Nanaimo, BC

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I wonder what it is that's driving Nanaimo's economy. In the old days of course it was coal mining and the lumber industry and pulp mill, but a lot of that stuff has dried up and yet Nanaimo seems to prosper and yet Alberni has really suffered losing the same basic industries and I can remember back in the 60s when Alberni was larger than Nanaimo, but what a difference today.
Tourism is up. Lots of building going on. Lots of Prairie people retiring here. We are a growing city but oddly enough - we are low on school children. We are much more affordable than Vancouver and Victoria when you look at the housing market and we are a newer city. We are still small enough to be comfortable and big enough to be comfortable. Our downtown core is being revamped and the boardwalk along the ocean is getting longer. More malls are opening up. What more can I say. Oh - more large ships are stopping in for a lookie loo and a few hours shopping. This is a beautiful island - all over.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm wondering if they still have the goats on the roof, if so probably different goats.

Yep, they're still there, munching away, and the crowds gather and shop and
stroll. We have breaky there once in a while. I usually avoid that area in the
summer, too crowded.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
True. Victoria people have the impression that they are special and the rest of us are low lifes. Many don't mind letting you know exactly how they feel. They sneer at this city like it was pure dirt. There was a time when I thought I might like to live there but after going there a few times, I would far rather live here. Victoria has some history that is interesting but I can easily live without it. I like it much better here, the people are friendly, I gather there can be some bad stuff happening in old town but for the most part, not much of anything at all happens here in the other end of the city. Lots of places to eat and shop. If your husband wants a fishing shop (and more) there is one in the mall by General Paints and Earls Rest. I think it's right next to Gen. Paints.
While it's not in Nanaimo - don't you love going to Coombs?
Sorry - was it you or Talloola that was searching for the fishing shop. Either way - the same information applies.
Which mall is the fishing store, not woodgrove, maybe the mall just before
the road down to the ferry?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Which mall is the fishing store, not woodgrove, maybe the mall just before
the road down to the ferry?
It would be more of a strip mall. Small and on the left on the road to the Departure Bay Ferry. Earl's Restaurant is in the same tiny mall. Earl's is at the other end - you want to be at the end of the mall that would be closer to Courtenay. It's a pretty well equipped little store. I believe a few years ago there was a store in that mall called Thunderbird. I'm not sure of that. Maybe Juan knows. I do know it is right next to the General Paint Store. So - watch for General Paints on the left and turn to go there and then just go next door to the Fishing Store. Sorry I don't know the name of it. We don't go down that way very often so I'm not really familiar with it.
Country Club Mall is about as far south as I usually go and Woodgrove in the other direction.
The best I can do for you is to give you the address of General Paints #700 - 2980 North Island Highway. Earl's is also listed as 2980.

ANTRTC

Feb 21, 2009
Nanaimo, BC
That Island In The Pacific

I have lived and worked on VI close to 19 years for the last 30 years. Have been based out of Gold River , Campbell River, and Nanaimo. I think Nanaimo is a great place to live just for the fact of the weather. It is relatively mild year round other than this winter. Travel on the highway is pretty good with lots of access points. We have two ferry terminals to gain access to the mainland. We are just over an hour and quarter from Victoria. We don't seem to have the massive traffic jams that plague the Greater Vancouver area.
For the most part Nanaimo is not a bad spot to live. It ain't heaven but who has found that place that had no problems.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Something has to "mow" that roof JLM. Yes - the goats are still there. They don't name them to the best of my knowledge, so - I really don't know if they are the same ones that were here when you lived here - not likely. Coombs has grown considerably but it's still a great place to spend a day and it's not hard to spend the better part of a day there (or even the better part of a pay cheque):lol:.

I remember seeing those and wondering if they ever fell off the roof at the start of them having them up there. Goats can be pretty feisty and freaked out.. If I had a memory I would remember if I asked and what they answered :(

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have lived and worked on VI close to 19 years for the last 30 years. Have been based out of Gold River , Campbell River, and Nanaimo. I think Nanaimo is a great place to live just for the fact of the weather. It is relatively mild year round other than this winter. Travel on the highway is pretty good with lots of access points. We have two ferry terminals to gain access to the mainland. We are just over an hour and quarter from Victoria. We don't seem to have the massive traffic jams that plague the Greater Vancouver area.
For the most part Nanaimo is not a bad spot to live. It ain't heaven but who has found that place that had no problems.

Yep, I'll go along with that, except I would say it's a great place to live for every other reason but the winter weather - too much rain (but I guess it beats snow) I lived there from '72-'76, of course it's way different now - most of it is between WEllington and Lantzville. Lots of friendly people in Nanaimo.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I remember seeing those and wondering if they ever fell off the roof a

Have you ever had the opportunity to watch baby goats play? They are the funniest little critters. They pogo around side ways, backwards, and forwards. They pop, spin, twirl and just jump around at random. It's so fun to watch. But it's serious business too. This is how they learn what they can and can't do. Goats hooves have amazing cripping abilities. They have great depth perception.

