First Nations Treaties

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Treaties are legally binding agreements between the government of Canada(people) and the respective First Nations period, there should be no argument there.

Of course there should. If any signatory does not act in good faith, Canada should ignore the treaty. When Germany started executing homosexuals, Joos, Gypsies and artists any treaty we had with Germany should have been reviewed. When the USSR started executing people trying to jump over the Berlin wall, any treaty we had with the USSR should have been reviewed. When Saudi Arabia wanted to flog Rozanna al-Yami, any treaty we had with Saudi Arabia should have been reviewed. Any aboriginal "nation" that participates in a apartheid type governing system should have its treaty's reviewed. If Canada truly believes in freedom, equality and democracy then it should defend those ideals in thought, word and deed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Any aboriginal "nation" that participates in a apartheid type governing system should have its treaty's reviewed. If Canada truly believes in freedom, equality and democracy then it should defend those ideals in thought, word and deed.
That would be nice, if Canada wasn't the one setting the scale and the standard for race recognition. And hadn't, in antiquity set up a system that endorsed and cultivated it ..;-)

Ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That would be nice, if Canada wasn't the one setting the scale and the standard for race recognition. And hadn't, in antiquity set up a system that endorsed and cultivated it ..;-)

Hey, Care Bear, double standards is what we thrive on.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I haven't said that the Canadian government hasn't created much of the problem....again with the finger pointing...tsk tsk.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Of course there should. If any signatory does not act in good faith, Canada should ignore the treaty. When Germany started executing homosexuals, Joos, Gypsies and artists any treaty we had with Germany should have been reviewed. When the USSR started executing people trying to jump over the Berlin wall, any treaty we had with the USSR should have been reviewed. When Saudi Arabia wanted to flog Rozanna al-Yami, any treaty we had with Saudi Arabia should have been reviewed. Any aboriginal "nation" that participates in a apartheid type governing system should have its treaty's reviewed. If Canada truly believes in freedom, equality and democracy then it should defend those ideals in thought, word and deed.

What Apartheid are you talking about. Canada has national borders to try to protect its culture among other things. It's only natural that First Nations want their own land to preserve their culture too. It's interesting that you put 'nation' in quotes while talking about respecting treaties, seeing that the treaties themselves were recognized as international treaties.

As for the comment on Apartheid, there is thus no difference between First Nations land claims and imposed self-segregation in Canada through our borders and department of immigration and border guards. So are we an Apartheid nation too?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I haven't said that the Canadian government hasn't created much of the problem....again with the finger pointing...tsk tsk.
I'm not pointing fingers, I'm pointing out facts that you omitted.

We as a collective people are not exclusionary, but that is not to say that certain segments are all that inclusive. To pin the balme entirely on us, as your post would seem to do is a lie. The system you balk at was not created by us, but you just tried to apply the weight of it to us. That's not fair and I suspect you know that.

I would ask though, what about our community is apartheid like?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Well, seeing that I'm not a status Indian myself, I suppose that my arguments against European Canadians is in fact pointing the finger at myself, being mostly of European ethnicity myself.

I'm not saying the First Nations have no responsibility to take for themselves. I am able to admit though that with Canada being predominantly of European culture, any First Nation intent on preserving and developing his culture has a much steeper hill to climb than we do. And considering our history, though we might not owe them money per se beyond what is required in the treaties, we do have an obligation to at least recognize that their culture ought to have predominance in our laws over ours. Let's make no mistake that our laws are unquestionably written in our favour.

So just as First Nations ought to look at themselves in the mirror,perhaps we ought to look at ourselves too. Stop throwing money at them and instead start recognizing their languages and culture in the law as equal in status to ours. If we did that, we wouldn't need to give them any more money. In fact, until we do that, throwing money at them does nothing to help their case since the laws themselves are stacked against them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

So....since Canada has not acted in "good faith" throughout most of the treaty negotiations AND when it comes to upholding treaties that have already been signed, what do you propose....that the First Nations people take back their land and kick "whitey" out?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
We as a collective people are not exclusionary, but that is not to say that certain segments are all that inclusive.

