gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
they frickin whine about how they've been treated......and then pull this crap

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Genocide? And assimilation is not genocide. Not when Canadians are paying billions of dollars a year to support traditional corrupt native govts. Sovereignty? Not here.
I did say cultural genocide. For a hundred years they were stolen from their families and forced into residential schools and denied any contact with the traditions and language. That is intentional cultural genocide. Look it up. As for corrupt governments, they are not traditional, They are supposedly democratic and imposed on them by government. Traditional governments were mostly matriarchal or hereditary. Most decisions affecting the tribe were made by consensus. In some cultures, Chiefs were in charge of certain events like hunting or fishing and only held the title during those events.

No, you need to get above your prejudices and learn something about their culture. The corrupt band councils that they have today are not traditional but imposed by our society.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

I'd wade in, but I see that the bulk of the member contributing here, know everything.

So there really is no point to an open dialogue.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

I'd wade in, but I see that the bulk of the member contributing here, know everything.

So there really is no point to an open dialogue.

it may be anecdotal evidence because ive witnessed it, but last time i was at M'Chigeeng First Nation people wanted to fight me....

Up in Northern manitoba, especially around Thompson for example their was this bar fight i was told about. This white guy beat up a native in a fair bar fight in Snow lake. The native went to Thompson and grabbed his friends and killed the guy....

When i was in Whitehorse the natives were harrassing everyone in the city, i went to the projects in riverside to get some weed and was pretty much not addressed or ignored when i talked to anyone. They would stare at me when i said hello, wtf?The person who brought me there was a mixed breed, he was the only one who even talked to me... If i wasnt with him and went to the same area id probally had been stabbed

Northern BC Prince george going towards smither and after that towards terrace im not even going to begin...

like i said its only anecdotal because ive witnessed it, and i cant back it up with links..

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
it may be anecdotal evidence because ive witnessed it, but last time i was at M'Chigeeng First Nation people wanted to fight me....

Up in Northern manitoba, especially around Thompson for example their was this bar fight i was told about. This white guy beat up a native in a fair bar fight in Snow lake. The native went to Thompson and grabbed his friends and killed the guy....

When i was in Whitehorse the natives were harrassing everyone in the city, i went to the projects in riverside to get some weed and was pretty much not addressed or ignored when i talked to anyone. They would stare at me when i said hello, wtf?The person who brought me there was a mixed breed, he was the only one who even talked to me... If i wasnt with him and went to the same area id probally had been stabbed

Northern BC Prince george going towards smither and after that towards terrace im not even going to begin...

like i said its only anecdotal because ive witnessed it, and i cant back it up with links..
Dude!

My Dad is only 50%, card carrying Six Nations, my Mom, half French and half Danish. Not only do I have light skin, I have blue/green eyes. I was beat up on the reserve, because of that, i was beat up by non natives because I came from the reserve and identified as a Native. You're preaching to the choir on racism here.

I've been bullied, assaulted, shot at, and threatened by my own people.

It certainly isn't the majority that is doing it. It's a small vocal and active minority that are causing waves. With I might add, the approval of the Federal Gov't. This is exactly what they want, division.

It keeps the general public pissed at "injuns" and aids the Feds in dragging their feet with public support.

Thanx for following along.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
im just saying man, thats what i seen... The only native ive ever raised my fists too was this one kid in grade 6 i fought, because of school yard politics. Ive dont like fighting and im not going out for blood....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
im just saying man, thats what i seen... The only native ive ever raised my fists too was this one kid in grade 6 i fought, because of school yard politics. Ive dont like fighting and im not going out for blood....
I'm not arguing the fact that you're right or wrong, you are right, in the fact that racism permeates our lives.

It is oft projected at mere bystanders like yourself.

But it certainly isn't and shouldn't be a sweeping indictment of the entire Native community. Although, I can and will accept and expect that it will undoubtedly shape ones image. Especially when the negative is all you seem to experience.

I once hated all white people. Even now, my perception of Muslims, taints my opinion of them to the point where I would love nothing more then to ship them all home.

So I fully grasp and appreciate your feelings Johnny.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Genocide? And assimilation is not genocide. Not when Canadians are paying billions of dollars a year to support traditional corrupt native govts. Sovereignty? Not here.

Sadly, Cliffy is right on this one. (Not sad that Cliffy is right, but that the situation he describes is accurate.)

