Heads up shutter bug

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
You can turn off the gps. I have in the last three phones I've had. My current phone is my first camera phone. I'm going to double check I've got the gps off for pics too.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I have the GPS off in my phone except for 911 calls and don't have a GPS in any of my cameras and if I had I would check and delete the Exif Data pertaining to location before posting on a public web site

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Ya. People just go ahead and dump crap onto facebook and twitter straight from their phones. They probably thing Google Chrome is a smart choice too.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Ya. People just go ahead and dump crap onto facebook and twitter straight from their phones. They probably thing Google Chrome is a smart choice too.

I've checked several photos of friends on facebook...I don't know how facebook does it, but I can't get data off their photos there....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They aren't your friend's photos. As soon as you upload them to Fascistbook, Fascistbook takes ownership of your photos and page content.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
They aren't your friend's photos. As soon as you upload them to Fascistbook, Fascistbook takes ownership of your photos and page content.

I realise that, so that is why I say that the data must be erased in the upload process with their software as some kind of protection, the same as if you upload a photo to your album in this forum and probably other vbulletin as well the exif data in your photo is replaced by the forum data as to the date size and other data,...the camera brand, model etc. is erased.
But not so, when a photo stored on photo bucket,image shack, flicker. etc is hot linked to the forum. Then the data remains intact.
So a lot of what ABC said while technically correct for certain web sites doesn't cover everything.
That data can be useful if I see a nice photo by someone who has the same type of camera I have. I can find out even if that person doesn't remember, all the settings he had for taking that picture.

It also came useful for me in 2000 when geocaching I placed some scenic pictures of the area, on a floppy disk in the geocahe bucket as my contribution to the cache, in exchange for what I took from it.
It turns out that the next guy who visited that particular cache and took the floppy (which was OK) turned around and posted it on a geocaching site as his own.

Well, I sent an email to the editor/webmaster of that site along with a photograph of my computer screen with the same camera and a copy of the original and instructions for him to compare the three and to verify that they were all taken by the same camera.
The photo was then credited to me and the other guy banned for plagiarism.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What do you use the check the pic information? The photo program I use allows me to put all sorts of information into the pic. Conversations could be held between two people by simply altering the comments using the information setting and emailing it back and forth.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What do you use the check the pic information? The photo program I use allows me to put all sorts of information into the pic. Conversations could be held between two people by simply altering the comments using the information setting and emailing it back and forth.
A good online viewer that I use sometimes for comparison is EXIF Data Viewer
I've used different applications over the years..
I currently use one called "Exif Pilot", you can probably google it.
It's pretty neat to find all the technical data and it also allows you, if you're paranoid, to erase it completely, which I never do, because that info ws usefull to me before:smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Some of that Dhimwit **** is hillarious.

Naturally, all the bowing and scraping to the Muslim world didn't prevent Cameron from being burned in effigy:

The "prime minister" was quickly set aflame by image-conscious Pakistanis, who were concerned about Cameron's suggestion that their country was becoming radicalized.

Guess they showed him.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I realise that, so that is why I say that the data must be erased in the upload process with their software as some kind of protection, the same as if you upload a photo to your album in this forum and probably other vbulletin as well the exif data in your photo is replaced by the forum data as to the date size and other data,...the camera brand, model etc. is erased.
But not so, when a photo stored on photo bucket,image shack, flicker. etc is hot linked to the forum. Then the data remains intact.
So a lot of what ABC said while technically correct for certain web sites doesn't cover everything.
That data can be useful if I see a nice photo by someone who has the same type of camera I have. I can find out even if that person doesn't remember, all the settings he had for taking that picture.

It also came useful for me in 2000 when geocaching I placed some scenic pictures of the area, on a floppy disk in the geocahe bucket as my contribution to the cache, in exchange for what I took from it.
It turns out that the next guy who visited that particular cache and took the floppy (which was OK) turned around and posted it on a geocaching site as his own.

Well, I sent an email to the editor/webmaster of that site along with a photograph of my computer screen with the same camera and a copy of the original and instructions for him to compare the three and to verify that they were all taken by the same camera.
The photo was then credited to me and the other guy banned for plagiarism.
F!ckin' Geocahe'rs always waltzing through my lanes.