Farmer Shoots at Thief

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The Sussex guy thought the vehicle was beetling down the road by itself and there was no-one in it? Awesome

I never said that. From what I saw in the article, the vehicle was parked and the person was hiding in the front seat. I also said that there were differences between the two cases.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Somebody better tell my garden and berry trees they don't exist because I live urban. I doubt they would believe you.

Where the guy from AB crossed the line was his intent. Did he intend to merely protect his property by smashing his car into his ATV rendering them useless or was his intent to commit a crime that goes far beyond theft? The laws are clear about intent and this is why this guy will do time. Not for what he did but his intent in doing what he did.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Living in this rural area for some is NOT a choice. For our own sanity we moved here. Perhaps you can handle the foul air, constant crime, food from plastic, noise, etc. but not everyone is built like you. Just where do you think most food comes from? Cities? Someone has to grow it and do that in high quantity. You want cranberry juice? Try growing those in a city. Spuds? Fish?
Les, you have just confirmed that it is a choice. You say you live there for your own sanity. I wouldn't mind living on the fringes of my city but the property is too expensive. You kind of chose the wrong person by citing what you have. For one thing - remember that I work at a grocery store. You live in BC. Do you think that most of our produce actually gets to the store from BC farms? I wish! It's either from California or Mexico! When we do get BC produce it is advertized highly. People will and do pay the extra price just to buy "local". Fish? Les - the ocean is within a few moments drive from my house. We have lots of local lakes and rivers as well. (we own a boat and we can go fishing). Have you ever been to Nanaimo and driven around a little. We can drive for about 5 min. or so and buy chickens, eggs and fruit and veggies that are locally grown (raised). I'm sure Juan can confirm this. I don't have any foul air or food from plastic. Crime is very low in the part of the city I live in. Besides, I didn't grow up in the city. I sense your anger and I'm sorry to have upset you. I did grow up knowing the law and personally knowing the police from the age of 13. So I guess in that respect, no, not everyone is "built" like me. I certainly hope not anyway. None of us are built like the other.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Hell, I don't even want to be built like me! :)

I still say, if you are going to shoot at someone, make sure it is lethal, cuz he'll sue you if he lives. If you only wound him, finish him off and either drag him in the house and claim self defense or bury the bugger in a secluded area. Police arn't in the habit of looking for missing thieves.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Somebody better tell my garden and berry trees they don't exist because I live urban. I doubt they would believe you.

Where the guy from AB crossed the line was his intent. Did he intend to merely protect his property by smashing his car into his ATV rendering them useless or was his intent to commit a crime that goes far beyond theft? The laws are clear about intent and this is why this guy will do time. Not for what he did but his intent in doing what he did.

That is for a jury to decide....not only whether he broke the law, but whether the law should even apply in this case.......

That's what juries are for......

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Les, you have just confirmed that it is a choice. You say you live there for your own sanity. I wouldn't mind living on the fringes of my city but the property is too expensive. You kind of chose the wrong person by citing what you have. For one thing - remember that I work at a grocery store. You live in BC. Do you think that most of our produce actually gets to the store from BC farms? I wish! It's either from California or Mexico! When we do get BC produce it is advertized highly. People will and do pay the extra price just to buy "local". Fish? Les - the ocean is within a few moments drive from my house. We have lots of local lakes and rivers as well. (we own a boat and we can go fishing). Have you ever been to Nanaimo and driven around a little. We can drive for about 5 min. or so and buy chickens, eggs and fruit and veggies that are locally grown (raised). I'm sure Juan can confirm this. I don't have any foul air or food from plastic. Crime is very low in the part of the city I live in. Besides, I didn't grow up in the city. I sense your anger and I'm sorry to have upset you. I did grow up knowing the law and personally knowing the police from the age of 13. So I guess in that respect, no, not everyone is "built" like me. I certainly hope not anyway. None of us are built like the other.
Well, thanks, but you still make an assumption that we had a choice of whether to stay in the city or not. Physically, yes we had a choice; emotionally, psychologically, no, we didn't. Being able to afford it is irrelevant. And the vast majority of people living in cities get their food from plastic. Not everyone can fish. No foul air in cities? That's just funny. You must like vehicle exhaust. Most of what we eat grows in our backyard or wanders around there. A fair bit comes from other farmers near here. We trade stuff, you see. I am convinced cities desensitize people about a variety of things such as food, and I have an idea that people value each other less when they are cramped up in cities.
At any rate, laws or not, someone tries thieving stuff around here and I or the wife noticesa, the perp will be fired upon and I don't give a hoot who wants to blame me because some moron wants stuff of ours that they didn't earn.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Of course crime is very low in the part of the city you live in. Different circumstance altogether. The cops are probably in the doughnut shop at the end of your block. The point is, this person lives in the country. Country blocks are way bigger ... and with a lot fewer cops. When you were thirteen, folks had a lot more respect for the law too. Now, cops are spread thin and everyone knows his rights....

