This summer may see first ice-free North Pole

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
More ice than expected in parts of the Arctic

2008-07-24

Ice at Spitsbergen (Barentsphoto.com)

New data from the Norwegian Meteorological Institute shows that there is more ice than normal in the Arctic waters north of the Svalbard archipelago.

In most years, there are open waters in the area north of the archipelago in July month. Studies from this year however show that the area is covered by ice, the Meteorological Institute writes in a press release.
In mid-July, the research vessel Lance and the Swedish shp MV Stockholm got stuck in ice in the area and needed help from the Norwegian Coast Guard to get loose.
The ice findings from the area spurred surprise among the researchers, many of whom expect the very North Pole to be ice-free by September this year.

Better ice than not.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Um, it is only a month away from Sept. I cannot see that amount of ice melting in that period. Tables of the mass of ice in the arctic:

http://www.crrel.usace.army.mil/sid/IMB/buoysum.htm

Lookit this set of graphs, particularly the temperature graph:

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/gallery_np_weatherdata.html

In order for the ice to be gone from the north pole, the temperature would have to rise drastically throughout August. I can't see it happening. Ever tried to melt a block of ice 1.9 meters thick in temperatures around 0C? It doesn't happen fast.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
We have reached the apex of Arctic ice-melt for 2008, about 750,000 square km less melt than last year. There is about 3.75 million sq.km. of ice on the Arctic Ocean; so much for an ice-free Arctic. Maybe next year Al and David can rejoice. Bloody AGW's.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
On the up side, real estate is quite cheap up that way. Get yours today and be the first on your block to go Arctic!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
50/50 huh? I don't believe it, that's too good a prediction for current models; sounds like a wild guess. :lol:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Artic Sea Ice Melt Season Officially Over; ice up over 9% from last year

16 09 2008
We have news from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC). They say: The melt is over. And we’ve added 9.4% ice coverage from this time last year. Though it appears NSIDC is attempting to downplay this in their web page announcement today, one can safely say that despite irrational predictions seen earlier this year, we didn’t reach an “ice free north pole” nor a new record low for sea ice extent.
Here is the current sea ice extent graph from NSIDC as of today, notice the upturn, which has been adding ice now for 5 days:

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Ice cap melting? Good news.
Now if we could just fix it so the climate never changes again in a million years I will plant a palm tree on Hans Island.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Artic Sea Ice Melt Season Officially Over; ice up over 9% from last year

16 09 2008
We have news from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC). They say: The melt is over. And we’ve added 9.4% ice coverage from this time last year. Though it appears NSIDC is attempting to downplay this in their web page announcement today, one can safely say that despite irrational predictions seen earlier this year, we didn’t reach an “ice free north pole” nor a new record low for sea ice extent.
Here is the current sea ice extent graph from NSIDC as of today, notice the upturn, which has been adding ice now for 5 days:

Wow, just shy of a record low, I guess climate change has ended.:roll:

I suspect the flat earthers in the denier press will love this.....until next year of course.:lol:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Yup. The climate changes. Mean temps go up & down. How about that?
What's next year gonna be like? Is this ice age gonna last or is it just a spike and in a couple years it'll be even warmer?

The Earth is its own master. We'll never know all its mysteries.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Getting really really thin, sort of like the ice the deniers are standing on.:lol:

I think GW is turning into some kind of religion. It's adherents are using the same head in the sand, circular thinking, and appeals to belief that religionists use.

You still need evidence of why the planet is warming up and you need to prove it has anything at all to do with people.

Everybody knows people are polluting the earth but that does not mean we are causing warming. We are causing all kinds of things but warming has not been shown to be one of them.

It is a select few that want to cut their nose of because of it though.