Nanaimo, BC

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Nanaimo, BC

In the immortal words of Harry Chapin "I spent a week there one afternoon"
Too bad you missed out on all this fair city has to offer.
A friend of mine once sent me a post card with a picture of the entire planet Earth taken from space. On the back it said,
"Wish you were here."
- Steven Wright

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The island isn't for everyone. I grew up on the southern portion. Victoria and the penninsula. My hubby grew up further up. There is a entirely different attitude on the island. We joke around about it. We usually just call it "Island time". But it encompasses alot more then just time...

I love the scenary. I love the ocean and that you are never further then a half hours drive from the ocean at any time. But it is different there.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Twila, have you been to Lantzville?

No, although I did pass it by twice on the weekend...on the way to Port Alberni from Nanaimo and back again.

Weirdly, until I'd seen the signs passing it a few years ago I didn't even know it existed! But that's the island for you...little gems of places not far off the beaten path and you could live your whole life there and not know about them...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The island isn't for everyone. I grew up on the southern portion. Victoria and the penninsula. My hubby grew up further up. There is a entirely different attitude on the island. We joke around about it. We usually just call it "Island time". But it encompasses alot more then just time...

I love the scenary. I love the ocean and that you are never further then a half hours drive from the ocean at any time. But it is different there.

I've lived for about forty-five years on Vancouver Island right from Victoria to Sayward. I lived in Victoria for five years and Victorians do have a different attitude from the rest of the Island or anywhere else. The people north of the Malahat are much like people anywhere and mostly very nice people (not to say there aren't some nice people living in Victoria - the western communities aren't bad)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't see the Cranberry listed in the phone book. The Wheatsheaf seems to still be here. I think I have been there on our way out RVing. I never actually looked at the name. :lol: I actually thought people were calling it the Wee Chief! I am surprized to see the real name 8O. From what I can tell there are 24 pubs. I guess that doesn't include some of the hotels as I know they are missing the Well (Wellington). The places you mention are a long ways from my home. We do go out to the pub sometimes (used to go every Thursday til I went back to work) but the main pub we go to is within walking distance. Just for that reason - I'll keep the name to myself. Oops - just before I hit the submit button, I see in the white pages a pub called the Cranberry Arms in Cedar so I guess the answer is yes - it is still here. Have you been to the Crow and Gate? It's out around some of those places too.

I've been doing a lot of thinking- about 23 years ago a bunch of us from work went on a weeks seminar at Yellow Point Lodge and it seems to me we did go the C & G for supper one night, but the memory is very dim. Years ago when we lived in Nanaimo, we had an office in Northfield just up the road (Old Island Hwy.) from the Quarterway, so used to toddle down there after work for a glass once in awhile.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I've lived for about forty-five years on Vancouver Island right from Victoria to Sayward. I lived in Victoria for five years and Victorians do have a different attitude from the rest of the Island or anywhere else. The people north of the Malahat are much like people anywhere and mostly very nice people (not to say there aren't some nice people living in Victoria - the western communities aren't bad)

So what do you think it is about Victoria? I work with a lady who's husband has had to go to Victoria on business...he hates dealing with the people. An old boss of mine has had dealings with Victoria and all he can say is "there's something weird there"

Many feel it, but nobody seems to have the exact word for it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So what do you think it is about Victoria? I work with a lady who's husband has had to go to Victoria on business...he hates dealing with the people. An old boss of mine has had dealings with Victoria and all he can say is "there's something weird there"

If I had the answer to that, I wouldn't need to buy lottery tickets. It could be isolation- there's enough in Victoria so for practical reasons they don't have to depend on anywhere else and have done so for so long they've probably forgotten there is anywhere else (that's important or meaningful) It's sure tough to put a finger on it. I can't say too much because I still have family & friends living in and around Victoria. Some people go there in old age to retire and for the climate and they are all right.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Could it have something to do with all those crooked politicians that haunt the place. It would give me the heebee jeebees too. I don't think it would take too long for all that slime to rub off.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Could it have something to do with all those crooked politicians that haunt the place. It would give me the heebee jeebees too. I don't think it would take too long for all that slime to rub off.

That could certainly be a part of it, Cliff, but there's more to it than that, they're not all slimy.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Yeah, Nanaimo probably has more shopping malls per capita than any other place in North America which sure makes it attractive to the ladies.
That was true not that long ago. I doubt it has changed. We have another new small strip mall and another one in the making - both in the North End. One is where the new Mark's Work Wearhouse is and the other is over behind Costco.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

True. Victoria people have the impression that they are special and the rest of us are low lifes. Many don't mind letting you know exactly how they feel. They sneer at this city like it was pure dirt. There was a time when I thought I might like to live there but after going there a few times, I would far rather live here. Victoria has some history that is interesting but I can easily live without it. I like it much better here, the people are friendly, I gather there can be some bad stuff happening in old town but for the most part, not much of anything at all happens here in the other end of the city. Lots of places to eat and shop. If your husband wants a fishing shop (and more) there is one in the mall by General Paints and Earls Rest. I think it's right next to Gen. Paints.
While it's not in Nanaimo - don't you love going to Coombs?
Sorry - was it you or Talloola that was searching for the fishing shop. Either way - the same information applies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That was true not that long ago. I doubt it has changed. We have another new small strip mall and another one in the making - both in the North End. One is where the new Mark's Work Wearhouse is and the other is over behind Costco.

I wonder what it is that's driving Nanaimo's economy. In the old days of course it was coal mining and the lumber industry and pulp mill, but a lot of that stuff has dried up and yet Nanaimo seems to prosper and yet Alberni has really suffered losing the same basic industries and I can remember back in the 60s when Alberni was larger than Nanaimo, but what a difference today.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Absolutely- with some it may be snobbery.

Maybe. Maybe it's a culmination of snobbery, and fear and a few other things. But like you said, it's not everybody.

True. Victoria people have the impression that they are special and the rest of us are low lifes. Many don't mind letting you know exactly how they feel. They sneer at this city like it was pure dirt. There was a time when I thought I might like to live there but after going there a few times, I would far rather live here. Victoria has some history that is interesting but I can easily live without it. I like it much better here, the people are friendly, I gather there can be some bad stuff happening in old town but for the most part, not much of anything at all happens here in the other end of the city. Lots of places to eat and shop. If your husband wants a fishing shop (and more) there is one in the mall by General Paints and Earls Rest. I think it's right next to Gen. Paints.
While it's not in Nanaimo - don't you love going to Coombs?
Sorry - was it you or Talloola that was searching for the fishing shop. Either way - the same information applies.

Ask Victorians about Vancouver and you almost have to run for cover! Its almost like those French Canadians who want to loose the Canadian part. Victoria almost has the mentality that it's its own little country.

LOVE Coombs! When ever we're any where near we go. I love the little shops and the statues!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maybe. Maybe it's a culmination of snobbery, and fear and a few other things. But like you said, it's not everybody.

Ask Victorians about Vancouver and you almost have to run for cover! Its almost like those French Canadians who want to loose the Canadian part. Victoria almost has the mentality that it's its own little country.

LOVE Coombs! When ever we're any where near we go. I love the little shops and the statues!

I'm wondering if they still have the goats on the roof, if so probably different goats.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm wondering if they still have the goats on the roof, if so probably different goats.
Something has to "mow" that roof JLM. Yes - the goats are still there. They don't name them to the best of my knowledge, so - I really don't know if they are the same ones that were here when you lived here - not likely. Coombs has grown considerably but it's still a great place to spend a day and it's not hard to spend the better part of a day there (or even the better part of a pay cheque):lol:.