Sikhs Allowed To Carry Kirpan (knives) To Olympic Events

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Don't change the subject, Goober. We were discussing if I was right about Sikhism, and I was.
SJP
You are never wrong - no - Nor even mistaken - you can always find a way out with your resoning - a Houdini and Clinton at escaping what was said - - what the fuk eh.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
That is how freedom of religion works, dumpthemonarchy.

This is a dated view of freedom of religion when the idea of a secular society was not as prominent or important as it is now. No religious group should trump over another, and that is what you get here. Most of us don't put up with prayers before public gatherings any more. So why should we let one individual in a group carry a knife? Or change the uniform of a public police force?

Taxpayer funded bodies should not waste expensive management time discussing religious issues. The principle of Ockam's razor should apply here, the simplest solution is the best, no one can carry a knife around.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I don’t think we are importing anything from India. What we are doing is trying to make a reasonable effort to accommodate the beliefs of a religious minority; I don’t see anything wrong with that.

As to Sikhs begin treated like dirt in India, you are totally wrong here. Sure Hindus have a caste system; India in general has plenty of problems. But one feature of India, perhaps unique to a third world country is that many religions coexist peacefully there. Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists, Zoroastrians (they even have a small population of Jews). Sure, there are occasional flare ups, but by and large, many religious communities manage to live peacefully in India.

And Sikhs do very well in India. Most of the Sikhs live in the state of Punjab, which is the most prosperous state in India. Sikhs by and large are quite well off in India. They have freedom of religion. They even have a Sikh as the Prime Minister.

So sure India has plenty of problems, but to claim that Sikhs are treated like dirt in India is total nonsense.

I said Sikhs have to fight not to be treated like dirt. Like many other groups. Sikhs have succeeded while other groups like the Dalit, the lowest caste untouchables, have failed, and are treated like dirt. Do we believe in keeping people-Canadians, in a lower caste? We don't believe in this in Canada. So I think we should practice our beliefs here, show evidence we are progressives and treat everyone equally.

Few Indians, a few more in Canada, are modern progressives. It takes generations to shed useless beliefs, and the politically correct wish to ignore these facts. A country where honour killings are still practiced.

The basic difference I have here, is that I don't consider letting one group or persons to wear a knife, a weapon, as a reasonable accomodation.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hey, I always carry a pocket knife with me and no one is going to stop me.
Hubby does, too, and it's sharper than Occam's (or Ockham's) razor. lol
DTM, so you think Indian's practise useless beliefs?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SJP
You are never wrong - no - Nor even mistaken - you can always find a way out with your resoning - a Houdini and Clinton at escaping what was said - - what the fuk eh.

OK, then we are agreed that what I said was pretty much on the mark (that Sikhism does not have caste system, but some Sikhs may practice it anyway, without the support from their Holy Book, the Granth Sahib).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Few Indians, a few more in Canada, are modern progressives. It takes generations to shed useless beliefs, and the politically correct wish to ignore these facts. A country where honour killings are still practiced.

Again, total misconception. You are confusing Indians (who are predominantly Hindu) with Muslims. Honor killings occur among the Muslims, they are rare among the Hindus (there have been some instances of bride burning in India, however).

As to Indians here in Canada, most of them are progressive, at least all the ones I know anyway. They do not insist on arranged marriages any more, if the youngsters want to find their own mate, that is OK by them. I was told that there are websites where Indian youngsters can hook up, with the object of matrimony.

We know an Indian Internist, his daughter married a Chinese, he was OK with that, they celebrated the wedding in a big way. Daughter of another married a Caucasian. Indeed, there are many intermarriages in the Indian community here. Indian community here is very progressive.

Again, you probably are confusing Indians with Muslims.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Don't change the subject, Goober. We were discussing if I was right about Sikhism, and I was.
SJPYour are wrong - Many Sikhs still practice this - also in your reply could you define : "Some" you should have no problem as you defined few and very few - so have at her - Read the article - do some research - and deflate your pompous behind.http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world-news/upper-caste-sikhs-denied-membership-of-dalit-temple-in-canada_10071673.htmlVancouver, July 15 (IANS) In a strange case of reverse caste discrimination, two upper-caste Jat Sikhs have been denied membership of a gurdwara run by the Dalit Indo-Canadians in the city of Burnaby near here. Gurshinder Sahota and Sohan Shergill, who had applied for membership of the Shri Guru Ravidass Sabha Temple in February 2007, were rejected by the management reportedly without giving any reason.Aggrieved, the two upper caste Sikhs moved the provincial British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal, alleging that they had been discriminated against on the basis of their caste. They argued that the temple was promoting the evil caste system which stood against Sikh tenets.But in a recent decision, the tribunal rejected their complaint, citing its earlier ruling on a similar dispute about native Indians who are also called First Nations. Being a minority group, the tribunal said, the Dalit management of the temple was entitled to restrict membership to its group.Since fierce fights for control of gurdwaras are quite common in Canada, a Dalit leader said his group feared that Sahota and Shergill might try to seize control of the temple in the long run.Added Dalit spokesman Jai Birdi: “These two men used to come to our gurdwara from North Vancouver. For the past four or five years, Sahota and Shergill have been organizing functions in memory of Raja Nadh Singh. We have never had any problem with this.”But the trouble started when Sahota and Shergill applied for membership of the temple last year.“When we rejected their applications, they went to the human rights panel which then asked us to file a reply. And now it has ruled in our favour. We feel empowered. But these two men, like anyone from the upper castes, is welcome to visit our temple,” said Birdi.Built in 1982, the Shri Guru Ravidass Sabha Temple has over 900 Dalit members. The temple houses the Sikhs’ holy Guru Granth which also features hymns of 15th-century Dalit saint Ravidass.Interestingly, casteism is pretty rampant in the Indo-Canadian community here.Citing a few cases, Birdi says: “In the first case that made headlines here, an upper-caste taxi driver used the word Chamar against a fellow driver. He said something like: `You Chamar, get lost.’ In another case, an upper-case man changed the name of his fellow Dalit security guard (on the company’s slip) from Sami Toora to Sami Churha. And a third case involved a Dalit truck driver who was publicly humiliated by an upper-caste driver on some union matters.”Surprisingly, Dalits have been in Canada for more than a century, with records showing their first arrival here in 1906.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Sorry Goober, but I refuse to be side tracked. The thread is about the Olympic Committee’s policy towards kirpan and that is all I am going got discuss. If you want to discuss what a bad lot Sikhs are, post a separate thread and I will be happy to discuss that with you.

I don’t want his thread to become a Sikh bashing thread. We are discussing the kirpan policy here.

Anyway, bye for now.
I think it is Fantastic that Canada will allow the Sikhs to carry their Kirpan knifes to the Olympics. Great crowd pleasers.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SJPYour are wrong - Many Sikhs still practice this - also in your reply could you define : "Some" you should have no problem as you defined few and very few - so have at her - Read the article - do some research - and deflate your pompous.

Showing that Sikhs practice caste system does not refute my argument, goober. What I have said is that Sikhism does not have caste system, but some Sikhs practice it anyway, contrary to the teaching of their religion.

So showing that some Sikhs practice caste system is in line with my argument. If you want to refute my argument, show me where the caste system is permitted in the Granth Sahib (that is the Bible of the Sikhs).

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You use sweeping generalizations to condemn anyone who disagrees with you, and then you get your shorts in a knot about how anything that your precious friends do is not indicative of the majority.

You're cute, you are.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Hey, I always carry a pocket knife with me and no one is going to stop me.

This sort of thing gets me. In the glove compartment of my car I have pocket/swiss army knife with a fork, scissors and other tools on it. It has come in handy. I think this is okay and so does everyone else. This is an acceptable custom among Canadians.

But you would have to hand the pocket knife over if you wanted to see an event at the Olympics, and I wouldn't expect to bring my pocket/swiss knives into a venue either.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Hubby does, too, and it's sharper than Occam's (or Ockham's) razor. lol
DTM, so you think Indian's practise useless beliefs?

Yes. Because I see no material existence for religion, I see belief in religion as useless. It had a use in previous ignorant, dark ages, but now, it is obsolete. So the state should keep it's distance from it. Religion ought to be shunned by modern people.

All religious books are works of fiction, as real as UFOs with as much physical evidence. Zero. Zip. Nil. Null. Nothing. Nada.