Treaties in Western Canada had one major motive - to get the aboriginal population out of the way. Aboriginals were forced into signing treaties pretty much at gunpoint and then ordered to remain on the reserves so that the White settlers could exploit the resources of the West. First Nations peoples were told that the government would provide everything they needed in order to survive. This promise was broken almost immediately with corrupt and uncaring government agents refusing to send food and other supplies to the new reserves. As a result many aboriginals died. In addition, the small plots of land allotted the aboriginal populations were clearly too small to be sustainable, especially given the fact that the original population would almost certainly increase.
Aboriginals were also told that if they adopted the ways of the White man then they would be accepted as equals. A number of bands actually attempted this. In southern Alberta, for example, several native bands took up farming and were quite successful at it. However, White farmers complained that agricultural competition from aboriginals was unfair and pressured the government into changing the law so that aboriginals attempting to practice farming were forced to do so without machinery or any modern equipment. Native bands were also forbidden to sell any agricultural production off the reserves. Needless to say the farming efforts of the various bands quickly disappeared.
A similar tactic was employed in BC where Native fishermen were not allowed to sell their fish on the open market. Instead they were required to sell to government buyers who offered them prices far below the market price.
Given tactics like this it is small wonder that many Native bands lapsed into apathy as it was obvious that no matter what they did, the government would simply change the rules.
Ironically, the reserve system has completely backfired, resulting in overcrowded rural and wilderness ghettos that are rife with crime and substance abuse as well as a host of social problems. It will almost certainly cost billions to fix a situation that should never have occurred in the first place.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm usually not much for conspiracy theories, but as for a comment in a post above about the Feds likely wanting to foment division between natives, I could certainly see that. I doubt the government went out of its way to try to foment such division, but I'm sure that when it does happen, they certainly lap it up. I remember talking to a member of the AFN in Ottawa some time ago and she was saying how the feds were trying to undermine the First Nations' land claims. Certainly anything that turns the public against the First Nations would work in the Federal Government's favour.

That said though, it would be difficult for the government itself to foment such division. For the most part, it's the Mohawks themselves for example who are causing the division with these racially-based policies and the government will just exploit it to their advantage.

Heck, even me. I sympathize with helping the First Nations trying to preserve their cultures when such a small minority island in a sea of a foreign culture. However, when an opportunity falls right into their lap and they not only chuck it away but even give it to the enemy, then it's pretty hard to sympathize with such stupidity. And I'm sure all rational First Nations must be angry as hell by the opportunity thrown away by this band council.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
once i learn russian and finnish to almost native fluency, im going to work on ojibwae, probally the nippissing dialect, but i aint going nowwhere near no ****ing mohawks

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I did say cultural genocide. For a hundred years they were stolen from their families and forced into residential schools and denied any contact with the traditions and language. That is intentional cultural genocide. Look it up. As for corrupt governments, they are not traditional, They are supposedly democratic and imposed on them by government. Traditional governments were mostly matriarchal or hereditary. Most decisions affecting the tribe were made by consensus. In some cultures, Chiefs were in charge of certain events like hunting or fishing and only held the title during those events.

No, you need to get above your prejudices and learn something about their culture. The corrupt band councils that they have today are not traditional but imposed by our society.

Indians also used to attack each other before the white man arrived. The Iroquois did a genuine genocide on the Huron over the fur trade in the late 17th century as they ceased to exist as a nation. However, fact is, aboriginal traditional life is over. Indians can now become Canadians, but many don't want to. However, the choices are quite slim otherwise.

There were some big time mistakes made in the past. Canadian govts were hopelessly brutal and clumsy regarding Indians. The old idea was, that you couldn't be an Indian and a Canadian. So force had to be used. Now Cdn govts more or less offer a hands off approach and the general public, benign neglect. It has limited understanding, but in this big impersonal, bureaucratic world, best we can do I guess.

Traditional family politics on reserves is a failure for so many aboriginals. It is doomed in a democratic country with the internet. Check it out, how many undemocratic countries are successful in the world today? I don't agree giving money to undemocratic govts, no matter where they are.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Sadly, Cliffy is right on this one. (Not sad that Cliffy is right, but that the situation he describes is accurate.)

