The Power of Positive Thinking to Reverse Aging!

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
TenPenny, you never miss a chance to take a shot do you? Why is that? We don't all know that is the case. I believe I have known SJP much much longer than you and I believe what he has to say.
Like him and CB, I too am all for empathy. What I'm not for is new comers to this land who impose their way of life on us by expecting us to change. It's time we all took a stance on this because we are about the only country that accepts such nonsense. I've never ever understood why people come to this country for a better life and then try to make it into the country they left. They will succeed as long as we continue to be so obliging. We bend over backwards to accomodate and they certainly accomodate us for doing so.

Good point, VI. Do you suppose that's why Canada is in a perpetual state of "identity crisis?" Well, maybe "crisis" is too strong a term...how about "identity-challenged?" :-|

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Good point, VI. Do you suppose that's why Canada is in a perpetual state of "identity crisis?" Well, maybe "crisis" is too strong a term...how about "identity-challenged?" :-|
Well, we natives are anyway. The feds are obfuscating about our status cards. Regular Canucks have their SIN cards, passports, & driver's licenses. :D We used to be able to cross the border using the status cards but not now until the gov't gets off its fat ass and issues new ones like they promised 5 years ago.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I didn't inquire as to his religion. It's never that important to me when I'm having conversations with people.

There is no need to inquire about his religion. If he had four wives, he must have been a Muslim. I doubt Malaysia would permit more than one wives to non Muslims.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
There is no need to inquire about his religion. If he had four wives, he must have been a Muslim. I doubt Malaysia would permit more than one wives to non Muslims.

Well shoot...I forgot to get the guy's address. Otherwise, I could contact him immediately and tell him that he made a mistake, according to the rules as laid out by yourself. Sorry, I really don't have the address.

The conversation took place early one morning as he was delivering a fresh load of produce to the hotel on the island of Penang, where I was staying. He explained that he had 5 houses situated close to each other, sectioned off on 5 different house lots on his farm property. I know for a fact that he said "FIVE" because he had a bit of a Chinese inflection in his pronounciation of the word five "phi" (like "fly" without the "L"). If he was a good Muslim (following the rules?), he might have said "Foe", which of course would be "Four."

Anyway, I have a pretty sharp ear for many different accents - particularly those in Asia - so I'm pretty sure I heard him right. What really helped make it clear was when he held up his hand with all four fingers and a thumb fully extended (and he hadn't suffered any visible amputations) and uttered the word "phi" when proudly describing how many wifes he had.

So you can continue to muse over the dilemma of how or why he had 5 wifes, but I don't really see the point, do you?

By the way, just for the record, the singular of "wives" is wife.

PS - Maybe he was an atheist. Is it OK for an atheist in Malyasia to have 5 wifes?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually, there seems to be various differences in the various forms of Islam as to what constitutes polygamy. Some say 4 is the limit, others don't specify a limit.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well, we natives are anyway. The feds are obfuscating about our status cards. Regular Canucks have their SIN cards, passports, & driver's licenses. :D We used to be able to cross the border using the status cards but not now until the gov't gets off its fat ass and issues new ones like they promised 5 years ago.
Well, I am part native but I have never attempted to get a status card. Probably won't get one because I am only 1/8. My Dad was born an American and never did become a Canadian citizen even though he lived here for nearly all of his life. Man, if my folks were alive today would be their 80th wedding anniversary. Blows me away!
Anyway, I have never checked into this but I have been told that since my Dad was an American, I can apply for dual status. Wonder if it would be worth it!!

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I think a person whose family was in Western Canada over century and didn't have Metis relatives would be hard to find!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I think a person whose family was in Western Canada over century and didn't have Metis relatives would be hard to find!
My thoughts exactly. The little I have found out about my gg grandfather (Cowichan Chief) is that he could have resided in Bountiful, BC he had so many wives. Just not exactly sure which one was my gg Grandma. Have a male cousin who got his Metis status though. I've never concerned myself with it.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It;s hard enough with one wife. With 5 wives it would be too hard.
I cannot imagine living in a house with that many "other" women! Although Grampa got kicked out of the bed tonight anyway. Our grandson is having a sleep over. He has a wicked cold and since he doesn't walk, I'm afraid he might roll out of the bed. I want to be there to keep an "eye" on him. He'll probably wake up in the morning and ask me if I can go sleep somewhere else! It's a king bed so hopefully, he won't really notice I'm there. He's too sick to go to school so it was just easier to have him stay. He thinks it's funny that Grampa has to sleep somewhere else. Grampa is a big man - I don't think the two of them would share well together.;-)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
"There's many a strife, 'twixt the bed and the wife!"
Buy a king size. Sometimes I wake up and I don't even know he's left the room! I feel like I have to travel a country mile just to say good-night!

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
It;s hard enough with one wife. With 5 wives it would be too hard.

Jeez, I'm having a bit of trouble resisting the temptation...but no, I'm a country gentleman and just won't take the bait. Whew...that took some willpower...

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I cannot imagine living in a house with that many "other" women! Although Grampa got kicked out of the bed tonight anyway. Our grandson is having a sleep over. He has a wicked cold and since he doesn't walk, I'm afraid he might roll out of the bed. I want to be there to keep an "eye" on him. He'll probably wake up in the morning and ask me if I can go sleep somewhere else! It's a king bed so hopefully, he won't really notice I'm there. He's too sick to go to school so it was just easier to have him stay. He thinks it's funny that Grampa has to sleep somewhere else. Grampa is a big man - I don't think the two of them would share well together.;-)

VI - No, no! It was 5 wives but in 5 separate houses!!!