What is Pride?

pfrattali

Sep 6, 2009
seekgod.bravehost.com
Pride happens when we get caught up in trying to get other people to 'admire', 'like', 'love', or 'accept' us. We try to dodge rejection from others at all cost. In other words, through our insecurity, we try to 'coerce' or 'force' others to 'admire', 'like', 'love', or 'accept' us.

When we realize that God's love IS ALL WE NEED and that His love truly satisfies our need for acceptance, insecurity (which feeds pride) melts away from us. The more we realize and experience God's love (through Jesus Christ), the less insecure we become. We need to be open to receive God's love as we truly seek Him from our hearts. His love can bring us total security, to the point where we become FEARLESS.

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear: because fear has torment. He that fears is not made perfect in love." I John 4:18

Pride is a 'defense mechanism' for feelings of rejection. Pride and arrogance are feelings we allow ourselves to fall into because of the delusion that somehow others (anyone but God) will completely satisfy our need to be accepted and loved. This will never happen! We completely lose sight of our need for God's love.

Pride will always say, "Are you rejecting me? Well, I'll show you!!" And on and on we try to get other people's attention to prove a point, or try to be right and make ourselves look better than our neighbor. At the same time your neighbor is likely feeling the same thing toward you, and as a result you get striving and contentions, bitterness, envies and jealousies! THIS IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF ENERGY, causing unnecessary stress as we try to 'prove' something to others!! This is the fast track to 'aging' and eventual 'death'.

"Where do wars and fights among you come from? Come they not from your lusts that war in your bodies? You lust, and have not: you kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: you fight and war, yet you have not, because you ask not. You ask, and receive not, because you ask amiss, that you may consume it upon your lusts. You adulterers and adulteresses, know you not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. Do you think that the scripture says in vain, 'The spirit that dwells in us lusts to envy? But God gives more grace. Therefore He says, 'God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.'

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. Speak not evil one of another, brothers. He that speaks evil of his brother, and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law, and judges the law: but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law, but a judge." James 4:1-11

Parents, learn to love your children and impart unto them security! Be wise by teaching them (at the earliest possible age) to love God and seek Him with all their hearts. It will likely avoid delinquency from taking root in your children, and save you from much heartache later in life.

The more self-sufficient/self-reliable a person perceives himself/herself to be, the prouder he/she becomes. That person loses sight of God and the ability to completely trust God with their lives and all things pertaining to life. This is why God always admonishes us to humble ourselves before Him at all times!

"If My people who are called by My name will HUMBLE themselves, and PRAY and SEEK MY FACE, and turn from their evil ways, then I will hear from Heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land". I Chronicles 7:14

God hates pride & arrogance. Try to avoid these at all cost! The best way to deal with pride is to spend time with God daily seeking Him and studying His Word. Learn to strengthen your faith in His love for you! Develop a strong faith that He does truly love you and accepts you unconditionally, and never lose sight of this fact!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I thought it was a group of lions in late summer.

Well, strictly speaking, a pride is really composed of lionesses, the male lions are only guests there, until such time as other males inevitably attack them and drive them out. A male would stay with the pride typically for 1 or 2 years (before he is killed or driven out by other males), the female stays in the pride throughout her life.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well, strictly speaking, a pride is really composed of lionesses, the male lions are only guests there, until such time as other males inevitably attack them and drive them out. A male would stay with the pride typically for 1 or 2 years (before he is killed or driven out by other males), the female stays in the pride throughout her life.

Doesn't matter where you go - Males dying over women.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Strictly speaking, a pride is mostly females and cubs and juvenile males. Try sticking to stuff you know something about.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Strictly speaking, a pride is mostly females and cubs and juvenile males. Try sticking to stuff you know something about.
Anna g

You strike me as the type of woman that men would fight over - it is a compliment - I always respect a strong woman.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Pride is when you can tie your own shoelaces and freshen your own disposal equipment without mummys help. These accomplishments made me positivly beam with pride. The rewards have been innumerable.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Pride is when you can tie your own shoelaces and freshen your own disposal equipment without mummys help. These accomplishments made me positivly beam with pride. The rewards have been innumerable.
Watch the gramma Drama man

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I was wondering about that too, Goober. :smile:
Literal and interpretation - Thats where man Fuxks it up - The Bible is pretty straight forward for those that can think.

Problem with humans - to many fingers.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Anna g

You strike me as the type of woman that men would fight over - it is a compliment - I always respect a strong woman.
Well, I don't know about strong, but I can sure run, play soccer, and hike. :D
Um, ty for the compliment.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
Through the effects of sin compounding, pride begets other sins as well. Once an individual becomes self centered in his pride, he seeks out external stimuli and acceptance. Jesus spoke of this manifestation in John.5,41:

39 "You search the Scriptures, for you think that in them you have everlasting life, and they are the very writings that testify about Me. 40 Yet you will not come to Me in order to have life. 41 I do not seek honor among men, 42 but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43 For I have come in the name of My Father, and yet you do not welcome Me. If another comes in his own name, you will welcome him. 44 How can you believe, you who take honor from one another, but do not seek the honor that is from the only God?

Andy

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
So is God unhappy when I take pride in doing something well -
Yes. Has servants, we obtain true happiness through knowing we please God. We can feel happiness in the service we successfully accomplished, as happiness is a spiritual gift of God as a partial reward for a job well done. But has the op says, pride's effects are self serving. We cannot make use of anything for a good that doesn't already belong to God. In other words what can we credit to ourselves as an offering to God if the material,tools,skill,intellect we use to create a product doesn't belong to us, a product that belongs to God antecedent of it's creation.? This reality is a humbling thought indeed.

We need to remember always that we are spirits here on this planet encased in this material shell and we are destined for higher things. We need to detract of the enticements of this world and seek spiritual things rather than the empirical, even to the point of denying self, which coming full circle has the effect of ridding oneself of the temptation of pride.

Andy

Last edited: