Let's Bring Back the Old Gods!

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Now, gentle posters, I've been giving this some thought. If we, as Canadians, are stuck with a sovereign from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (I know, they're calling themselves Windsors now), why not go all the way and not only have North-Germanic kings and queens but the Old Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Germanic Gods as well?
Tiw
From time to time, when bored, I slip into the theological debates on this message board. May I quote from one where tempers continue to rage?!
Quote:
"Jesus was a prophet!"
"No, he wasn't"
"Yes, he was!"
"No, he wasn't!"
"Well, what was he then?"
"He was God!"
"No, he wasn't!"
"Yes, he was!"
"There is no God!"
"Yes, there is!"
No, there is not!"
"You're going to go to hell!"
"No, I'm not"
"Yes, you are"
"There is no hell"
"Is, too!"
"Isn't!"
And so on, and so forth.

Now wouldn't an argument about Tiw or Woden be a pleasant change?
Try it, it may be fun!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I have always been of the mind that if you live on a land, you should know what the spirituality that was born out of that land (ie: the native spirituality of whatever tribe occupied the territory you are living in).

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I agree. Anna mentioned the Windigo the other day.
Wendigo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I suggest it is foolhardy to ignore both the good and malevolent spirits who dwelt in the woods and on the plains well before Saint George and the dragon!
Mind you, we may be treading on royalist toes!
The royals are a bunch of inbred mutants, so who cares what royalists think?;-)
Dragons were present here too. I forget the fellow who slew the last of them in the Slocan Valley. He was an old Sinixt medicine man. According to the chief, it was not that long ago.
The Great Spirit went by many names in America, almost as any as there were languages (2500 the last I heard). The Cree had a few different dialects so I'm not sure which handle he went by on Aether Island.
Wendigo ate human souls. Nasty piece of work he was, but he became more of a "scare the crap out of the kids" so they would behave type of boogie man. Today, I don't know how many subscribe to his belief. Kinda like Satan. He exists only in the minds of those who believe in him.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Dragons ceased to exist when people stopped believing in them. Things, gods, demons only exist in a belief system. Pan used to exist then faded from sight. Now he is coming back in some circles. That is why I say that Satan is alive and doing well in Christianity.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Now, gentle posters, I've been giving this some thought. If we, as Canadians, are stuck with a sovereign from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (I know, they're calling themselves Windsors now), why not go all the way and not only have North-Germanic kings and queens but the Old Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Germanic Gods as well?
Tiw
From time to time, when bored, I slip into the theological debates on this message board. May I quote from one where tempers continue to rage?!
Quote:
"Jesus was a prophet!"
"No, he wasn't"
"Yes, he was!"
"No, he wasn't!"
"Well, what was he then?"
"He was God!"
"No, he wasn't!"
"Yes, he was!"
"There is no God!"
"Yes, there is!"
No, there is not!"
"You're going to go to hell!"
"No, I'm not"
"Yes, you are"
"There is no hell"
"Is, too!"
"Isn't!"
And so on, and so forth.

Now wouldn't an argument about Tiw or Woden be a pleasant change?
Try it, it may be fun!
No, it wouldn't.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The royals are a bunch of inbred mutants, so who cares what royalists think?;-)
Dragons were present here too. I forget the fellow who slew the last of them in the Slocan Valley. He was an old Sinixt medicine man. According to the chief, it was not that long ago.
The Great Spirit went by many names in America, almost as any as there were languages (2500 the last I heard). The Cree had a few different dialects so I'm not sure which handle he went by on Aether Island.
Wendigo ate human souls. Nasty piece of work he was, but he became more of a "scare the crap out of the kids" so they would behave type of boogie man. Today, I don't know how many subscribe to his belief. Kinda like Satan. He exists only in the minds of those who believe in him.
I prefer to think that they exist in everyone, just that instead of calling the malevolent part of me by "evil", I just say its the "Wendigo" in me, or the gardener in me by "Nookomis", etc.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Who cares what royalists think?;-)

it is clear that as a religious thinker, you are a republican. How dare you suggest that instead of worshipping foreign gods, we should be content with the indigenous kind. That, my friend, is tantamount to saying that we could sever our ties with the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and have our own, domestic head of state. I thought that suggestion was soundly ridiculed in the thread "Fire the Governor's Generals!" Deep thinkers said we owe our entire "democracy" to our betters with inherited titles.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
What are you calling "twaddle"? Besides, how is this "twaddle" as you so unkindly put it, any different from the "twaddle" on any other religious thread?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What are you calling "twaddle"? Besides, how is this "twaddle" as you so unkindly put it, any different from the "twaddle" on any other religious thread?
This *holds up hand with twaddle in it* is twaddle as opposed to piffle. It's a different color than piffle and it sounds differently. This twaddle is not different from other twaddle. :D

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Insults to the Canadian Monarchy

I think that there is merit in believing in whatever you’d like to believe in — as far as I am concerned, the power with each and every god or goddess (or God, or the Lord, or whatever or Whomever else) is within their metaphors and the teachings brought forward through Their stories. Does it matter if they’re “real”, if the end-result (i.e., the teaching of morals and the difference between good and evil, and et cetera) was a success? I myself have a rather complicated belief system (with a bit of lore from so many different sources), which is completely and entirely independent of my loyalty to Her Majesty The Queen of Canada, and Her Majesty’s heirs and successors.

My respect for the monarchy is not one of Christian faith, but one of a deep and profound respect for the constitutional relationship between The Sovereign and the Canadian people, and a sincere appreciation for the fantastic work done on a day-to-day basis by The Royal Family of Canada to better the world around them. It has nothing to do with inherited titles, and everything to do with the best possible system to provide peace, order and good government for Canadians.

Is it so difficult to believe that there are those who think that constitutional monarchy is the best system of representative-democratic government?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sheeeesh. Does politics have to sneak into every conversation, 5P?
I agree with most of your first paragraph. The rest I don't care about.