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
People in New York City, and probably others, grow veggies n stuff on apartment roofs. So?

Where the guy from AB crossed the line was his intent. Did he intend to merely protect his property by smashing his car into his ATV rendering them useless or was his intent to commit a crime that goes far beyond theft?
Who knows what the guy's intent was?
The laws are clear about intent and this is why this guy will do time. Not for what he did but his intent in doing what he did.
Apparently, you know what the guy's intent was without a doubt. Well, good for you. I think his intent is still unproven. Wouldja like to be the executioner, too, besides being judge, jury and prosecutor?
See, to me, if the jerk hadn't been trying to steal stuff that wasn't his in the first place, he wouldn't have been ditched and shot at. It would have been a non-issue. And those that have confidence in the police being able to carry out their jobs perfectly are just delusional.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I never said there was no foul air in cities. I said the air was good where I live. We do get exhaust fumes though and that is one of the reasons I want to sell and build. You are also right about cramping. Our lot is much too close to our neighbours and I don't like that either. There is a difference in air quality where I live. I don't live anywhere near the downtown core.
You have also stated that you would shoot with salt. Stings like blazes but it won't kill anyone and I don't have a problem with that.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Of course crime is very low in the part of the city you live in. Different circumstance altogether. The cops are probably in the doughnut shop at the end of your block. The point is, this person lives in the country. Country blocks are way bigger ... and with a lot fewer cops. When you were thirteen, folks had a lot more respect for the law too. Now, cops are spread thin and everyone knows his rights....
Ha! How would you know that crime is low in the part of the city I live in? You say "of course" like you know where my house is. The Cop Shop is a long ways from my house so they wouldn't get here very fast either. Gosh, we have donut shops all over the city - even a couple right near the detachment. Probably the last place I would look for a cop now days. I may not know all the laws but - I do know about cops.;-)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ha! How would you know that crime is low in the part of the city I live in? You say "of course" like you know where my house is. The Cop Shop is a long ways from my house so they wouldn't get here very fast either. Gosh, we have donut shops all over the city - even a couple right near the detachment. Probably the last place I would look for a cop now days. I may not know all the laws but - I do know about cops.;-)

Maybe ... from you?

...air or food from plastic. Crime is very low in the part of the city I live in. Besides, I didn't grow up in the city....

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Another thing; I am a wee bit tired of idiots who use the law as an excuse to stick up for people that do things that society doesn't like.
Hmm - using the law as an excuse. So you are saying that Mr. Knight was on the side of the law when he used a firearm. That is against the law. He has the right to tackle the guy in regard to his property but I'm pretty sure he does not have the right to shoot at him. Neither does he have the right to call his neighbours and relatives rather than the police and form his own vigilante group so again - he was wrong. He rammed the vehicle. That alone could have caused a death. Again - I don't think he has the right to do that. I could handle a little peppering the guy's butt with salt or even shooting out the tires of the truck so the other two couldn't get away but his intent was to harm. Not sting, but really harm. He broke the law and he went too far. To me, that makes him on par with or worse than the guy who was stealing the ATV. I have to go to work now. I hope your day gets better Les. :lol: I really mean that.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hmm - using the law as an excuse. So you are saying that Mr. Knight was on the side of the law when he used a firearm.
Nope. I wish you would reread my comment instead of making an assumption about part of my comment.
That is against the law. He has the right to tackle the guy in regard to his property but I'm pretty sure he does not have the right to shoot at him.
Right, that is against the law. That should change, IMO.
Neither does he have the right to call his neighbours and relatives rather than the police and form his own vigilante group so again - he was wrong.
Right. It is against the law. That should change.
He rammed the vehicle. That alone could have caused a death. Again - I don't think he has the right to do that. I could handle a little peppering the guy's butt with salt or even shooting out the tires of the truck so the other two couldn't get away but his intent was to harm. Not sting, but really harm.
I am still not convinced of what the guy's intent was.
He broke the law and he went too far. To me, that makes him on par with or worse than the guy who was stealing the ATV.
Perhaps.
I have to go to work now. I hope your day gets better Les. :lol: I really mean that.
Thanks. :)

At any rate, if he's charged and I was the one charging him, I'd probably charge him with involuntary manslaughter if he had killed anyone and if he didn't kill anyone I'd charge him with dangerous use of a restricted weapon and sentence him to time served. Yes, I'd be soft on the crime. If the thieves came before me, I'd throw the book at them and give them the max.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I am still not convinced of what the guy's intent was.
He wasn't protecting his property. Judging by the photos of the damage he could care less about his property. He saw this as his "big chance to fix those @#$%^ers once and for all". His intent was pretty damn clear and I feel he got off lucky. He could have just as easily followed these guys and told the cops where he and the guys were on his cell phone.

What do any of us know about this guy? For all any of us know he was protecting his grow op.