincial.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Oh? Which province would that be?

Here's a hint: ignore this question because every province has been a recipient of equalization payments and you'll look like a fool if actually answer it.

If I had to guess which province he was referring to I would have guessed Ontario, which was the last province that was able to claim to have never received equalization payments. It lost that status in 2009 after actually qualifying for equalization many years before but forgoing payment. Alberta was one of the first provinces to receive payments when the program started, meaning it has never been able to claim that status.

Maybe Durry's referring to an imaginary province.

Looks like you enjoy your history... Here's an idea, why don't you figure-out which was the last province to act as the national ATM for Canada since PET (don't forget the NEP or PetroCanada).

Here's a hint: Ignore this question because only one province has had that responsibility heaved-onto their shoulders and you'll look like a fool if you actually try to answer it.

the cause of Ontario as a "have-not" is Alberta's oil production.

hahaha..that's not delusional ..it's just plain insanity..!!

"Insanity" doesn't fully capture the depth of retardedness of the comment

winespius

Nominee Member
Jul 20, 2011
provinces whose oil and gas are fuelling growth in India and China ...WTF!? where does this insanity come from?? about 97% of Canadian oil production goes to the US..NOT India and China...typically it is the brain dead easterner that makes up shyte when they don't the topic...especially McGinty...

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Could you obtain it without the other pieces?

Quite possibly. The health card is what I used and it doesn't count as an ID.

The point is the province is not a nationality. Though I've heard Ontario is the only province where the people by and large claim to be Canadian first, rather than Ontarian.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Passport only says you live in Canada. All your ID is Provincial.

I don't know about yours, but mine looks like this. See, it says "Canadian/Canadienne" on the photo page. Valerie Specimen's a nice looking girl, isn't she?

Looks like you enjoy your history... Here's an idea, why don't you figure-out which was the last province to act as the national ATM for Canada since PET (don't forget the NEP or PetroCanada).

Here's a hint: Ignore this question because only one province has had that responsibility heaved-onto their shoulders and you'll look like a fool if you actually try to answer it.

Why would I look like a fool? I have never made a factually impossible claim on that topic. If I answered that question would it contradict anything I've said in this thread or ever on this forum? Durry, on the other hand, claimed to live in a province that has never received equalization payments. No province can make that claim.

Nice try there.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What are transfer payments if not some of the taxes collected by the feds being returned to the people who payed them in the first place. How much federal tax has been collected from Ontario and what percentage of that has been returned? The last time I checked we all live in Canada. Why is it that just because Alberia has recently become a have province, they think they are above everybody else and are reluctant to share with those who once shared with them. How childish of the nuveau riche.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
TD forecast this would happen in 2008. I guess we can add you to either the group of mathtards here, or to the general class of ignorati.
Ontario could get equalization payments within 2 years: TD - Canada - CBC News

Good post.

From that link:

The startling turnaround in the fortunes of Ontario is largely due to soaring commodity prices and a new equalization formula that takes into account non-renewable resource revenues, according to the report's authors.
That should be the final nail in the coffin.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Nationality "Canadian" once you've "naturalized" you can use you Provincial ID to get a passport that has your new "Nationality".

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The comment goes nowhere in recognizing why Eastern mfg is uncompetitive in the global markets. Having to depend on a weak dollar to be competitive is no kind of solution.

The report notes that last year's change to the equalization formula from a five-province to a 10-province standard "brought Alberta into the picture and their soaring resource revenues" have driven up the base upon which equalization payments are based.

The federal equalization program is designed to compensate "have-not" provinces so that their residents can have the same level of services as richer provinces. In the 2008-09 fiscal year, six provinces — the four in Atlantic Canada, Quebec and Manitoba — will receive more than $13.6 billion in equalization payments.

The authors say Ontario's relative decline is "not so much a story of Ontario weakness as it is of booming economic strength in Canada's commodity-based economies."

Since Ontario is a net importer of commodities, its economic performance relative to the west has been hurt.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Why would I look like a fool? I have never made a factually impossible claim on that topic. If I answered that question would it contradict anything I've said in this thread or ever on this forum? Durry, on the other hand, claimed to live in a province that has never received equalization payments. No province can make that claim.

Nice try there.

I notice that you never answered the question... But let's cut to the chase on the equalization issue: It has morphed into a form of quasi-provincial welfare wherein some recipients have an utter dependency on it to float a program of unsustainable spending. The take-away on this is that if the Feds perpetuate this program, the have-not provinces have an incentive to not develop their economies independently as there will always be the soft option available.

I think that it's fair to say that any economist would not support the Canadian model as it currently exists as a form of state welfare.