LOL right.

I wish I had $10 every time I read I read a comment from you where you referred to "my people". I've never ever even considered calling Scots "my people". In fact most people would cringe if a WASP said publicly something so silly.

To pin the balme entirely on us, as your post would seem to do is a lie. The system you balk at was not created by us, but you just tried to apply the weight of it to us.

The system was not created by aboriginals and I don't believe that. To take that from one post is dishonest. Dishonesty is the first sign of a failing argument.

The system is being maintained, in large part by the aboriginal community and more specifically by the aboriginal leadership...and why not it's a gravy train for them. The aboriginal lobby is just another in a long line of special interest groups sucking off the public tit. I really don't give a rat's ass how they got there. At issue is how to get them off.

I would ask though, what about our community is apartheid like?

The whole system is race based. A guy from China can move to Canada, become a full fledged citizen and have all the rights as any other person in Canada. The same can not be said of most aboriginal "nations"

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So....since Canada has not acted in "good faith" throughout most of the treaty negotiations AND when it comes to upholding treaties that have already been signed, what do you propose....that the First Nations people take back their land and kick "whitey" out?

They can do whatever they wish to do. If they want to tear up the treaties, that is their prerogative as a nation.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Hey, now you're proposing common standards there. What ever happened to the benefits of double standards might makes right?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
  • And considering our history, though we might not owe them money per se beyond what is required in the treaties, we do have an obligation to at least recognize that their culture ought to have predominance in our laws over ours.

No we don't. Preserving culture is one of the biggest problem creators. All one has to do is look at the problems culture has caused around the world. Anybody remember Kosovo?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
LOL right.

I wish I had $10 every time I read I read a comment from you where you referred to "my people". I've never ever even considered calling Scots "my people". In fact most people would cringe if a WASP said publicly something so silly.

The system was not created by aboriginals and I don't believe that. To take that from one post is dishonest. Dishonesty is the first sign of a failing argument.

The system is being maintained, in large part by the aboriginal community and more specifically by the aboriginal leadership...and why not it's a gravy train for them. The aboriginal lobby is just another in a long line of special interest groups sucking off the public tit. I really don't give a rat's ass how they got there. At issue is how to get them off.

The whole system is race based. A guy from China can move to Canada, become a full fledged citizen and have all the rights as any other person in Canada. The same can not be said of most aboriginal "nations"

Although I may be called a racist in hypocritcal way for saying such things.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
They can do whatever they wish to do. If they want to tear up the treaties, that is their prerogative as a nation.

and they have chosen to have the treaties enforced by the courts rather than tearing them up and those where Canada has not negotiated in good faith have again chosen to take Canada to court to force Canada to negotiate in good faith. Sounds far more Adult to me than your proposal of tearing them up.....but then.... not tearing up the treaties does not allow you and those of your mindset to take what is not yours for no payment.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
You might think so. Personally I think that given the choice, most would simply choose to join Canada. We wouldn't have to force anything on anybody.

About as easy as getting someone on welfare since birth to join the workforce.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
and they have chosen to have the treaties enforced by the courts rather than tearing them up and those where Canada has not negotiated in good faith have again chosen to take Canada to court to force Canada to negotiate in good faith. Sounds far more Adult to me than your proposal of tearing them up.....but then.... not tearing up the treaties does not allow you and those of your mindset to take what is not yours for no payment.

Silly, silly Gerry

I'm not interested in taking anything. If Aboriginal "nations" want to opt out of Canada, far from taking away from them, I say we give them an extra bit of land as a going away present.

Now if you consider removing the government tit "taking away" then, I supposed you could call me guilty. However, I believe allowing and encouraging people to be self sufficient is "giving to them" and not "taking away"