I don't think they'd fall off...THey can jump on to the roof as they want around the back.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Yep, I'll go along with that, except I would say it's a great place to live for every other reason but the winter weather - too much rain (but I guess it beats snow) I lived there from '72-'76, of course it's way different now - most of it is between WEllington and Lantzville. Lots of friendly people in Nanaimo.
I'm not sure how great it is today JLM. We have at least 5 inches of snow on the ground and it's still falling. The weather report says light flurries. I guess he hasn't looked outside but he does live in Nanoose. Maybe they don't have any out there. Oh my - bet it will be a snow day for the schools. Too bad - I go to work at 8:00 A.M. so I won't be kid sitting.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm not sure how great it is today JLM. We have at least 5 inches of snow on the ground and it's still falling. The weather report says light flurries. I guess he hasn't looked outside but he does live in Nanoose. Maybe they don't have any out there. Oh my - bet it will be a snow day for the schools. Too bad - I go to work at 8:00 A.M. so I won't be kid sitting.

My turn to laugh I guess, PLUS 3C here tonight, but raining.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

We have about eighteen inches right now and I do not want to shovel bloody snow in the morning so I'm rooting for rain.....We'll see what happens....;-)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Am I hearing you correctly Juan, 18 inches of snow? We have nothing, but what
is leftover from this morning, maybe an inch on the lawn, nothing anywhere else.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
We have about eighteen inches right now and I do not want to shovel bloody snow in the morning so I'm rooting for rain.....We'll see what happens....;-)
We live in the same city and you have that much! We have a good six inches and it's still falling. I even snapped a picture but haven't checked it yet. I hope it rains too. It's supposed to at some point tomorrow so we won't shovel it anyway unless it gets much worse overnight. I have a 4 wheel so I'll just drive through it to get to work. For some odd reason they have me booked for 8:00 A.M. Right now it doesn't matter what hours I work as long as I show up (more or less) so I would not have minded a later shift but this way it's done. Maybe if it doesn't rain tonight, it will before I'm off and it won't matter anyway. I hope it rains in the part of the city you are in Juan. We had that much snow nearly all winter long.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm going to lodge a complaint for unfair snow distribution. As soon as it gets light I will post a picture of our snow. There is easily a foot and a half on the back deck...maybe a bit more. We were expecting "flurries", and we are supposed to get a few more "flurries" of "light snow" today. :roll:;-)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm going to lodge a complaint for unfair snow distribution. As soon as it gets light I will post a picture of our snow. There is easily a foot and a half on the back deck...maybe a bit more. We were expecting "flurries", and we are supposed to get a few more "flurries" of "light snow" today. :roll:;-)

That little skiff you guys got is just a reminder of what can and does happen elsewhere (we've been under snow here for three months already and will be for at least another 3-4 weeks) to make you grateful. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I haven't spoken to my kids yet to see how much they got at their houses. One doesn't live far from us but the other one does and he often gets more than we do. My brother lives within a couple of blocks of the ocean and I bet he has lots too. Damn! I hear the snow plow. That means my driveway will be blocked in. I have to go so I will have to gun it and get over the pile. No time for shoveling now. No rain expected til Sunday and then we should get up to about 8C. I'll do a rain dance for us both Juan. (and Antrtc) Talloola - I think some of this should have dropped where you are. I understand Campbell River got snow too.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We live in the same city and you have that much! We have a good six inches and it's still falling. I even snapped a picture but haven't checked it yet. I hope it rains too. It's supposed to at some point tomorrow so we won't shovel it anyway unless it gets much worse overnight. I have a 4 wheel so I'll just drive through it to get to work. For some odd reason they have me booked for 8:00 A.M. Right now it doesn't matter what hours I work as long as I show up (more or less) so I would not have minded a later shift but this way it's done. Maybe if it doesn't rain tonight, it will before I'm off and it won't matter anyway. I hope it rains in the part of the city you are in Juan. We had that much snow nearly all winter long.

I wonder where the cut off area is Juan, as it makes me nervous when I hear
what is happening there, then I look out the window and it seems to be spring.
Sure hope it isn't travelling north.
Oh sorry, replied on wrong thread, oh well, Juan will read this anyway, doesn't
really matter, all three of us are islanders.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I haven't spoken to my kids yet to see how much they got at their houses. One doesn't live far from us but the other one does and he often gets more than we do. My brother lives within a couple of blocks of the ocean and I bet he has lots too. Damn! I hear the snow plow. That means my driveway will be blocked in. I have to go so I will have to gun it and get over the pile. No time for shoveling now. No rain expected til Sunday and then we should get up to about 8C. I'll do a rain dance for us both Juan. (and Antrtc) Talloola - I think some of this should have dropped where you are. I understand Campbell River got snow too.

there is nothing here but sunshine today. We got a little yesterday morning,(Wednesday)
but it was gone by late afternoon, yeah I heard c. river got some too, how
did it miss us, I want that recipe for the future.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
there is nothing here but sunshine today. We got a little yesterday morning,(Wednesday)
but it was gone by late afternoon, yeah I heard c. river got some too, how
did it miss us, I want that recipe for the future.

Must have been your turn. QB only got a skiff. Courtney got about 30cm.
The goats in Coombs have names, or at least the staff have names for them.