What Do You Love About Canada? (And What Don't You Love?)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'm just going to quote wifey here:
If I believed in countries and stuff I'd say my Canadian identity is that I was born here. My education has been a Canadian one. No other country is like Canada. Right down to the variety of people shown in the demographics, Canada is distinct. We are generally a peaceful people for one thing. That alone distinguishes us from other countries like England, China, Japan, USA, Russia, Israel, Viet Nam, etc. We are a relatively northern people. That narrows the field down even more. We are fairly technologically advanced - the field narrows further. We are slightly on the liberal side of center. We are good samaritans and help people in need. And so on. We are what we are, which is a combination of all the factors I have mentioned and more. We are a specific type of mutt. :iconbiggrin: No other people have that combination of factors. Perhaps we are mediocre, perhaps not. Do we excel in some things? I think so. We've produced some pretty fine poets, scientists, medicine people, etc. and we still have people becoming prominent.
Superficial? Hardly. Superficial would be branding us as a mixed bag of colors with nothing to distinguish one of our cultures from another. Only someone that cannot think would not be able to say what we are.
- AG

TMan

Dec 7, 2009
Good: Canada is the greatest country in the world.
Worst: Quebec is still a part of Canada.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Good: We are a caring people who welcome foreigners to our land.

Bad: We'll let anybody in.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
What I love about Canada.
Good: The CFL
Bad: TSN broadcasts of CFL games.

If you watch the game, but turn down the volume, and listen on team1040, (our local one in Vancouver), the broadcast is much moreknowledgeable and interesting, as long as voice and picture are same.Can't stand Rod Black doing any sports at all.I've tried to do that with nhl games, but they are not melding into each other properly, so it doesn't work.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Good: Curling on TV
Bad: TSN doing the broadcasting

(Thanks for the reminder, Mowich)

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I love when Canadians use EEEh and You Know when they talk.

I really hate the rats in Alberta

Both of them? (the rats)... :smile:

Good: The colorful language(s) of Newfoundland
Bad: I can only understand some of it (less, in a bar!)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If you watch the game, but turn down the volume, and listen on team1040, (our local one in Vancouver), the broadcast is much moreknowledgeable and interesting, as long as voice and picture are same.Can't stand Rod Black doing any sports at all.I've tried to do that with nhl games, but they are not melding into each other properly, so it doesn't work.

It is not the commentators that bug me, talloola, it is the video broadcast. I learned to tune out most commentators long ago. TSN is using the same camera techniques they do when broadcasting NFL games, I know, I checked. In the NFL, for some reason, fans like to have eternal close-ups of the coaches faces, or the guys on the field. They also concentrate on field close-ups instead of showing the entire field.
I couldn't care less about seeing the coaches face during a game, even our dear Rider coach, Ken Miller can wait till half-time or after the game. Likewise, I am not interested in seeing every little grimace on a players face after a play or the camera stuck in the face of receiver who just ran the ball back for 60 yards and is catching his breath.
Give me the broadcasts of CBC with their overview of the field so one can see the sidelines and know where the ball is being placed. Give me on field action every second of the game, as the action doesn't always stop when the ball is whistled dead. TSN just doesn't deliver.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Good: Canada is the greatest country in the world.
Worst: Quebec is still a part of Canada.

I have noticed one thing in this tread. While posters have posted what is good about Canada, nobody has really been able to come up with something really bad about Canada. When I posted that I really cannot think of anything bad (about Canada), most posters seem to be in agreement.

No doubt there have been scandals, injustices etc. in Canada. However, there is very little that is institutionally, intrinsically bad about Canada.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I have noticed one thing in this tread. While posters have posted what is good about Canada, nobody has really been able to come up with something really bad about Canada. When I posted that I really cannot think of anything bad (about Canada), most posters seem to be in agreement.

No doubt there have been scandals, injustices etc. in Canada. However, there is very little that is institutionally, intrinsically bad about Canada.

Or it could be that this forum is just loaded with a bunch of patriotic positive people that don't like to dwell on the negatives. Whatever the reason, I agree, there are lots of good things we can be proud of here in Canuck-land. :canada:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Good: We have a big country with tons of natural resources

Bad: We don't use those resources to establish ourselves as the world leader in environmental stewardship (which, if done right, could become our own "economic miracle", a la Japan with cars and electronics)