Treaties in Western Canada had one major motive - to get the aboriginal population out of the way. Aboriginals were forced into signing treaties pretty much at gunpoint and then ordered to remain on the reserves so that the White settlers could exploit the resources of the West. First Nations peoples were told that the government would provide everything they needed in order to survive. This promise was broken almost immediately with corrupt and uncaring government agents refusing to send food and other supplies to the new reserves. As a result many aboriginals died. In addition, the small plots of land allotted the aboriginal populations were clearly too small to be sustainable, especially given the fact that the original population would almost certainly increase.
Aboriginals were also told that if they adopted the ways of the White man then they would be accepted as equals. A number of bands actually attempted this. In southern Alberta, for example, several native bands took up farming and were quite successful at it. However, White farmers complained that agricultural competition from aboriginals was unfair and pressured the government into changing the law so that aboriginals attempting to practice farming were forced to do so without machinery or any modern equipment. Native bands were also forbidden to sell any agricultural production off the reserves. Needless to say the farming efforts of the various bands quickly disappeared.
A similar tactic was employed in BC where Native fishermen were not allowed to sell their fish on the open market. Instead they were required to sell to government buyers who offered them prices far below the market price.
Given tactics like this it is small wonder that many Native bands lapsed into apathy as it was obvious that no matter what they did, the government would simply change the rules.
Ironically, the reserve system has completely backfired, resulting in overcrowded rural and wilderness ghettos that are rife with crime and substance abuse as well as a host of social problems. It will almost certainly cost billions to fix a situation that should never have occurred in the first place.

Aboriginals have gotten a raw deal, but they also got a raw deal from each other before Europeans arrived. They were ripped off, but is the govt ever going to take care of anyone forever? Seems time to get over promises that were never going to be kept to satisfy both sides.

Sure, Indians should get compensation, but how much? For how long? Indians right now get about $8000 per head per year from the federal govt. They are stuck on reserves with crappy education systems because modern education systems would challenge the authority of traditional govts. Which is corrupt families running reserves.

i say give the money to Indians personally for 5-15 years and then end all these programs that feed greedy people all to well.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I don't really disagree with you, Dump (that's a terrible shortening of your name BTW), I am just not sure how it can be done. There are almost a million status Indians in Canada and they are not all dependent upon the government for their survival. Even so it is going to be difficult dealing with those who are given that they were guaranteed the rights that they have in perpetuity. It is going to take a very good offer to get them to give up those rights. Of course, the government could do what it has done before and ignore or pass new legislation to eliminate the treaty rights. Somehow I don't think that would go down very well.

There really is nothing special about the way aboriginal people act in Canada. In almost all nations where one culture destroys another it takes generations for the culture that has been shattered to recover. The Aboriginals of the USA, Australia, New Zealand, and most of Latin America have the same problems.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I don't really disagree with you, Dump (that's a terrible shortening of your name BTW), I am just not sure how it can be done. There are almost a million status Indians in Canada and they are not all dependent upon the government for their survival. Even so it is going to be difficult dealing with those who are given that they were guaranteed the rights that they have in perpetuity. It is going to take a very good offer to get them to give up those rights. Of course, the government could do what it has done before and ignore or pass new legislation to eliminate the treaty rights. Somehow I don't think that would go down very well.

There really is nothing special about the way aboriginal people act in Canada. In almost all nations where one culture destroys another it takes generations for the culture that has been shattered to recover. The Aboriginals of the USA, Australia, New Zealand, and most of Latin America have the same problems.

I like dump.

Sure, many aboriginals live on their own just fine without asisstance from the govt or their aboriginal leaders. Plus, many get money from provincial welfare programs. More billions for very little good. Leaders need a constituency to stay in business.

Aboriginals will never recover, their former world is gone forever in all the countries you mentioned. They fight for legal rights that are no replacement for their destroyed culture. They cling to comfortable bureaucratic inertia. Over time, the push for democratic equal rights for all will override this. They are in transition.

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009
Aboriginals will never recover, their former world is gone forever in all the countries you mentioned. They fight for legal rights that are no replacement for their destroyed culture. They cling to comfortable bureaucratic inertia. Over time, the push for democratic equal rights for all will override this. They are in transition.

You've identified one of the biggest obstacles in advancing this discussion, that being the notion that a "former world" is gone forever. In reality, all cultures morph and evolve a little bit with each generation, often within a generation - just consider the impact that computers and the internet have changed the world and communities today. My point being - there are a myriad of outside influences that force that evolution.

I am not a member of any First Nations group and therefore I am on the outside looking in, however, on those occasions where I hear of the conflicts described by those vocal aboriginal groups, I am left with the impression that had Europeans not landed in the America's that these communities would have experienced some form of stasis like a frozen moment in time.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The Iroquois did a genuine genocide on the Huron over the fur trade in the late 17th century as they ceased to exist as a nation.
Like I said before, the people of Canada need a history lesson.

Traditional family politics on reserves is a failure for so many aboriginals. It is doomed in a democratic country with the internet. Check it out, how many undemocratic countries are successful in the world today? I don't agree giving money to undemocratic govts, no matter where they are.
Ditto...

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
So has there been any update to this story? Or have they still not allowed the white man in the reserve? Mohawks like our women and dont want them going near their women lol..... And we thought the whiteman was a sexist and racist...

Hey chief hows the white mans money and women treating you?

Last edited: