Drunken Breast Feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Then there would be a refference number added to the police report indicating that there was another investigation going on related to this on. As for squawking, I squawk at Kerrie all the time here and else where. What the hell is it to you?:-|

Being a little nosy, and curious I checked through the posts right from the beginning and thought everything was more or less civil up to and including this one and then it got derailed. No woman deserves to be called a "douche bag". As far as "FAS" and breast feeding while under the influence are concerned, I, IMHO would say there is a close connection in that they are both part of the early stage of maternity, so I wouldn't call jumping from one to the other, getting off the subject to any great degree. But then I'm a man - what the hell do I know?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The paper doesn't say why she has a criminal record ...
It could be for any number of things totally unrelated to drinking.

but it does say the boyfriend hasn't been charged.

Yeah why does it say that he hasn't been charged but nothing about why?

why is she known to the police?

Because of the criminal record.

They don't just take kids without due cause.

Cops don't just walk up and start tasering people to death either. Well, in fact some have, so I guess we can't say cops don't just do something can we?

Newspapers and police reports don't fill in all the details ... but they sure wouldn't make what they did public if there wasn't more to it.

That's right, they don't. But the police report is there in it's entirety. So that is what there is to form an opinion on.

I said FAS is possible.

In context, FAS is impossible to get from breast feeding. Unless you would like to show something that supports such a ridiculous claim...

You ran with that.

Was that what you wanted?

Violence is also possible.

A lot of things are possible, which is why police are supposed to gather evidence.
Instead it was left to the opinion of the arresting officer. Not that evidence was impossible to gather, just that it was not gathered.

Alcohol in breast milk is very likely.

Alcohol in cough syrup is a fact. I haven't seen any arrests down at the pharmacy today. Why is it on one hand so dangerous that we need to take someone's kid away and jail them for five years, and on the other hand, sell it over the counter to parents of children along with a slick advertising campaign. Doesn't it seem contradictory to you?

Assumption? What's it matter? She'll be sober when she gets the kid back.

It matters because breaching the laws regarding personal freedom is a serious matter. Well maybe only to some of us at the moment, but all of us eventually.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
No...FAS is off topic.

Knock knock...HELLO...anybody home??????

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
ROFLMAO..... still going off on tangents I see.... or did you not bother to read past the title.

Well you know, if you can't refute the facts, do something else to distract from that little problem.

Have a good one mate, I'm going out to dinner.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
...In context, FAS is impossible to get from breast feeding. Unless you would like to show something that supports such a ridiculous claim....

Did I say anywhere FAS comes from breast feeding? That's just your highly inaccurate interpretation. I did say if she's that unconcerned that she's feeding and caring for a baby while she's drinking, the chances are pretty good that she was drinking during the pregnancy - where FAS DOES take root.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
.........Alcohol in cough syrup is a fact. I haven't seen any arrests down at the pharmacy today. Why is it on one hand so dangerous that we need to take someone's kid away and jail them for five years, and on the other hand, sell it over the counter to parents of children along with a slick advertising campaign. Doesn't it seem contradictory to you?
There isn't a great deal of alcohol in cough syrup for kids and if the instructions are followed correctly the kid would be likely be safe.
Coughs and Cough Syrup
The woman has been jailed for 5 tears? I missed that part. I thought that was just the POSSIBLE outcome.

It matters because breaching the laws regarding personal freedom is a serious matter. Well maybe only to some of us at the moment, but all of us eventually.
Yup, and the States were doing ok for a while until a variety of factors such as overzealous authority types went too far, economic difficulties increased the caseload of alcohol related reports, etc. etc.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
ROFLMAO..... still going off on tangents I see.... or did you not bother to read past the title.
Tangents? You're nuts, too. Are you two related? lol Just kidding.

I think it's the second sentence in the article:

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In most states a showing of harm to the child is a prerequisite for coercive intervention in child abuse or neglect proceedings. But legislatures and courts frequently assume that parental alcohol or drug misuse inevitably entails harm to the child.[/FONT]" So we should quit and let parents do what they will?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Tangents? You're nuts, too. Are you two related? lol Just kidding.

I think it's the second sentence in the article:

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In most states a showing of harm to the child is a prerequisite for coercive intervention in child abuse or neglect proceedings. But legislatures and courts frequently assume that parental alcohol or drug misuse inevitably entails harm to the child.[/FONT]" So we should quit and let parents do what they will?

The article you posted is ALL about cocaine, with emphasis on crack cocaine. The header for Alcohol has 3 dots after and that is all. There is NO research in that article that pertains to alcohol. It looks to me like they stuck that into the title and the pre-amble for effect and effect only.

Posting that article in support of your argument against alcohol consumption by breast feeding mothers is a strawman.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The article you posted is ALL about cocaine, with emphasis on crack cocaine. The header for Alcohol has 3 dots after and that is all. There is NO research in that article that pertains to alcohol. It looks to me like they stuck that into the title and the pre-amble for effect and effect only.

Posting that article in support of your argument against alcohol consumption by breast feeding mothers is a strawman.
Here, I will spell it out for you, there is a problem with the legal system in the States and whether you like it or not, alcohol is bad just like cocaine and whatever other drug you can mention, I was addresssing the problem that their legal system is having with the issue and this, "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In most states a showing of harm to the child is a prerequisite for coercive intervention in child abuse or neglect proceedings. But legislatures and courts frequently assume that parental alcohol or drug misuse inevitably entails harm to the child.[/FONT]" , in a nutshell outlines the problem that the legal system has with abusive parents.
I am sorry you can't seem to make the connection between mothers, booze, babies, cops, and the law.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I have no problem making the connection presented in the OP...it wasn't me that brought up FAS out of the blue, and then stuck in an article that is ALL about cocaine abuse.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I have no problem making the connection presented in the OP...it wasn't me that brought up FAS out of the blue, and then stuck in an article that is ALL about cocaine abuse.
Good for you.
Then you'll remember that cops (mentioned in the OP) are part of the same legal system that's having a problem about when to intervene in familial situations (the REAL topic of the article I posted) like that outlined in the OP, right?
Still dragging FAS around with you? tsk tsk

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Good for you.
Then you'll remember that cops (mentioned in the OP) are part of the same legal system that's having a problem about when to intervene in familial situations (the REAL topic of the article I posted) like that outlined in the OP, right?
Still dragging FAS around with you? tsk tsk

The OP states that the police intervened and the child aprehended because of multiple concerns with the fact that she was drunk while breast feeding the child in front of the police as being only one factor. There didn't seem to be any "problem" as far as the police were concerned and in this case she pleaded guilty to the charges. I am sure her lawyer knew about other cases from other states where women have been "let go" when it came to breast feeding and alcohol consumption, and the fact that she did plead guilty leads me to believe that the breast feeding was minor or inconsequential to the reason's for the apprehension of the child and the charges.

As for Breast feeding while consuming alcohol, there have been no studies done on this at all. All "data" has been ancedotal as to the effects of alcohol on breast feeding babies. Since there is no hard data, recomendations fall from complete abstention to a maximum of one or 2 glasses per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.