Who do you call a war hero?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Perhaps he secretely enjoyed the tortures..some people get off of pain. I personally believe the cong broke the man,physically, spiritually and mentally.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Audie Murphy, a true war hero. That's my definition of one.

I agree with this. I do not think McCain is a "War Hero". Nor do I think he was an incompetent pilot or an idiot. The opinion of mine that he is not a war hero does not mean that he wasn't brave or did not endure sacrifices.

People like Audie Murphy, Sgt York in WWI, Sgt. Bassillone on Guadacanal in WWII qualify as war heroes in my opinion because they committed acts of bravery above and beyond the call of duty.

Branding guys and gals like McCain and that girl Jessica from West Virginia that was knocked out cold and captured as war heroes takes from the ones that truly do something heroic in combat.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Perhaps he secretely enjoyed the tortures..some people get off of pain. I personally believe the cong broke the man,physically, spiritually and mentally.
I choose not to venture an opinion on that statement.
scratch

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

He wasn't captured by the Cong...he was captured by the NVA.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well besides his continual crashes of his planes and not paying attention in his training to know how to eject out of his plane at one time.... most call him a war hero because they tried to tade him off in a POW exchange for political purposes because his daddy was a top badge in the military and would have done some political damage for the US's war, his father and himself.

They all call him a war hero because he stuck to the "First man in, first man out" process. They tried to bump him ahead of others, but he decided to let others leave by order before him.

Does that make him a war hero? In my books no, since he was simply following orders like every other POW there. If he did jump on the chance and left for back home when he could, he'd probably get his ass kicked by the other POW's before he got out of his bed.

The only reason why he's considered a war hero is because he was thrown in front of the camera more then others to help with propaganda for the war and because of his daddy's position in the military. Nothing more.

Then again, the War Hero title does do good for brownie points in an election I suppose.

Praxius, this is crap. read the article I posted, please.

The man sacrificed in order to help his fellows. That is heroic.

Dislike his politics, or his personality, fine.

But give the man his due........

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Jeez,Colpy..just because we don't have your extensive war record..lighten up,eh?:lol:
Hero is, or should be an extinct word. As you said (it seems that we could be dopplegangers) what you were taught growing up was the same thing I was taught. It has never left us and what we do for others without a second thought on a daily basis is more `heroic` than anything else.
If a soldier is given correct training and guidance the word hero never comes to mind. Whatever McCain or Murphy did was part of their `job description` as a soldier, no more, no less.

regards,
scratch

Last edited:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Hero is, or should be an extinct word. As you said (it seems that we could be dopplegangers) what you were taught growing up was the same thing I was taught. It has never left us and what we do for others without a second thought on a daily basis is more `heroic` than anything else.
If a soldier is given correct training and guidance the word hero never comes to mind. Whatever McCain or Murphy did was part of their `job description` as a soldier, no more, no less.

regards,
scratch
And that also applies in full to the firemen/women and policemen/women during 9/11.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
War hero? I don't think so. There were thousands of others who fought in that stupid war who were better qualified as "war heros" than McCain. McCain did his work from the air conditioned comfort of the A-4 cockpit he was riding in. Missions over the target were short but McCain could see the people he was killing. He could see that he wasn't bombing military targets, but civillian villages. American bomber pilots killed a couple million civillians in Viet Nam. McCain was just one of many Ask the Viet Namese is they thought he was a hero.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And that also applies in full to the firemen/women and policemen/women during 9/11.

Oh you really got us mad on that one! :roll:

So I guess that includes every Canadian FF or cop who rescues someone as well. If someone pulls one of your loved ones from a burning house you'll just take your child (if you have one, et all...) and say...

"Whatever...it's your job."